“Boutique Hotel, Health Spa Feel”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I was in Portland on business and I was bummed because the client suggested this hotel vs. my normal brand of hotel; I usually stay and one of the Hilton brands. However, once I arrived I was sold!! This is a great little hotel with a great spa in the same building. Excellent complimentary breakfast. Good restaurant on property that offers room service. Hotel is located on the river so you can open your balcony door to the sounds of water and birds, not a freeway. The gym is well equipped and the spa rocks! I ditched a dinner with a colleague to have a massage and a facial and it was soooo worth it!! Excellent! The only downside for me was it was valet parking only, no self parking, and the fee for that seemed a little steep. But I will be back next time I’m in Portland, for either business or pleasure!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank preppersgirl

Reviewed April 23, 2011

My mother, Father and I had purchased this hotel through Travelocity's Secret Hotels. It was 80.00 dollars per night. We thought we had been given the best deal possible as we were paying a 3 star price for a 4 star hotel. We were wrong. On arrival the hotel is definitely far from the hustle and bustle of the city. Located right along the river, it was nicely decorated with many mature trees. When you first walk in, it has a very modern vibe, smells fresh, and clean. When we arrived the front desk told us that they had no available rooms for 3 but would supplement a room with a king bed and a cot. The conciege also told us that we had to pay the "extra person fee" and as we were staying there 2 nights had to pay 25.00 dollars per night, HOWEVER on our receipts from travelocity it showed that we had paid it already as part of paying for the room. She told us she would take care of it. We then head to our room which was small, and plain. We did not have a room facing the river which was disappointing but I did enjoy the fact that even though the room faced an office building and part or the roof below, they had made an effort to make it asthetically pleasing as possible. After taking in the nice view we were disdained to look back and see the room FULL of stains. The carpets were stained, the top cover on the bed was stained, the bench was stained, the chairs in the room were stained. Other than that it was clean. The cot had NO support whatsoever and I awoke both mornings to pain in my back and neck. Service was friendly. Loved the guys they had working the doors and valet, very informative of the area and were very funny. Restaurant was overpriced but the food was good, though there is NOTHING else in the immediate area. Enjoyed the fitness facilities, very clean and well-kept even though there was no pool they had a sauna and hot tub guests could use. The spa made the whole hotel smell beautiful. In the mornings they had what they called a continental breakfast from 6-9. It consisted of the basics and no I dont mean eggs etc. There were scones, cookies, yogurt, cereal, apples. Things that to me, should be served at a lower end hotel seeing as how you pay to stay at a 4 star. Even Holiday Inns have better breakfasts. The end of the stay was the kicker though, as we had already paid and were coming back to Canada, we looked at the receipt only to realize the girl at the front desk had made us pay for that extra person fee!! How many times do you have to be told we payed that fee?! We have already contacted managment as to the discrepancy and no one has contacted us as of yet. Poor handling skills... Though I am glad this did not put a damper on my trip to Oregon I am disappointed that the secret room deal from Travelocity means that guests get the most basic downgraded room available, so as the saying goes,.. "You get what you pay for."

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MissyCee
Reviewed April 22, 2011

This is an exceptional hotel with a very well trained staff. The restaurant is wonderful. I wasn't able to sample the spa services, but I will next time. My room had a fabulous view of the river.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Other than the rather expensive Valet parking (which is necessary if you arrive in your car) the hotel quite acceptable. Courteous staff, very clean facilities and an excellent assortment of workout equipment. Continental breakfast was rather lacking in healthy choices - apples and bananas were too green, for example. However, we came for the room and a visit to Portland not to eat biscuits. A short walk to the street car stop and then you're on the MET in downtown Portland.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cruisinthru
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We found this gem on hotels.com looking for a reasonable place to stay in Portland. It isb a lovely place where the staff are all wonderfully nice and helpful, the restaurant is top notch with resonable prices and the continental breakfast on each floor is delicious. Its right on the river, too. You can't go wrong with a visit here. Did not take advantage of the spa.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Staff very nice, room very clean. Restaurant, although a bit expensive, was very good.

Room Tip: As for a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I wanted to experience a spa like atmosphere that wasn't too far from home. We arrived on Saturday to spend one night. We reserved a package deal which entitled us to a free room upgrade "view of the river" which was superb and I loved the king bed and the bathroom with a TV speaker and lovely tile. We loved the service in the restaurant very knowledgeable staff they know the wine and the food. The spa staff was also very warm and caring, we enjoyed a couples massage that was very relaxing. Our sleep was interupted by some late night partiers but all in all we would definetely stay again for all the great amenities. I also liked all the different types of naturally flavored water. The free continental breakfast was also part of this great value and was perfect for us. Looking forward to another great stay in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple