“Classy hotel with a resonable price”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Nicely located hotel, with excellent price. We found the Avalon hotel to be a classy boutique hotel in a nice quiet area on the river. We would definitely stay again when we visit Portland.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for River's Edge Hotel & Spa

Reviewed August 4, 2011

2miles from city center with a bike lane directly to the hotel. Allowed us to store our bikes in the room. Had a fabulous spa and gym if you're not too tired at the end of the day!

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the Avalon. I will definitely be back and will recommend the property to others. I own an event planning company and I have a high level of expectation for customer service. Everyone that I dealt with at the property was helpful and friendly. Alixandra, Michael and Kristin all went out of their way to assist with whatever I needed...from restaurant suggestions to where I could buy knee highs close by! Thank you to all for making my short vacation a pleasure!!

The hotel restaurant is excellent and the service was wonderful. They went out of the way to accommodate my seating request and made sure I was served efficiently to meet my need to be out at a certain time.

I was able to use the spa during my stay. Again everyone was just great to deal with and my massage therapist was great! I wish I could remember her name. The spa is very nice and has sauna, whirlpool and a steam room. I've been to many spas and this one is a great value for the services offered.

Room Tip: Request a room on the Riverside. The mountain views are fine but the river view is best!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2011

A Euro-techno boutique hotel at a picturesque spot on the Willamette River. We felt the staff were pretentious and the modern furnishings hid some important shortcomings. The mattress on the king bed was broken down and anyone sleeping other than in the center was at risk of rolling onto the floor. The location is quite but not convenient to downtown Portland. Avoid the associated restaurant as the food is only average and the service on the evening we were there was unbelievably slow. When we mentioned the issue to the waiter we got back talk rather than an apology and/or a faster pace.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

There are some excellent packages available including drinks or dinner at the hotel restaurant. Get a riverside room if you can - much nicer view!

I'm guessing the prices were a little more reasonable because of the (theoretical) distance from the downtown area, however it's no more than 3 blocks walk to the streetcar that takes you right into the city.

The restaurant was pretty great - a limited menu but what we had we great.

Room Tip: Get a riverside room if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The downtown hotels were sold out... we ended up on the outskirts, at a place we were unfamiliar with...turned out to be a Lucky Break! Actually it's a very nice boutique type hotel, about 100 rooms...and it's situated in a residential/industrial area overlooking the river. Because of the location, it was perfect at night to walk down to the tree lined banks of the river where there were bicyclists going by. There is a decent restaurant & bar that stayed busy into the evening...as well as a continental breakfast offered on each floor in the morning. At first they told us there were no two bed rooms available, but after I protested, the clerks were able to magically do some shuffling and find us a room to meet our needs. We were happy...and we got a suite with a sliver of a water view.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Avalon for five nights in mid July. We were there to run a 1/2 marathon in nearby Dundee, OR. The staff was wonderful at the hotel and always willing to give us directions, answer our questions about the area, and gave us maps, etc. The spa was great and the exercise facility was amazing. It was probably one of the nicest fitness centers I have ever seen in a hotel/resort. We were upgraded to a room overlooking the river and the walking/biking path that ran along the river. It was a beautiful view. My only negatives about the Avalon would be the $19.00 per night valet fee to park our car. Also, we ate one night in their restaurant which was very nice and we were seated outside on the patio overlooking the river. The food was excellent - however, we thought it was very expensive. Other than that, I would definitely recommend the Avalon....the rooms were very comfortable and the staff was great! Would love to go back someday.