“Great staff,physical surroundings and equipment a little off”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #49 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The staff of the hotel was great....I did feel that the facilities did not meet expectations. All the business equipment was not working. We had a problem with our toilet. They were painting in the main lobby the and the swimming pool during business hours. Room service was good, but I was disappointed that the restaurant was nt open for lunch and had limited menu for breakfast and dinner. I had to return to the desk three times to change my keys, I could not get in the outside door or my room door several times. This was very inconvenient it was cold and rainy and I had a long walk to the desk outside in the weather. Not what I usually experience at a Hilton Hotel. I did appreciate the free parking and the free wireless that worked very well. The room was also comfortable and nice.

Room Tip: Choose one at the rear and east side of hotel..it was very quiet there.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your reveiw. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. We have been going through a renovation and it involves all of the public spaces. Our business center was down for two days but is now refreshed with all new equipment and we did paint our pool area recently. It is all to bring a better product for our guests like you and every day our hotel has been making improvments!
As far as the restaurant, our menus are based on the brand standard for Hilton Garden Inn. You are right, it is not an extensive menu but we feel it offers what our guests are looking for.
I sincerely apologize for the frustration that you experienced with your keys. I am not sure why this occured but I will make sure I take a look at our key machine and have maintenance clean it.
We do have a great staff and hope that you will consider staying with us again and enjoy the new remodel.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel since my usual place was fully booked I decided to stay here (I typically stay at another Hilton property).

Friendly staff, clean rooms, typical HGI experience.

The gym equipment had some issues and no towels at 6:30 am but nothing that a quick inquiry couldn't fix.

One thing that impressed me was, upon checking out at 4 am for a 5:45 flight, the front desk employee asked if I would like someone to walk me to my car. I declined as I was parked just outside but I appreciated the sentiment as I am a female traveler almost often traveling solo.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for the nice review of our hotel and for taking the time to submit this on Tripadvisor! We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I like to stay at Hilton Garden Inns as we have the same beds. I figure this way we would get a good night sleep and not have to get up so early to get to PDX as we live 1.5 hrs away. The beds were fine, but the road traffice kept us awake most of the night. Maybe it is due to the fact we live in the country and is very quite there. The hotel was fine and the room okay. Price was okay as it was under $100 for the night. If we stay here again, I will request a room on the back side away from the road. The front desk staff were very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 509Cecelia
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review here on our hotel. I am sorry that you did not get a restful nights sleep while here. We do not get many compalints due to traffic noise, as we are an airport hotel so probably not any noisey than others. You are right to next time request your room on the backside of the hotel which is away from the street and may be more peaceful for you.
We hope that you will return to our hotel next time you are flying out!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Guest were running through the halls and were very loud in their rooms opening and closing their doors from about 8pm until after midnight. They had no respect for other guests. I called the front desk several times but he said he had to wait until another staff member showed up. After I was woken up at 2am, I went outside myself. The particular guest who was noisy apologized and I didn't hear anything else. And we had to get up at 6am for a gymnastics meet. I will never stay at this particular site again just because of that. The breakfast was amazing and the rooms were cool. But because we could not get good sleep, I rank this stay as terrible. It's unfortunate.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

I know that we have already had correspondence via email about this particular stay, but I wanted to again apologize for the loud guests and please know that this is not a normal issue that we experience at our hotel. I do hope that you will reconsider staying at our hotel in the future!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stay at Hilton s all over the west side of the country due to business travel weekly. I would not stay back at this Hilton due to the poor service from the staff. The lobby was under construction and they were stating how they were ready for it to be over. The rooms were stated to be updated, but not close to the new Hilton brand at all. I was on the top floor with a unbalanced air unit that was shaking the wall and bed and very very loud. They were not apologetic at all and not accommodating for new room placement.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Please accept our apologies for the frustration you experienced during your last stay with us. I will make sure that the front desk alerted our maintenance staff in regards to your HVAC unit. We are done with the construction phase of our remodel and yes, we were looking forward to it being over so that there is not a disruption to our guests and the services we offer. Everything looks great right!
We want our guests to leave with the intent of returning and I am sorry that we will not have another opportunity to give you the guest service that you deserve!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was an excellent choice. The hotel was clean, the price was great and I became a member of Hilton Honors. The staff was awesome! I will seek these hotels out in the near future to stay at.
The location was only three miles from the airport, very handy. It was still very quiet, even when the airplanes flew over. You had to be outside to hear them. The free bottles of water were greatly appreciated and we took them with us while we seen the sites.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for submitting the great review on our hotel! We hope that you will return again to see the "finished product" of our remodel and give us another opportunity to have you as our guests.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We mainly stay at this hotel because we are Hilton Honors members and can get a good deal. The staff is always very friendly; and we love the free airport hotel shuttle. Unfortunately they are doing a remodel on the lobby so we did not take advantage of any of the services offered there. Plus on the weekends they do not provide dining or bar service. The "new" mattress model they use allows each person to adjust the firmness of the mattress; I set mine to 4/5 out of 10 and woke up feeling very deflated. My husband adjusted his to 0 and had a very firm mattress. I'd rather they go back to just a regular mattress.

Room Tip: Most rooms are good; since it's near the airport you will hear noise no matter what side you are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. We truely appreciate your kind comments. We hope that you will come back to stay with us when we are all done with the remodel. It is really progressing and we can't wait for the finished product. Our goal is to create an environment where everyone is comfortable and can enjoy our lobby and feel at home. I know you will love it!