Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown
Ranked #52 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Was a little unsure of the hotel and location, but very pleasantly surprised. Location couldn't be better. So many great things in walking distance, 23rd and 21st can take a day on their own to explore. Service was exceptional, and I'm very picky. Front desk was friendly and accomodating, and provided excellent local knowledge.

Breakfast is uninspiring, with average/standard offerings.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T D
Leo P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Portland-Nw Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear T D,

Thank you for taking time and reviewing our hotel. We are glad to know the area was a pleasant surprise for you. As many people have noticed, the places to go around here are somewhat hidden at first glance. We are happy to have given you exceptional service, our Front Desk staff and Housekeeping do their best to make this hotel as comforting and helpful as possible. We look forward to your next stay here at the Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I always do a considerable amount of research before booking a hotel, and this time was no exception. In this Holiday Inn Express (a brand that has yet to let me down), I found everything I was looking for: nice rooms, free parking, walkable distance to restaurants and downtown, pool & hot tub, fitness facility, free breakfast. I can't recommend this hotel enough. If you'd like more detail, read on.

Value: The hotel isn't cheap, but once you subtract the money you would have paid for parking and breakfast elsewhere, it's really not bad. Given the ideal location, and the room and amenity quality, I feel the cost is reasonable.

Service: Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful, and the staff went out of their way to ensure that our stay (which was for a special occasion) was comfortable and memorable.

Location: Couldn't be better. It's the best of all worlds: right off the freeways, close to downtown but also on a tree-lined street filled with stores and restaurants in a residential neighborhood, and also very close to the wonderful Forest Park. You can park your car (yes, for free! Not easy to find!), and easily walk down 23rd Ave to downtown and the river.

Room: Beautiful. Granted we were in an "executive king" which I think is the best they have, but it was huge, immaculately clean, with a sitting area, mini-fridge, huge flat-screen TV, A/C, curtains that *actually* made the room dark(!), with tasteful furnishings and decor. Shower was great too (always an important criterion!).

Sleep Quality: Great. Dark enough, cool enough, quiet enough. But the highlight was the king bed, one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever experienced (bucking the awful new trend of hotel beds that are hard as concrete), with super-soft linens and fantastic cushy pillows. In a word, it was dreamy.

Amenities: We never had time to use the pool or hot tub (they close at 11:00 pm - I don't understand why these things are never open 24 hours - it's not like there's a lifeguard!) but both looked good to me, as did the basic fitness facilities (a couple of cardio machines, a few weight machines and some free weights).

Breakfast: Average, but not bad considering it's free. Decent variety. Eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, yogurt, pastries, really good cinnamon buns, coffee, tea, juice, oatmeal, fruit etc. The scrambled eggs were the only real low point, but this is often the case with mass-produced food, so no worries. Breakfast ends at 9:30 am, even on weekends (and they literally start taking the food away at EXACTLY 9:30, so make sure you get some while you can!), which seems a TAD early, however, it ends up being a good thing as it forces you to get out and start your day earlier than you might have otherwise. This was good for us.

Overall, this Holiday Inn Express is a fantastic choice for a stay in Portland, and I highly recommend it. We will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: I recommend a top (4th) floor room at the north end. But you can't hear traffic noise at all re...
1  Thank YVR19

Dear JP19,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are happy to have met your needs, as it is our top priority here to accommodate our guests. The beds have been a favorite with guests and your comfort is something we do our best to satisfy. Unfortunately, the breakfast does not stay open later than 9:30 on the weekdays and 10:00 on the weekends, however, we do our best to ensure our guests are able to get their breakfast. We hope you were able to soak up as much Portland as possible during your stay. We look forward to your next stay here and hope it is just as great as the first time.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

HIX is well located near many trendy shops and restaurants along 23rd. Also easy to get to. I don't care for the breakfast at HIX , but no problem bagel shops and french bakery are within a pleasant walk. When we stayed the Nob Hill neighborhood was having a boil water order, but the desk provided plenty of bottled water at no charge. Our room was a suite of 2 rooms with a fridge, and 2 TV's very comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful and i felt it was a very safe place.

1  Thank Patricia L

Dear Patricia L,

We appreciate you taking time to review your stay with us. Our water boil order only lasted for a couple days, thankfully. I am very happy to hear you were able to try out some of the local bakeries around the Nob Hill area, they have some delicious treats! We hope to see you for your next visit to Portland.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I admit it - we haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in years. On a recent vacation to Portland, Oregon I found that almost all of the downtown hotels were sold out for the days we aimed to travel and/or they were outragiously expensive.

