“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was travelling for a wedding so stayed here for convenience. To my surprise this was a very nice hotel. I think that the service was great. Rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. Continental breakfast is included and is on each floor so very convenient! Valet service was very easy and efficient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank scotto260
, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Avalon Hotel and Spa! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us.

Your compiments of our Service, Room, Continental Breakfast, and Valet service are certainly appreciated. If your travels bring you to Portland again, we would love the opportunity to host you on your next visit.

Regards,

Ana Maret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I think this hotel deserves a 3.5 stars review.

I only stayed here for one night. I had made the reservation but my spouse checked us in. While I understand that the front desk clerk was either in-training or new, I didn't feel it was appropriate that he asked why the two of us didn't have the same name! I guess women are expected to take the surnames of their husbands, in his opinion.

I was originally given a "mountain" view room on the 5th floor - which is actually a view of the building in front of the hotel. Another reviewer commented on the lack of light in the room and I totally agree; there is insufficient lighting in the room and the overhang over the balcony blocked out some of the natural light. Also, we had problems picking up a strong wireless signal. I complained about these two issues to the front desk and was told that I could pay $20 per night to have a river view. To their credit, staff visited the room a few hours later and said a desk lamp was missing so they moved us to a river view room free of charge.

I think the $19 parking fee is ridiculous. We parked a few blocks away on a side street (Seymour) and didn't pay.

The furniture/carpet was a tad scratched up/stained.

I did find the bed to be comfortable and the bathroom was very large.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: FYI: the continental breakfast is not served in a separate room but in the area by the elevators on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear TorontoLeesar,

I am sorry and disappointed to learn you did not have a pleasant stay and would very much like to have the opportunity to talk to you. If you would be willing to speak with me, please contact me at 503.802.5807 or e-mail me at amaret@avalonhotelandspa.com with your contact information.

Looking forward to hearing from you and to making this right.

503.802.5807
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel, the rooms are very luxurious and relaxing! I also really enjoyed all of the staff, very nice, and they went out of their way to make sure my stay was enjoyable. I also really really felt the valets provided very thorough service, and I wish I would have gotten their names, they provided me with directions and were very helpful. When I go back to Portland in August, I am definitely staying here again!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Karen E,

Mission accomplished! We are very glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience the service our Team provides; I have shared your comments with the Staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit to Portland, I will be very glad to assist you with your reservations arrangements.

amaret@avalonhotelandspa.com
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here as part of a graduation celebration. One of our party chose one of the standard king rooms with a river view and the other chose a standard king room with a mountain view. The river view was worth the extra. It had its own balcony and view of cottonwoods with the river. The bed was positioned so that you woke up to the view of the trees. The complimentary breakfast was nice. It consisted of choice of house made granola, yogurt, pastries, cereal and fruit.

There was also a spa on site. Guests could use the spa work out facility and locker room for free. There is also a nice river path that runs close to the hotel.

The only criticism we would make is the hotel is a little further from public transportation than we expected. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to the tram.

Room Tip: The river side versus the hill side is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear CLH1313,

We love Graduation Celebrations!! We appreciate your time to complete a review of The Avalon Hotel and Spa and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, spa, and continental breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

scottsdale
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Avalon Hotel and Spa and it was just as wonderful as the last. We enjoyed the perfectly clean room, generous hospitality, spa amenities, workout area and especially the fantastic continental breakfast with scones, fancy bread, delicious homemade granola and yogurt. Beds and feather pillows were comfy. The river view rooms have a nice patio to read and just watch the world go buy. We would definitely go back again on our next trip to see our children and grandchildren.

Lyn and Tom Ambrose

Room Tip: We like the top (5th) floor..nice and quiet!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lynambrose
Dear Lynambrose,

We very much appreciate your feedback as well as your loyalty to our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed everything about your room, continental breakfast, and the serene views of The Willamette River. We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to your return.

Best wishes,

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The staff here is AMAZING. Everyone is incredibly accommodating and friendly, it's nice to see people enjoy what they do in the hospitality industry (instead of grumbling people who act like any small favor is like offering up their first born).

The location is serenity at its best. Waking up every morning to the river and the sun rise through the trees was a real treat!

Room Tip: Make sure you reserve a River View room! It is a little more that the standard hillside room, but wo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NMDY85,

Thank you for your positive review of The Avalon Hotel and Spa! We are happy to hear that our friendly-staff and great location made for a great stay! The staff appreciates your compliments of their friendliness and on their behalf; I thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I've been at this hotel for three weeks in a row for business. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of decent lighting in the room and bathroom, it could be great for a spa weekend, but my trips are business related and the desk has poor lighting, as does the bathroom for makeup. Other than that, the bed is REALLY good, the fitness facility is amazing and the staff (especially the valet staff) are really pleasant. Continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise, although not great for those carb conscious folks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business