“Comfortable hotel with balcony views of river”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very nice hotel, a bit out of the way from downtown Portland, and hard to find. Better signage would help locate it. We had a third floor room with a covered balcony (important to ask for if you plan to spend time on the balcony, as it
rains nearly non-stop). The room was spacious, the beds very comfortable, and the breakfast served on each floor was more than adequate, with fresh
breads and homemade granola, juices, etc. Within walking distance of the trolley into downtown. Walking/running path along river right outside.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a covered balcony facing the river.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Jan R,

There is nothing better than knowing you were pleased with your stay. Thank you for the five star review and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked through hotwire. Lobby is modern, but warm. Everyone was very friendly including front desk and guys who park your car (this is not optional, valet is the only way that you can park here.) I was assigned a room for disabled guests (I did not request this) on the third floor overlooking a roof. It seems that Hotwire guests frequently get the worst rooms, but why does it so often seem that hotels assume hotwire guests want disabled rooms...? I digress.

The room was well decorated, appointed and comfortable with a great bed that had high-end linens. My only complaint about the room was the ironing board. It was the worst ironing board in the history of ironing. It was difficult to open, and after having done so, was covered with the most wrinkled cover pad every made. It was so wrinkled, sea shantys could have been written of it... I briefly tried to use it, and it made my shirt far more wrinkly than when I started. Shar-pei puppies could use this board if they found themselves getting too smooth. It was that bad.

Nice gym is part of the hotel.

Location has good access to the freeways and a nice location along the river (as you'd expect from the name.)

There is nothing much within walking distance, so you'll need a cab or car if you want to go downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a non-wrinkled ironing board.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Kat&John,

I am glad you enjoyed most of our amenities and our friendly staff. I am very sorry you feel we labeled you because of the source of your booking, we strive to provide great customer service to all our guests.

My apologies for the ironing board experience, I located the ironing board, replaced it with a new one and we are inspecting closely other rooms. You sent me directly to Google to search about the history of the ironing board.

"The earliest known ironing boards were used by the Vikings in the 9th century. They were made from flat pieces of whalebone, on which Viking women would press their clothes using heated rocks"

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our room was beautifully appointed, including the rare touches of a living plant (!) and interesting artwork on the walls. Beds were very comfortable, it was clean and spacious and it was wonderful to have two comfortable sitting chairs in the room. The buffet continental breakfast was really good, and it being available on our floor was brilliant. Good coffee, too. Would have valued decaff somewhere in the hotel - would have been happy to travel the hotel for it, understand it might be wasted having it on every floor.

The staff all did a superb job. I don't know what you're doing for teamwork, but I actually believed each person truly cared about my experience. Wow.

The downsides - the wireless was useless in our room, and that wasn't insignificant. We were offered a change of rooms for the 2nd night when I mentioned it but at that point it seemed easier to make do than to move. If it's important to you, mention it as they go through their upgrading of this service. And the phone didn't seem to work - the serviceperson who came did get it to work on the 2nd line (not the 1st), but it concerns me, thinking of someone needing to use it urgently in the middle of the night and not discovering the trick of using the 2nd line. He said he's recommending they switch to one line phones anyway.

We only ate at the restaurant from the appetizer menu, but that food was interesting, the staff great, and happy hour pricing was a plus. The view of the river and moon rising from threre was superb.

Lovely to have the river walk right there!!

We only used the jacuzzi and it was clean, just-right hot, and the spa facilities were excellent.

Definitely recommended. :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Vanberk1

Thank you for writing such a nice review about your recent stay and for letting us know you enjoyed your accommodations, continental breakfast, and received outstanding customer service, we all are really excited to read this. It kills me to know that we failed to inform you of decaff being available to all our guests on the first floor.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our Wi-Fi system and hope to have the low signal strength corrected shortly. We are happy to hear that you recommend our hotel and hope you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Rivers Edge hotel is nice. The rooms are nice and clean. It’s is great looking out onto the river. Spa is nice, but one down fall. The spa is separate male and female, my wife was looking forward to spending time in the tub and sit in the sauna together, but nope, I had to spend my time without her with some old men. Not my idea of nice time. Regular price for this hotel I feel is expensive. We would come back again, but only at a Groupon price. It was also kind of awkward with the parking, the only way to park is using the valet parking. We didn’t like the idea of our valuables in our truck with someone having our keys. Other than that the stay was nice. Im saying the spa is poor only because of not enjoying it with my wife. The spa is nice .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John D
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience. River's Edge Hotel and spa offers Valet parking only, we understand your concerns about the hotel keeping your keys but rest assure they were always in good, professional hands.

Regards,

503.802.5800

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Intimate and exclusive. . .This boutique hotel is a treat to enjoy. Comparable to the Four Seasons and half the price. The restaurant is fabulous and a high point for the foodie at heart. The staff is responsive and helpful and they make you feel good when you tip them - it is nice to be appreciated for doing something that is expected and customary. I would definitely recommend this couples looking for a romantic get away.

Room Tip: River view rooms are the best and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear MsExperience,

Thank you for helping us putting the secret out there, we appreciate it. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the meals you had while visiting our property. And thank you for recommending our hotel and our Aquariva Italian Kitchen to the TripAdvisor community.

Regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I travel from the UK. The hotel was booked for us by our daughter. We could not have been happier with our stay. We were upgraded to a riverside view. The room was excellent with great views. We enjoyed the breakfast and the spa was lovely. There is a nice path for a morning jog. It is easy to catch a tram to the centre of Portland. All of the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed it so much I am returning for another vist in a few weeks.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Jeanette P,

And we can not wait for you to come back and experience another great stay, thank you so much for your five star review and for sharing your experience wit the Tripadvisor community. Have your daughter contact me to assist with your future reservations arrangements.

River's Edge Hotel and Spa

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Spent the past two nights at this renamed hotel (it was the Avalon) and found it to be on the verge of becoming one of Portland's really fine small hotels. The service in this place rivals that of any other hotel. The parking valet, and I wish I could remember his name, as he was fabulous, went out of his way to be of assistance and helpfulness every time we encountered him. They have a "continental" breakfast, as most places do, but theirs is different, as they have it set up on each floor, so that you can shuffle down for a cup of coffee at 6:30 in the morning, and don't have be be looking pretty to do it, as you would if you had to go to the main lobby. Go for the rooms that have the river view, as it is very pretty, and peaceful, and far better than the other side of the building. Worth the little extra money. Will I stay there again?? You bet!

Room Tip: As I mentioned earlier, as for a river view room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jack M,

We are delighted to share your review with our team. We talk about the importance of delivering excellent service all the time and your review supports the reason why we say this.

Thank you for posting these suggestions and sharing them with the TripAdvisor community, we are excited your stay was excellent and we look forward to seeing you again soon.