“Passion for PDX”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #43 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm afraid I didn't take advantage of all the offerings at the River's Edge, I arrived late and Christy at the desk was most welcoming and cordial. I did find my room comfortable and large for a wheelchair accessible room. I did like the breakfast service located in each floor's elevator lobby. No schlepping to the lobby. Bed and linens were good, The Hotel is at the bottom of a steep incline and for that fact I won't return. For you AB types I would recommend it. I did not eat at the facility restaurant so can't comment.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear BBECKER258,

One more reason to come back to River's Edge Hotel and Spa and this time let's make sure you stop by our Fitness Center, dine at Aquariva Italian Kitchen, and why not, reserve a spa treatment. If you need assistance with all these, do not hesitate to contact me.

ana.maret@riversedgehotel.com

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Loved our stay at this hotel! Unique setting amongst office buildings, but right beside the Willamette River! There is a wonderful walking/cycling trail that is at your doorstep. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
Our room was lovely, clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. We were on the hill side of the building,which was fine at this time of year. But a room overlooking the river would be fantastic at other times. The bed was super comfortable with very nice quality linens. My only complaint was the pillows were much too puffy for me! The two comfy chairs allowed both of us to see the TV, not always the case!The continental breakfast was delicious, real orange juice, a fantastic granola and homemade(not Costco type) baked goods .Having this served in the elevator area is quite unusual, but it works amazingly well. A tray to carry food to the room would have been helpful. We enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Aquaviva restaurant, which has a lovely view of the river.

We liked the fact that we could walk to a streetcar stop in about 10 mins., so trips downtown were easy. This area is undergoing a real redevelopment and is looking very good---a place to watch. The Portland Aerial Tram and The Old Spaghetti Factory are easy walks, too.

We would certainly recommend this hotel for a quiet and convenient location.

Room Tip: Choose the riverside.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Littledodi,

Thank you for your incredible 5 star review, we truly appreciate your high remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the River Edge and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Everything is in such fine condition that I thought it was a brand new hotel. Our room was beautifully decorated and had a view of the Willamette River. It was hard to believe we were in a large metropolitan area. The staff bent over backwards to be helpful and always had smiles and interest in us as people.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Bosslady897,

It is great to know you enjoyed your accommodations and views from your room, we are truly blessed with our location. Thank you for mentioning our helpful, friendly staff. Looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is not a bad hotel. In fact, our room was very nice. It was large, faced the river and was well equipped. The bed was very good and the bathroom was exceptional. The television was old and the refrigerator had been removed from the armoire but this did not detract from our stay. We did have to prop open the door of the armoire with the luggage rack in order to watch TV.

I don't know what to say about the continental breakfast. What little there was of it was well displayed and tasty. The problem was that the breakfast was served on the second floor elevator landing. This was an ordinary elevator landing with two lounge chairs flanking a small cabinet on which the breakfast was laid out. There were no tables and no trays for carrying your breakfast back to your room. I can't think of why they bother providing such a breakfast in what is otherwise a good hotel.

We booked this hotel through TravelPortland.com on their Portland Perks package. The package included discounted rate, free parking, continental breakfast and the Portland Perks Coupon Book. This package is offered by most Portland hotels and is a great value, particularly if you make use of the coupons. Also to be included in the package was a Portland Passport. This was a temporary promotion and offered coupons fpr some of Portland's special places.

The clerk who checked us in knew nothing about the Portland Passport. He told us to contact the front desk in the morning. I did contact the desk at 8:00 in the morning and the staff knew nothing about the passport promotion. They said that they would talk to their supervisor and have one for me when I returned in the evening. There was no passport when I returned that evening and the clerk on duty knew nothing. He did consult what looked like some sort of log book, but there was nothing in it about my request.

The River's Edge Hotel is on the very edge of downtown Portland. You will need your car or you can walk a few blocks to catch a bus.

Room Tip: Book a river front room. There is nothing between the hotel and the river except a bike path.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very nice hotel, a bit out of the way from downtown Portland, and hard to find. Better signage would help locate it. We had a third floor room with a covered balcony (important to ask for if you plan to spend time on the balcony, as it
rains nearly non-stop). The room was spacious, the beds very comfortable, and the breakfast served on each floor was more than adequate, with fresh
breads and homemade granola, juices, etc. Within walking distance of the trolley into downtown. Walking/running path along river right outside.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a covered balcony facing the river.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Jan R,

There is nothing better than knowing you were pleased with your stay. Thank you for the five star review and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked through hotwire. Lobby is modern, but warm. Everyone was very friendly including front desk and guys who park your car (this is not optional, valet is the only way that you can park here.) I was assigned a room for disabled guests (I did not request this) on the third floor overlooking a roof. It seems that Hotwire guests frequently get the worst rooms, but why does it so often seem that hotels assume hotwire guests want disabled rooms...? I digress.

The room was well decorated, appointed and comfortable with a great bed that had high-end linens. My only complaint about the room was the ironing board. It was the worst ironing board in the history of ironing. It was difficult to open, and after having done so, was covered with the most wrinkled cover pad every made. It was so wrinkled, sea shantys could have been written of it... I briefly tried to use it, and it made my shirt far more wrinkly than when I started. Shar-pei puppies could use this board if they found themselves getting too smooth. It was that bad.

Nice gym is part of the hotel.

Location has good access to the freeways and a nice location along the river (as you'd expect from the name.)

There is nothing much within walking distance, so you'll need a cab or car if you want to go downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a non-wrinkled ironing board.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Kat&John,

I am glad you enjoyed most of our amenities and our friendly staff. I am very sorry you feel we labeled you because of the source of your booking, we strive to provide great customer service to all our guests.

My apologies for the ironing board experience, I located the ironing board, replaced it with a new one and we are inspecting closely other rooms. You sent me directly to Google to search about the history of the ironing board.

"The earliest known ironing boards were used by the Vikings in the 9th century. They were made from flat pieces of whalebone, on which Viking women would press their clothes using heated rocks"

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our room was beautifully appointed, including the rare touches of a living plant (!) and interesting artwork on the walls. Beds were very comfortable, it was clean and spacious and it was wonderful to have two comfortable sitting chairs in the room. The buffet continental breakfast was really good, and it being available on our floor was brilliant. Good coffee, too. Would have valued decaff somewhere in the hotel - would have been happy to travel the hotel for it, understand it might be wasted having it on every floor.

The staff all did a superb job. I don't know what you're doing for teamwork, but I actually believed each person truly cared about my experience. Wow.

The downsides - the wireless was useless in our room, and that wasn't insignificant. We were offered a change of rooms for the 2nd night when I mentioned it but at that point it seemed easier to make do than to move. If it's important to you, mention it as they go through their upgrading of this service. And the phone didn't seem to work - the serviceperson who came did get it to work on the 2nd line (not the 1st), but it concerns me, thinking of someone needing to use it urgently in the middle of the night and not discovering the trick of using the 2nd line. He said he's recommending they switch to one line phones anyway.

We only ate at the restaurant from the appetizer menu, but that food was interesting, the staff great, and happy hour pricing was a plus. The view of the river and moon rising from threre was superb.

Lovely to have the river walk right there!!

We only used the jacuzzi and it was clean, just-right hot, and the spa facilities were excellent.

Definitely recommended. :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Vanberk1

Thank you for writing such a nice review about your recent stay and for letting us know you enjoyed your accommodations, continental breakfast, and received outstanding customer service, we all are really excited to read this. It kills me to know that we failed to inform you of decaff being available to all our guests on the first floor.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our Wi-Fi system and hope to have the low signal strength corrected shortly. We are happy to hear that you recommend our hotel and hope you stay with us again in the future.