“Beware of room location”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #48 of 142 Hotels in Portland
State College, PA
“Beware of room location”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a standard chain hotel on a row of them close to the airport. Convenient if that's your objective. We arrived after 9 p.m. local time from the East Coast, very tired. Otherwise I might have immediately recognized we were given a bad room location and requested another. I think it was #113, but it was just off the lobby and right next door to the fitness center. As we were preparing for a much-anticipated sleep about 10 p.m., there was considerable noise from exuberant children outside the room. I went out to investigate and found a family checking in while their two small children tested the echo properties of the lobby. If we hadn't been so close to the lobby, it might not have been a problem. When I explained that the children were disturbing us when we wanted to sleep, the father responded that I "didn't look like I was trying to sleep" (not in my pjs?) and I should "chill out; take some medication or something." (I didn't scream at them, honest, way too tired for that and not my style.) I was so tired and so flabbergasted that the response wouldn't be, "We're so sorry; we didn't realize the children's sound was disturbing anyone." I know rude guests aren't the hotel's fault, but it sure gave us a bad taste for our first visit to the northwest. However, the room location was the staff's choice. The next night we were awakened at 4:50 a.m. by someone using an exercise machine located on the other side of the wall from our bed, even though the fitness center supposedly doesn't open until 6 a.m. The front desk did apologize for that and gave us breakfast vouchers for their lobby dining area (though we noticed that everyone in the area seemed to have the same voucher, possibly because it opened late due to Columbus Day holiday.) I wondered if we were given that room because we paid partly with points rather than cash. It could have been even worse if the pool (the other side of the fitness center) were operating, but it was not. There are also no decent restaurants nearby- the best we could find was a Red Robin. It was convenient enough for driving downtown and for visiting the Columbia River Gorge. I would probably stay here again if I needed a place close to the airport, but I would definitely beware of the room I was given.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you next to the lobby and fitness center!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for submitting your reveiw. I apologize that your stay was not up to the standards that should be expected at our hotel. It must have been frustrating to receive such a response from other guests in the htoel. I am glad that our front desk staff did compensate you for the fitness room noise by giving you breakfast vouchers. Breakfast is $8.95 per person, but we do have quite a few guests that book the breakfast package that is offered and the Hilton Gold and Diamond members are offered free breakfast as part of the belonging to the Hilton Honors program.
I hope that you will come stay with us again so that we may give you the guest service that you deserve.

Liz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Buford, GA
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was nice. Had a good restaurant with good service. Rooms were nice but could have been better taken care of. Bed slept horrible. 3 lights were out. My remote did not work and my ac was broken. Overall o would stay again but will double check my room before I commit.

• Stayed October 2013
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for submitting your review. I am glad that you did like our hotel but was disappointed to see all the problems that you had with your room. That is unexcusable! I sincerely apologize for your frustrations and hope that it was reported to the front desk before you left so that we could get the issues fixed.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will return!

Amelia, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Hotel was nice. My door to room did stick, however, I never advised the staff. I did however have to change my stay due to work and be gone one day in middle of trip. On the last day because I made the change I was charged nearly double what I was charged for the other days of stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I apologize for the frustration that you feel with the rate change. I did look into the change and it was only a $10 difference. I am wondering if it is the authorization amount that you are looking at, which should be released any day by your bank. I am hoping that this is the case, for we never want our valued guests to feel like they are being over charged and be dissatisfied!
I do appreciate you staying with us and hope that this all works out and we will see you next time that you are in Portland!

Portland, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay, the bed was very comfortable. The room was very clean and smelt clean. Bathroom was clean, only problem I had was water pressure wasn't the greatest but I dealt with it! The room stayed cool the whole night with the AC. I will definitely stay at this Hilton again! I was very satisfied with my time at the Hilton Garden Inn

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Brea, California
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport was the perfect choice. Close to the airport, quiet, and clean. I had a room adjoining with my sister and brother-in-law's room, and that was convenient. We all enjoyed the staff, who were courteous and friendly. We had an employee discount for our rooms from a relative who works for Hilton, which does not typically include the free breakfast, but we were comped it anyway. And the breakfast was wonderful--hot and tasty and lots of choices. It was a comfortable and relaxing overnight stay in Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for adjoining rooms for family (or friends!). Very convenient. I'm sure all hotels must ha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! Hope to see you next time that you are in Portland!

Bristol, Indiana
Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

HIlton Garden Inn is great in that they're consistent. Clean rooms, good service. The Portland Airport location is no exception.

Please be warned though. Due to the Columbia river there are no gas stations very close. If you have a rental, fill up the night before. Also there are not a ton of restaurants close by. Cascade station has a few, but mainly bar food type items (wings, burgers). Be prepared to drive to get a decent restaurant.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your reveiw. I did want to let you know that they have just opened a 7-11 right off Airport Way on the way to the Airport that has a gas station. We are all excited about this because as you said it was previously such an inconvenience for our guests.
Cascade station does have quite a bit of casual restaurants which is nice but for anything more upscale our Guest Service Agents are more than happy to give you some suggestions.
Thank you for staying with us!
Dallas, Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Best value, park & fly. Quiet location, great service, clean, comfortable. What else do you need before starting your vacation. Shuttle both ways was great. Our flight was delayed and the shuttle arrived promptly on our late return to PDX. We will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice reveiw!
See you next time you are flying out of PDX!