“Good location in NW Portland but a bit noisy”

Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed here three nights while on business near downtown Portland. This is a good hotel choice if you want to be in NW Portland but it can be somewhat noisy since it's on NW Vaughn Street on the edge of the NW industrial area and it's close to the off ramp of the I-405 freeway. It's within walking distance of NW 23rd Street where there are a lot of shops and restaurants. The hotel has a large pool and jacuzzi on the lower level along with a small fitness center. There is a free continental breakfast with a decent selection of breakfast items. There is only one elevator in the lobby that is really slow. The stairwells at the end of each floor are narrow. Parking is free. Ask for a room on the side of the hotel that doesn't face the freeway.

1  Thank T J
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Hi T J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great location, amazing staff, clean and comfortable rooms and welcoming breakfast.

Hats off to the person who does the hiring at your hotel, you have some of the nicest staff I have ever experienced especially the staff on duty late afternoon/evening on the 21st June.

Love your recycling program especially in the restaurant however I would suggest that your sign at the top matches the signs at the bottom in the restaurant,. There was lots of confusion as to where some things went and many things made it to the garbage that should have been recycled.

Will be back to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Carrie A
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Hi Carrie A

Thank you so much for your review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, including our staff and recycling program! We do hope that you will choose our hotel during your next visit to Portland, OR!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I respect the Holiday Inn Express brand, and this hotel exceeded my expectations. I arrived much earlier then the normal check-in time, but the front desk was very helpful to get me in my room without any issues.
My room review is just as good as the friendliness of the staff.
The room was spotless, bathroom is larger then most hotel rooms, bed felt brand new, and a good selection of pillows. The bathroom was a huge plus. I would normally have trouble with having hot water in other hotels, but here it was not an issue.
The TV was in HI-Def. with a full selection of channels provided by Directv, which included a few choices of movie networks,
My only issue was the same with most hotels. The sink was slow to drain.
Overall, I am very pleased with this hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Hi MikeR

Thanks so much for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you had such a great stay here at the Holiday Inn Express. We do hope that you will choose us during your next visit in Portland, Or!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My stay here was a very pleasant one. The desk clerks ask me about setting up wake up calls before I had a chance to mention it. I was able to have a nice breakfast before I walked to work up the street. Also, it's close to 23rd where you can safely walk to eat, shop or just have a relaxing stroll. My room was very clean, up to date and the WI FI was faster than most I've stayed in. The view from the upstairs room that I had was nice to see the surroundings. My taxi for Friday morning was scheduled several days in advance and it was there as I asked. The employees there at the desk and the breakfast area always greeted you with a smile. I had a problem and the desk clerks went out of their way to help me and it wasn't hotel related issue. I will continue to stay here each time I travel to this area for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the streets could be noisy from street traffic if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Hi there Karen H

Thanks so much for your review, we truly appreciate your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to Portland, OR!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Had a large suite which was quiet and very comfortable. The hotel is immediately accessible to the highway system, but is also on the edge of an upscale neighborhood with several, good local restaurants a short walk down NW 23rd Ave. The breakfast was very good and the hotel staff were very accommodating. The parking area is a two story garage and there was ample available spaces. The hotel is clean and I believe the location is very safe. The only criticism is the elevator; it's very, very slow. By comparison to downtown hotels, this is an exceptional value. If you want to use public transportation, bus service is nearby. I found that driving downtown and parking was a simple task, and only about 15 mins. away. Probably the best value for a hotel in the vicinity of downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John S
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Hi John S

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Nob Hill district is definitely a wonderful neighborhood to be in, and we're happy to know that you think so as well! I do hope that you will choose us again during your next visit to Portland!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about our stay. The room was wonderful, breakfast was good, free wifi. The best part is that this hotel is in the best location for everything in Portland. Walk up 2 blocks and you are in Nob Hill, a beautiful place where stores are in old heritage houses, great restaurants. The best part is you are within a 15 minute drive to the Zoo. You are within walking distance to the street car which will take you everywhere. I don't usually give recommendations, but had to this time hotel, staff and location is the best. Will recommend this to everyone who asks and will return to stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy M
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Hello Nancy M

Thank you so much for your review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, and amenities. We are glad to know that you will stay with us again in the future. See you again soon!

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Quiet - Clean - Good breakfast - Wonderful bed - Staff was very kind - Great location that is close to lots of great restaurants and sights. FREE PARKING! I was there for a one-night business trip and will definately stay there next month when I return to Portland.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Todd G

Hi Todd G

Thanks for the great review! We look forward to seeing you again!