“A good place to stay for Families”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #22 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“A good place to stay for Families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

Suites offer a comfortable place to stay for families. Hotel is near the free trolley and easy to access. Hotel is also near some restaurants. The complimentary breakfast has a lot of variety. Most of our family found the hotel to be quiet, but one guest did notice the freeway noise. The hotel is not necessarily in a hip part of town, but we stayed there because we needed space for two families. The hotel is not near the airport, our cab ride was about $40, something we were not aware of since we had been told (by hotel staff) that the ride would be about $20. Everyone in our family liked the hotel and would stay there again in Portland, or other locations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, November 20, 2014
Dear EleanoreE,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at Residence Inn Portland Downtown RiverPlace in 2010. We look forwarding to serving you and your family again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Arlington, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Location for hotel was great. With a streetcar stop right across the street and free transit service (located in free fare zone), the transporation options took care of themselves. BTW, I wouldn't suggest anyone rent a car in Portland as the parking in the central city and surrounding neighborhoods are hard to find. Use transit - as all the locals do.

Hotel was spacious and clean as I have come to expect from Residence Inn's, my preferred hotels when traveling with wife and two kids under 10. Plenty of space in the room, two TVs and a seperated bedroom.

Free breakfast is a plus. Swimming ppol is enclosed and was clean. Another plus was the swimming pool was visiable from the fitness center so you can workout while keeping an eye on the kids in the pool. A negative was the pool closed at 11pm which is too early for vacationers in my opinion.

My complaint with the hotel: the view I was given was poor. Whenever I reserve and check into a hotel my first request is to be provided a great view. The view from my room in this hotel had to be the worst in the building - a view of the roof and a highway. Oh, I could see the river if I pressed against the wall and looked at an angle.

At checkin I was told the view was "decent." After I stepped into the room and looked out the window I immediately called back down and asked for a better view and was told no rooms with better view were available. Whoa... hard to believe in the 250+ room hotel that I checked into at 4:30pm on a Thursday that there were no better roomviews available. More frustrating was that I booked this hotel requesting a "view" six months earlier.

I was told I could call back the next day and they would see if a better room was available What?!? So, I'm to stay packed up for a night on the hope that I can load up my family's belongings then move the next afternoon. Not my idea of a fun family vacation. I passed. This experience made what should have been a nice hotel stay a mentally frustrating one for me.

In sum, if you care less about your view should you stay here? Go for it. It's a nice hotel. But I'll probably be checking into a hotel with a better confirmation system.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Dubnation
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, October 5, 2014
Dear dubnation,
Thank you for sharing comments surrounding your stay at Residence Inn RiverPlace in 2010. We're glad to know that you found the hotel clean and the service wonderful. Please come give us another try and we'll do our best to ensure you have a room with a better view. We aim to please!
Daphne, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

OK, I am a fan of Residence Inn, in general, and of this one in particular. Clean, quiet, comfortable, spacious suites. Top notch staff, except for one un-smiling housekeeper. Good breakfast. Great pool for kids. Unknown @ arrival but a BIG PLUS, this hotel is immediate to a trolley stop; perect for traveling the city without having to drive in unfamiliar territory. A big A+ overall!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, November 11, 2014
Dear alwaysamber,
Thank you for rating your stay at Residence Inn Portland Downtown RiverPlace 5 stars! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and appreciate your time submitting a review.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stay at this Residence Inn RiverPlace about 20-25 days a year for the past couple of years. It is a great location right down on the river. The service is always top of the line and the property is allows well kept. The pool is treated with salt rather than chlorine which makes it quite pleasant since it doesn't smell or burn your eyes. The breakfast each morning is quite enjoyable and very good. The fact that the place has two bedroom suites makes it stand out for us since we usually have grandkids staying with us when we are there. It's awful hard to find two bedroom suites at most hotels.

I guess my main complaint is the extremely uncomfortable strange shaped couches and the fact that the suites don't have flat screen HD TV's. The couches have a sloping back that is not very comfortable to sit on. All the rooms have the extremely large old style tube TVs that take of lots of room and after getting use to flat screens are not pleasant to watch. The AC can be loud at times and the $21 parking fee is quite extreme I think. Couple these things with the standard price and it makes this location right on the edge of being overpriced but as I said earlier we can't find other hotels with two bedroom suites.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback! We're glad to know that you enjoyed our waterfront location in downtown Portland. We appreciate the fact that you chose Residence Inn RiverPlace for your visit.
The NW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

The location right across the river from OMSI made this very convenient for us. The hotel is clean, everything seems to run smooth, breakfast was decent and had a lot of choices. The only noise we heard was from unattended children running up and down the halls, but hotel staff said if that's an issue, they will take care of it. One of the elevators was down for a time while we were there which caused huge lines and a long wait. Keep in mind, you have to pay for parking in the garage and it can add up after a few days.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NWTravelingFam
Dear NWTravelingFam,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at Residence Inn Portland Downtown RiverPlace in 2010. My apologies that you experienced long waits with the elevator out of service for a short period of time. We look forwarding to serving you and your family again soon!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

What a wonderful surprice. I'm in the hotel industry, and consider myself hard to please. but this place was just right. Friendly staff, great product, location at its best...and pet friendly. Way to go guys keep up the great work.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, October 18, 2014
Dear happyguy1971,
We appreciate your time and feedback! Thank you for staying at Residence Inn - Portland Downtown RiverPlace. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We are frequent visitors to Portland and love to stay at the Residence Inn because of the friendly staff, river front location and downtown convenience. The area is great for walking and has a streetcar stop nearby for longer trips uptown. We have stayed many times at this location and have never been disappointed by the clean rooms and well stocked and staffed breakfast buffet which features standard hot and cold offerings as well as a Japanese breakfast with rice and miso. On this trip we brought our 60 pound dog with us. We were thrilled with the low dog rate - $10 per night and the friendly greetings at check-in. Since the location is surrounded by parkways it is a great place to walk a dog take in the river views.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple