“Thanks to the staff for preventing this from being a total disaster.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown
Ranked #51 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Arrived and had to wait on a room. The desk agent was very helpful and found one soon after.After a long trip, I was ready just to relax. The lobby, breakfast area, everything looked very professional and like the typical Holiday Inn Express. Not a 5 star hotel, but would expect at least a 3 star. Once I had my keys, I got on the elevator up to my floor. There was a small piece of paper inside the elevator that said "pardon our mess." Once the elevator doors opened, I realized what a 'mess' it really was. It felt like I was in a 3rd world country. As I tried to relax, they were ripping wall sconces off the wall, sanding the walls, panting the walls. They had even removed the numbers from the doors and had post it notes with the room numbers. At one point we saw several kids moving room numbers around to confuse people. It was loud, the smell was awful, and it was uncomfortable. Later my friends arrived separately. I had assured them that Holiday Inn Express were consistently quality hotels and not to worry about any problems. When they showed up, I was downright embarrassed that I had made the reservations. The desk staff were very nice and helpful. There is a small convenience store next to the hotel, maybe 30 feet from the front door, but even walking there at night feels sketchy. If my friends weren't already on the way and I hadn't already checked in, I would have demanded they book me in another hotel. As it was, I felt stuck. You can take a look at the photos yourself? Is this a place you'd expect to pay $120 a night for a basic room? Inside the room wasn't so bad, everything outside the room other than the lobby was scary. The hallways, the area, the people hanging out at the store next door. They should have closed the floors off to customers during major renovations. This is not the way to provide quality hospitality to patrons.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before paying or checking in to make sure you're not on a floor being renov...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank struct84
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear struct84,

I appreciate your willingness to share your experience! I am pleased to know the service you received from our staff was good. Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the conditions of the halls due to the renovations. Rest assured, I have taken note of your comments and will be forwarding it to the appropriate departments. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel our stay was pleasant. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable, the pillows could be a little softer but overall we all slept well. The shower had good water pressure. Nice LG HD tv's with several channels (no Disney Channel). Breakfast was nice and extended for about a 1/2 hour. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. There is a small snack shop that is open 24 hours which is convenient for soda and quick snacks. Its close to the freeway and to downtown. I would stay again and I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Tiffany C, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear BHHStew514,

Thank you very much for your review! We all look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland! Have a great new year!

Tiffany Cushman and the rest of the Holiday Inn Express Staff :)

P.S. If you would like all soft pillows in your room just let us know when you make your reservation or when you check in. We will be happy to accommodate!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This HIX is meets the brand's standard of a newish building, good but bland rooms, free breakfast, lots of parking, basic amenities, all for a reasonable mid-range price. It is this hotel's location that makes it great value. It is on a busy road, yes, just off the 405, but it also right at the end of NW 23rd street, the sedate and colourful main shopping and eating street of the fashionable Nob Hill district. Within 3 blocks of the hotel, there are several good restaurants, a bakery/deli, and two pubs. Farther up 23rd are a variety of excellent boutiques and craft-style shops, grocery stores, and even brand-name retailers. Better yet, parking here is free (half of the spaces are in a covered garage) and we were able to get downtown quickly by walking the 4 blocks to the street car, which took us downtown for a $1 fare. Hard to beat that.

We paid $94 to $114 for a king bed room on the fourth floor. The bathroom and air conditioning were good. The bed was excellent and the television and channels impressive. Noise was a bit of a problem: the hotel was very busy and voices from the halls were always audible. Moreover, our neighbours' television and frequent domestic arguments oozed through the locked double doors that connected our room with theirs. Finally, the hotel was having its hallways renovated, and the workers made significant noise between 8:30 and 5. HIX should discount its room rates for the periods of such work because it diminishes the guests' experience somewhat.

The breakfast was HIX-standard however the eating area is too small for the size of the hotel. On both mornings it was difficult to find a space at one of the only 12 tables, and some of these tables are close to the buffet which caused traffic jams. More than one guest just sat in the lounge chairs in the hall or took a tray up to the rooms.

There is an indoor pool and an small exercise room equipped with a weight machine, treadmill, and bike.

Room Tip: Most rooms are away from the busy Vaughn Street, so street noise is not a problem.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello There NW_Raven!

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel. We appreciate it greatly. The renovations are finally done. We made sure that our workers were in the hallways when most of our guests were at work so we do apologize for the extra noise during the day. The rates for all of our guests had been adjusted in advance for the inconvenience of the construction for the month of December.

Regarding the noise from your neighbors, if ever you do hear other guests disturb you please do call our front desk. We are there for you 24 hours a day and will gladly take care of the noise. Our goal is for you to have the best stay possible and we will do whatever it takes.

I am sorry that the breakfast area was overcrowded on the days you were here. During the majority of the year our guests are busy business travelers who take breakfast to go which leaves the dining area free for our leisure guests. We did not predict that busy of a breakfast crowd that day otherwise we would have opened one of our meeting rooms as an extended seating area. Again, we are very sorry for your trouble at breakfast.

It's always great to hear when a guests has a great time in Nob Hill! Thank you for writing about your experience! Lastly, we want to truly thank you for staying with us. It has been our pleasure serving you and we look forward to it again in the future. Have a wonderful week!

Tiffany Cushman and the Holiday Inn Express Staff!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Great room rate which includes breakfast and parking. We didn't eat breakfast here though as there are some great places to go within walking distance. We went to besaw's which was delicious! They were doing renovations when we were there so there was quite a bit of dust around but the inside of the room was clean. Great access to the freeway but have a drive to get into downtown Portland.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank AHDeeVan

Hi there AHDeeVan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Good News! The wallpaper renovations are done! Besaw's is a long time favorite of our guests and staff. With so much great food in the area you could stay for two weeks and not have eaten at all the great breakfast places around here! We hope you will come stay with us again!

Have a lovely day!
Tiffany Cushman and the rest of the Holiday Inn Express Team!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed two nights. Location is GREAT! 23rd street is full of restaurants and, all within walking distance. We parked the car and didn't use it for two days. You can walk to the public transportation system that will take you anywhere you want to go, $5/day. The staff was very helpful and the free breakfast was one of the best. Rooms are large and we had a great view of the bridge from the forth floor. Workout room is small with the bare necessities of equipment but the pool is large. If I go back to Portland, I know where I am staying!!

Room Tip: ask for forth floor facing the bridge
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joe c

Helo Joe C,

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear that you got to explore the Nob Hill district of downtown. It's got to be nice being able to park your car and not have to even think of filling up with gas for a few days. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Have a great day!

Tiffany Cushman and the rest of the Holiday Inn Express Staff :)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights not too long ago.
The staff was very nice throughout--from check-in to cleaning to breakfast room.
The location is great. it is right off a Portland highway bridge and very convenient to downtown (maybe 10 minute drive). There is plenty of free parking, which is not clear from the HI website.

Hotel amenities include a very small work out room, indoor pool, and included breakfast. The food is very much the standard HIE fare, but will definitely get you going in the morning.

The hotel appear very new. I'm guessing only a couple years old.
The rooms are sizeable enough and comfortable and quiet (despite the proximity to a highway!). No complaints at all about the accommodations.

The area around the hotel is apparently on the edge of the Nob Hill area; though I walked through some very industrial areas and train tracks to get to a brewpub I wanted to visit about 1 mile away.

Only complaint was the the single elevator was brutally slow and I'd usually walk down the 4 flights to the lobby if I was headed out. Not a huge factor if you're mobile and don't have luggage.

I'd highly recommend this as a base for Portland or Hillsboro if you like the HIE level hotels. (I do for it's breakfasts and casual atmosphere).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank relambjr

Dear relambjr,

Thank you very much for your kind review! Our hotel is actually twelve years old, your review makes it feel young again. Our efforts to keep her in top shape seem to be paying off! We are all very happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us. It sounds like you must have visited MacTarnahans Brewery. That is a fabulous hidden brewery that most guests never find because of the location. We hope they fed you well. Though our elevator is slow she gets the job done. Our front desk agents like to joke about how it gives us a little more time to get to know the guests. Next time you stay with us please let us know if you would like to stay on a lower floor to save some time. We will be happy to accommodate you!

Thank you again for your review! We all look forward to seeing you again!

Tiffany Cushman and the rest of the Holiday Inn Express Team!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and another couple from November 16-18. We lucked out and got a great deal on two rooms booking through Hotwire.com... The hotel was nice - everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn express. The location would appear iffy to anyone who has never been to Portland but being close to the restaurants and shops in the Nobb Hill area was ideal for us, and an easy walk downtown. Free Parking! huge bonus. But where this hotel really shines is the SERVICE! It was outstanding. Breakfast was free, continental style, serve yourself, and I yet I was asked twice by staff how my breakfast was. The front desk staff was top-notch, extremely helpful in giving us directions, calling cabs, making dinner reservations... Really above and beyond. Not sure what the normal rate is but we felt like our stay here was a steal of a deal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindziloo
Tiffany C, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Lindziloo,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are so happy that you got to enjoy Portland's Nob Hill district and the service! Often times people don't take advantage of the help that our front desk can provide like making reservations, booking cabs, assisting with boarding passes and more. We are all here to help around the clock. All of us here thank you again for your kind words.

Tiffany Cushman