“Excellent value and great services”

Staybridge Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent value and great services”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The rooms are spacious--we even have a separate room as bedroom. The small kitchen is well equipped with plates, spoons, knives, paper towel, microwave, stove, and a good-size refregierator. The rooms are clean; the customer service is excellent. The general manager seems to be keen to make customers feel welcomed. Definitely we will stay here again. It is only a few minutes drive from Costco, so it is convenient to stock up groceries if staying for an extended time.

3 Thank Lin J
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm so happy to hear you had a great stay.

We really do have a great General Manager who does enjoy meeting our lovely guests and making them feel welcome.

We appreciate you! Thank you, again, for the review.

Megan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was unfamiliar with this chain of hotels, but am now a fan! The breakfast was well balanced and the dinners were great and included free beer, wine and sodas. It was nice to go back to the hotel, have a snack, a local apple, cook if I wanted to and do laundry for free while I worked out. The rooms had a full kitchen and living room area, and a separate bedroom and bathroom, all very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rockiesmom
Welcome to the Staybridge Suites! I'm so glad that you had such a nice stay with us. I'm also glad that you got to partake in our amenities while you were here.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you! We hope we get the pleasure of having you with us again soon.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you are only interested in having a nice room to stay in, this hotel is more than adequate. However, if you are looking for pleasant staff, and a great breakfast buffet, I would suggest going elsewhere. The breakfast buffet was disappointing: healthy choices were limited. While they had a wide assortment of muffins, rolls, bagels, and other high carb foods available, they ran out of skim milk and had only high sugared yogurts. Fresh food was limited: One day they served what looked like canned peaches and half of grapefruit. If you are like many older adults not able to eat grapefruit due to interactions with medications, you were out of luck.

The staff could use training on professionalism. I needed to take the shuttle to the airport. The driver clearly expected me to put my luggage in the back of the van myself. Once we arrived at the airport, I was surprised that the driver jumped out to get my luggage. She then left in on the curb, and returned to the van, saying nothing. Too bad, I usually leave a good tip, but obviously the driver was in a hurry to get somewhere!

The front desk staff did not seem genuinely interested in their guests either; but rather more concerned with interacting with other staff.

1 Thank fancherfetch
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you and take all of our reviews very seriously.

As an IHG hotel, we are required to serve many breakfast choices that we have available. We try to provide food for everyone. Pastries and muffins for those with the sweet tooth, bacon/sausage/ham and eggs for those who enjoy a hearty breakfast, and sliced fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and plain oatmeal with all the fixings (on the side) for those who are trying to make healthy breakfast choices. I appreciate your input and will discuss with my team what other healthy meal options we can add to our breakfast.

Regarding your shuttle experience, thank you for informing us. Professionalism is something we are very diligent about. The fact that you left our hotel with this impression is something we are addressing immediately.

Thank you, again, for writing a review.

Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at the Staybridge Suites at Portland Airport for little more than a week in mid-August, 2013. The front desk was more than accommodating when we booked a room. We got to Portland after flying all night and needed a place to stay as soon as possible. They tried to find a room and then made it happen. Once there, we found the suites (bedroom and living room) very clean and very spacious, with wi-fi, big screen TVs, and other amenities. We slept well in a quiet environment. Bathrooms were clean and neat with big, comfy towels. Housekeeping was gracious and very efficient. Better breakfasts than most establishments along with several helpful dinners. Front desk personnel were pleasant, happy, efficient and willing to help. Good location to go anywhere in the area. Good restaurants including Salty's and Amalfi's Italian Restaurant along with Sheri's near bye. Good food and prices. It is hard to imagine a better place for a couple or family to stay (or a businessman).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobbyD3300
Thank you so much, Bobby D, for your review! I'm so happy that you had a comfortable stay and got to feel like one of our family. You are very valuable to us and we appreciate you.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you with us again soon.

Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is our first time at this particular property, but we've stayed at Staybridge Suites before. We were very happy with our stay. We got a two bedroom/two bath suite, since sharing a bathroom with two teenagers means we would never get out of the room in the morning.

The hotel was very clean. Breakfast was pretty good, the usual stuff you would expect for a free hotel breakfast. They had free dinner on Tuesday from 5:30 - 7:30, but we weren't back in time for that. Nice touch, though.

The laundry room is free to use, and you can buy two pods of Purex laundry soap for $1 in the pantry. The first time I did laundry one of the washing machines was broken. A couple days later, a different washing machine was broken. But each time a maintenance man was working on it, and I can't fault the hotel. I bet those machines get a lot of abuse since it's free to use them.

The parking is free. Movie rentals are $1. There is a McDonald's across the street if you're addicted to iced tea like I am.

You can hear planes taking off since it's right by the airport, but it didn't wake me up. If you are a light sleeper, it might wake you up. They even have a monitor in the lobby with flight arrival and departure times, just like at the airport.

There are two computers you can use for free. I was able to print our boarding passes easily. I didn't use the gym, even though I told my trainer I would, but you have to go through the gym to get to the laundry room, so I got to see the machines. They are nice and look fairly new. The gym was clean.

One downside to our room was the lack of places to charge your phone/ipad/camera etc. One bedroom had a queen bed with a desk. It had a lamp, but the lamp didn't have a plug on the base like many hotel lamps do. My kids used that room and charged their phones with outlets on the wall, so their phones were on the floor. The other bedroom had a king size bed. The lamps on the night stands didn't have plugs, either. I had to move the nightstand away from the wall to find an outlet to plug in my phone. I like charging it by my bed so I can use the alarm on it. If you don't want the phone in the bedroom with you, you can charge it by the breakfast table or on the kitchen counter. I just think the lamps should have plugs.

We would definitely stay again.

1 Thank scrapulous
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are happy to have had you and your family with us!

Thank you for the comment regarding more plug ins for technology items! It has been noted and brought to the attention of IHG.

We hope to see you again soon!

Federal Way, WA
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I really wanted to like this place - all the reviews were glowing, and as a rule I like mid-range suite properties. But while the public areas are nice, we were disappointed with the room itself.

To begin with, when I selected the room on booking.com, the description said, "Bed Size(s): 1 King, 1 Sofa bed(s)." I know the drawbacks of booking through a third-party site, but I usually get the room that's listed. When we checked in, we were given a room labeled "queen mobility access suite." I questioned the bed size, but on the computer it said we were not guaranteed a bed size. We were mildly disappointed as we headed up to our room. . .

. . .only to discover the "queen" sized bed was actually only a full-sized (I measured it and compared it to our bed when I got home). The couch was very uncomfortable to sit on (moreso than your typical uncomfortable sofa bed couch), and the small bed turned out to be very hard. Consequently, we both checked out with sore backs (not unusual for my husband, but very unusual for me).

In its favor, the kitchen was well-stocked with sets of dishes and silverware for four. There were also a few pots and pans and serving bowls - but no cooking utensils. LOTS of towels and bathroom amenities, but our unit had no bathroom counter (this may have been due to it being a "mobility access" room).

All in all, I was disappointed enough that I'll be heading back to the Embassy Suites next time (which was full on this trip).

Room Tip: If bed size matters, you might ask to see the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrsacuna
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear mrsacuna,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the inconvenience the room assigned to you may have caused. Please understand that bed types are not guaranteed at check-in as it will depend on what is available and occupancy level of the hotel. It does not happen all the time, I guess the hotel was busy at the time you've check-in that's why the bed type you reserved is no longer available. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

the hotel rooms were much larger than normal the continental breakfast was better than average. We only stayed there for the first night of our oregon Washington vacation but I would be willing to stay again if I go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

I am so happy to hear you had a nice stay. I hope that we get the pleasure of having you with us again in the near future.