So - I settled on a Holiday Inn Express in a nearby district named Nob Hill. We found it to be an absolute delight. Spacious rooms, with recently remodeled decor and furniture, excellent pool/spa area and fitness center, helpful and knowledgeable front desk staff, nice breakfast and free newspapers, etc. Great location near downtown and within walking distance to both Nob Hill and the Pearl district.

We loved it. Well done to the hotel staff.

Dear ChicoSkip,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad to hear we were a wonderful surprise on your trip to Portland. Our hotel does its best to accommodate guests with what we can, price and comfort in mind. We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I love Holiday Inn Hotels. They're reliable. This one is too. Clean, friendly, predictable breakfast and amenities. So, what makes this one different? Location. Downtown Portland is a zoo, its crowded, confusing, and parking is a NIGHTMARE. Downtown hotel$$ are spendy and charge for parking. This place is about a mile or so from Burnside (the main e-w street downtown) so you can get to downtown easily. I-405 ramp is 1 block over. Jack-in-the-Box is across the street for 24 hour snacks. Decent parking lot. 23rd (cross street) is a hopping place. Convenience store next door is not cheap. But, if you're doing something downtown this is an affordable, clean, and convenient location. It was quiet, but best of all BEST OF ALL was the most amazing TV I have ever seen IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. The color and clarity of the tv was so awesome you could almost smell the hot dogs at the baseball game we were watching- rent there for the tv alone!! I have a big HD set at home and this one kicked it to the curb.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west have a view of the rooftop and some industrial buildings, so if you want a view, t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy S

Dear cindysyn,

We appreciate your review. As many people do encounter, Downtown does tend to have hectic parking, which is why we love our public transportation options. We upgraded our TVs within the last year to our HD flat screen ones to accommodate our guests better. We are so happy to hear how much you liked them! We hope to see you for your next visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for about 4 nights. Hotel is in a great location. You can walk to restaurants and stores. Also, you can take the freeway in less than 5 minutes.

Hotel offers a hearty complimentary breakfast. Rooms are nice and clean. However room #201 is the noisiest. Front desk won't even mention it as if they don't know it. They run out of towels which for a hotel this size, it's sort of embarrassing. Front desk could use some customer service training. I had an issue with my room missing one TV remote control. I mentioned it to a blonde female at front desk and she told me she'd get the remote control replaced that day. This NEVER happened! Then the next day I mentioned it to a brunette in the a.m. She too said would mention it to the manager and get this remote control replace. It never got done. And as if that wasn't enough, that same day when attempted getting in my room coincidentally my 2 room key cards didn't work. I had one key car in my pocket and the other in my car's glove compartment. When I went to the front dest, the guy with the curly/frizzy pony tail told me that maybe I exposed my cards to a magnet, etc. I had one card in my front pocket and other in another place. Never was a magnet near any of the key cards, REILLY? So, I spent time going from my room to the front desk twice and unnecessarily. Aside from this insident, I thought their rooms w/exception of room #201 was satisfactory. I hope management reads this review and does something about it.

Room Tip: Room #201 faces the freeway/bridge and main street therefore is very NOISY. Get a room on the oppos...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear TravelerMind,

We appreciate you taking time to review your stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for our service during your stay, it is certainly something we make a priority. Room 201 is one of our largest rooms, however, it is closer to Vaughn St and at times can be noisier than other rooms. Our Front Desk usually will tell you what type of room you received and what floor, but any more description is not allowed for security purposes, I apologize for the lack of information on your room. If at anytime you are unsatisfied with your room, we would be happy to room move you to one more to your liking. With regard to the key cards, they tend to deactivate with the slightest change, and we have bought new cards and machines to help prevent that from happening. We have phones at the end of each hall that call the Front Desk directly, who would be more than happy to come up with a set of new key for you. I do apologize for not following up on the remote, we know our guests like to relax with the TV. We recently upgraded our TVs and made sure to have enough remotes for each room. The management has taken time to talk to the staff about the service mentioned here and hope that you will consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Above what I would rate a good stay. Pretty clean, friendly staff, nice rooms with flat screen tv, great views, microwave, and refrigerator. Overallit exceeds all my expectations of a good hotel so I'm rating excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank MommySmith2

Dear MommySmith2,

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express. We are happy to have accommodated you during your stay. We look forward to your next visit.