“Not What I Expected, but Not Bad”

Staybridge Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #40 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Washington, DC
“Not What I Expected, but Not Bad”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hotel is definitely well maintained and in tip top shape, but didn't like the layout of the rooms. The 'suites' (as they call them) are essentially one big room that's been carved up into a kitchenette and tiny living room. It would look much better if they tore down the wall between the living room and the bedroom and left it open. I guess I'm just accustomed to the Marriott Residence Inn concept, which is very similar, but on a much larger scale and more comfortable in terms of space.

Nonetheless, it's definitely the great customer service that makes this property. The shuttle driver was great and Marie at the front desk was extremely warm and welcoming. You won't go wrong booking this property and I will definitely stay again, but you read reviews and visualize a concept that simply didn't meet my expectations, although its not a bad thing in this case. The place was immaculate and the beds were comfy, which is all you can ask for when you're on the road and don't have all the comforts of home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank romadaro
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We really appreciate it.

We do have a few different room types at the hotel. We have studio queen suites that are more open. Our one bedroom suites have a bedroom that has a separate bedroom and living room/kitchen.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the shape of the hotel, our great staff, and Marie! I have passed your comments to her manager. :-)

Thank you again for your review! We look forward to your return to Portland, OR.

Megan Black

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The customer service is top-notch, the hotel is immaculately clean, and the complimentary shuttle service cannot be beat! The rooms are spacious and well-designed for a "home-y" and comfortable stay...it feels as though you are renting a cute apartment! The furnishings are extremely modern and the beds are ultra comfy! The weekend rates are absolutely unbeatable and they welcome AAA customers with open arms! No, you won't be smack-dab in the middle of Portland. But if you want to see downtown, not to worry. This hotel will shuttle you to the Max train station and you can get into the heart of Portland that way. By staying in this part of town, you won't have to deal with city noise such as traffic and rowdy passerby. Being quite close to the PDX airport, I was concerned that air traffic noise would be an issue. During both of my stays, I did not hear a single plane taking off or landing.

I really cannot praise the complimentary shuttle service enough. This service saved me the hassle of renting a car or paying for taxis! You can be picked up and dropped off at any location within a 3-mile radius of the hotel. The Max train station (your ticket to exploring all the must-see places in Portland), the airport, and the Cascade Station shopping center are all within that 3-mile zone. So there really is no need to rent a car or take taxis! All the shuttle drivers are extremely courteous, and the shuttle van has plenty of room for all your bags and luggage.

The staff is absolutely *awesome*; they go the extra mile to ensure a comfortable stay for their guests. Everyone, from the front desk clerks to the shuttle drivers to the maids deserve a big pat-on-the back for their hospitality. I hope that they realize that their great attention to detail has not gone unnoticed by the people who stay here. I have stayed in hotels all over this continent, both chain and non-chain establishments, and the staff here has been the most phenomenal and gracious hotel staff that I have encountered.

Overall, this hotel is absolutely awesome! Definitely give it a try! You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank a794
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so very much for your review. I'm glad that you had such a wonderful stay. We take great pride in our hotel and ensure that the sleeping rooms are impeccably clean and our employees have a love for people.

Please come stay with us again. You always have a home here.

BC
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Portland, Oregon where we booked this hotel based on reviews I read here on Tripadvisor. SOOoooo glad we did! We booked a King suite and was pleasantly surprised - it was like a mini apartment! Fridge, stove, microwave, separate sleeping room, two large flat screen TV's - one in the sitting area and one in the bedroom. It was a great set up as it allowed us to have the other couple we were travelling with come into our room for drinks without us all sitting on the edge of a bed. It was clean, beautifully finished with granite counters and good quality linens. THe staff was excellent - there was even a warm cookie waiting for us on check in! The front desk arranged cab rides for us and were attentive to everything we needed. Everyone, the front desk staff, the cleaning people, the breakfast bar staff were so friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there, which is really nice to see. The lobby is FULL of awards this hotel has received for it's staff and cleanliness, and after staying there I can understand why. The breakfast bar was good - not a LOT of variety, but enough that everyone should find something they like. Free parking, and internet access. The only negative I could say is that when we were in the hallway you can clearly hear people talking in their rooms, which was alittle disconcerting. We didn't make use of the pool so I cannot comment on that this time, but will be staying here again when we go back next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lfjoliver
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so very much for your review!

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy our morning breakfast, evening Social, warm cookie, and hotel.

It's a pleasure having you at our home! I hope to meet you when you return.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great! We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite for 3 nights and we had a good time.

Pros:
* Very clean
* Complete amenities : kitchen with dishwasher, coffee maker, stove, pots and utensils, plates, electric mini oven, refrigerator, hair dryer, iron, dishwashing liquid, etc
* Free laundry in the laundry room (do-it-yourself, and just bring your own soap or you can buy from the pantry)
*Free breakfast, and if you check in the afternoon there is a free reception dinner
*Free parking
*Free wifi
*Comfortable bed and pillows

Con:
*Thin walls and thin floors - If you're staying below a room that has a couple of kids running around, you will probably have an issue with the noise. If you can, try to get an upper level room. And if you have kids, maybe consider staying on the first floor.

Location:
*Very close to the airport but about 8 miles to downtown
*There's a shopping area and restaurants close by. (Cascade Station)

Definitely recommended!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank pinkpixel
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm so glad you had a great time here.

I'm also glad that you were able to partake in our breakfast and dinner.

Please visit us again. We will be happy to have you.

Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had never stayed at a Staybridge Suites. However, I must say that based on my experience with this hotel, I will stay again. The room was very cozy and spacious. The kitchen had everything we needed for cooking small meals in, and the hotel staff is extremely nice and helpful. The beds were comfortable to sleep in and the shuttle service is a nice perk for traveling hear the hotel. For future travels with my children, I will certainly keep this hotel chain in mind!

Room Tip: For a family with two children, the one bedroom suite is a nice option. The bedroom is separate from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank veronica h
Welcome to the Staybridge Suites family! I'm so glad you got to stay at my hotel for your first Staybridge Suites experience. We have a lot of fun around here and I'm glad that we were a good fit for you and your family.

Please come stay wtih us anytime. Whether for work or leisure, we would love to have you.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Headed down to Portland for the weekend and got this hotel through a hotwire booking. It was great---a bit of a drive to things in the city, but it sure was nice for what we paid. It has a good sized kitchen, comfy bed, and was super clean. I'd highly recommend this property...it'd be hard to leave not feeling like you got you money worth. Also, free fresh baked cookies in the early evening!

Room Tip: Hotwire for the huge discount and win!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itravl
MegDPortland, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is very nice to hear from our guests and to know how their stay went.

I'm so glad to hear you had a nice stay and got your money's worth. We do our best to give great value and great guest experiences.

We hope you visit us again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is exactly what we look for: clean spacious rooms (this time we had a 2 bedroom suite), comfortable beds, well appointed kitchenettes that are far superior to any other hotel chains' (plenty of dishes and glasses as well as good pots and pans, always extra paper towels and dishwashing soap), fast wi fi, friendly staff, an adequate exercise room and free laundry facilities! The breakfast was good, with a nice selection of hot and cold items and the fresh baked cookies at check in were a nice touch. This is our second experience with the Staybridge Suites Hotel chain (the first was in Denver and an equally satisfying experience).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerTeri
Thank you very much for your review. I'm so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay.

Please come visit us again!