“Urban Escape”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Urban Escape”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked a night here for a "stay-cation" and thrilled with our experience. Attentive staff from the minute we arrived at the valet all the way to our room. Little touches like continental breakfast on each floor and citrus-infused ice water in the lobby made it better than expected. Location is perfect - right on the river and SO close to downtown. Relaxing views of the water and sunrise from wall-wall windows with European-style hinge door to the private terrace and riverside walking path right out the lobby door. Also ppreciated not having to pay extra for wi-fi internet and actually having it in the guest room!

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, get a river view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear MT,

We love "stay-cationers" and we love to read your great review. Thank you for sharing your experience, see you again soon.

Ana Maret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Madison, Indiana
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel experience was pretty much as expected: friendly staff, clean rooms, tv, comfortable bed. What I didn't expect: two comfortable club chairs, very smart looking bathroom, and the modern art throughout. My wife even had time for a pedicure just before we left for the airport, which pleased her very much -- not to mention how much the security staff at the airport appreciated her painted toes and smooth heels. The breakfast was also a handy treat - especially since dinner at the restaurant next door was awful the night before. I'm not clear on the relationship between the hotel and the restaurant but I would not recommend eating there. Finally, 20 bucks for parking is a bit much.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillThree
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear BillJIndianapolis

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. Your compliments of our service, room, Continental Breakfast are certainly appreciated. We apologize for your less than positive experience at our Aquariva Italian Kitchen, if you wish to share it with us, please e-mail me at ana.maret@riversedgehotel.com, we would like to correct the issue.

If your travels bring you to Portland again, we would love the opportunity to host you on your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a 2 star in a pretty dress. Located far from downtown Portland, this "gem" features concrete drills, guys wearing hardhats in cherry pickers right outside your window. High quality 1992 24" Zenith tube TV's, bags of ice in a freezer in the hallway instead of an ice machine, no vending, abysmal wifi, valet parking only, dirty windows and a lovely view of train tracks and an office building.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank SomEttVakum
HMGR, General Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear SomEttVakum,

Thank you for your comments and sharing your concerns, We are disappointed you felt the River’s Edge Hotel & Spa hotel failed to meet the standards that you expected. Although you did reserve a hillside room view which does unfortunately face offices and a no longer in use railroad track, we do have river front view rooms on the opposite side of the hotel that are only slightly more expensive. We extend our apologies for the disruption the construction work caused, please be assured this was an isolated event to fix an issue with one of the privately owned condos above the hotel.

Should you return to Portland, feel free to contact me directly to allow me to assist with your reservations.
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We often have to make trips to OHSU, and have stayed here many times. Yes, it it a little out of the way, but it's an easy walk to the free max line, and to OHSU if you don't want to take your car. We often walk, or take the car to the Waterfront area to eat or take the max to go downtown. Hotel staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and they don't charge for parking if you drive a hybrid. I've asked for a refrigerator several times, and it's always plugged in and cool when we arrive. Continental breakfast is modest, but Happy Hour at the nearby restaurant has nice outdoor tables and is a pleasant respite. Will stay there again as needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank anonymous60992
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Anonymous60992,

Thank you for your comments, we are so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. And yes, we reward those who, like us, understand the importance of promoting alternative fuels by providing preferred no fee parking for guests arriving in an alternative fuel vehicle.

We look forward to seeing you at River's Edge Hotel and Spa on your next trip to Portland.

Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Let me begin by complementing the staff. Everyone, from the valet guys to the maintenance staff was friendly and seemed to be fairly efficient. Yes, the spa seems to be great, and the health club is better than any hotel based facility, or even most "resorts". However, that's where things left off for me.

I should also warn the reader that I can be critical, sometimes perhaps a little too much so. But beign a frequent busienss traveler I tend not to let outside activities and events effect my reviews. I call it like I see it.

The room: well, it was not tiny, but I would not say spacious either. The balcony (I had a river view room) was excellant for time "away", and brought the value of the room to me up significantly. However, what is most important to me is my sleep while traveling. The bed had a noticable crater on one side, which if you tried to sleep on top of, well, you moved. The linen was pleasant and clean, but it truly was hard to get beyond the prior guest's mark left in the mattress.

The room was pleasantly adorned, but there is NO refrigerator and NO honor bar - don't think about bringing back any leftovers let alone rehetaing them. I d o like the fact thtat hey don't have ice machines (especially since I was directly across the hall), but they use a top loading freezer with bags of ice that fit perfectly in the ice bucket. Now if they can just get the cleaning crew to replace the bag daily that would be a nice twist (yes, the sarcasm is intended). There is also no telephone book in the room, which the front desk was done by design - really?

Readers who may have followed my Portland travels will note that I do crave space and cleanliness - the bathroom was fine in terms of space but they could do more to remove the mold and soap scum in the shower, something shown in another traveler's photos.The closet was also adequate as was the drawer space. There was enough room for suitcases and clothes to be put away so as not to be seen which I appreciate.

The room was quiet in terms of little outside noise. Ocaisionally you wold hear soemone eating outside at the restaurant or a runner / cycler going by. But being on the river side all I really had was river noises which can be pleasant. What I also appreciated wa sthe fact that you could "tilt" the patio door to allow a little freash air and the river noise into the room but be advised - there are bugs a plenty!

What I don't appreciate, is hearing the gentleman next door to me snore, have a conversationon the telephone, cough, or have a visitor. I get used to noises emanating from a bathroom, but really? I wake to hear the alarm next door going off as if it was in my room?! Noise from above and below was not a problem - next door was another thing altogether.

A lot has been said about the wonderful breakfast. OK, here it is: in the elevator lobby each morning they put out in order of appearance from left to right:
orange juice
yogurt
milk boxes (think back to elementary school)
wheat flakes
cheerios
apples, and if you are lucky a banana
"home made" granola
nut bread
muffins
coffee.
If you wanted somethign else such as a potein other than from yogurt or what may be in an fortified cereal, you were out of luck.

In fact, there is no restaurant on site, nor a convenient store/room/rack. The rtestaurant is Auqavida next door. Room service comes form there unless it's late night which comes form I don't know where and I did not take advantage of. And the menu fro room service or otherwise is limited. No salads are on the menu, although they will make one for you by special request.

It's location is NOT near downtown. You can take a cab, which I found will arrive usually within 20 minutes regardless of what you are told. Valet is fine, but be advised thatthe cars are parked outside in a surface lot. I know that this is portland, but I still found that paying $15 to park my car in a surface lot across the street was just a bit much.

All this is not to say that it has no value. It DOES have value. If you can score a deal and stay for $100 or so a night (plus taxes, valet, etc.), and you are willing to put up with the rest, then yes, there is value for you. As I travel way too much for my own good, I need a little more pampering than the River's Edge can provide.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MRMED8R
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Friendly staff. Very well kept and clean facility. Was not within walking distance from the Pearl district, but is centrally located for a good site seeing hub. Valet parking attendants were extremely helpful with directions. Spa staff was superb. Neat little breakfast nook about one-half mile down the road on right, but i cannot remember its name.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear BenB357,

Thank you for your 5 star review and for taking the time to share your positive experience at River's Edge Hotel and Spa. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Homer, Alaska
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My stay at River's Edge was so incredible that it is difficult to put it into words. The staff was so accomodating and friendly. The guest room was comfortable and luxurious. The continental breakfast was amazing. The spa services made me feel like a queen. Every minute that I spent at this hotel was fabulous. From my first contact with the reservation staff to the final goodbye from the valet staff, I was very pleased. I will certainly go back every single time that I am in Portland.

Room Tip: Choose a river side room. The balcony is relaxing and wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jj8117
Dear JJ8117,

Thank you so much for such wonderful account of your stay at River's Edge Hotel and Spa. Specially for rating us and for choosing us as your new favorite hotel in Portland, this is wonderful news for us and we truly appreciate it.

We have shared your lovely comments to all our staff members. We look forward to welcoming you back