“Great Location, Free Parking”

Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
Ranked #56 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

HIX is well located near many trendy shops and restaurants along 23rd. Also easy to get to. I don't care for the breakfast at HIX , but no problem bagel shops and french bakery are within a pleasant walk. When we stayed the Nob Hill neighborhood was having a boil water order, but the desk provided plenty of bottled water at no charge. Our room was a suite of 2 rooms with a fridge, and 2 TV's very comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful and i felt it was a very safe place.

1  Thank Patricia L
Leo P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Patricia L,

We appreciate you taking time to review your stay with us. Our water boil order only lasted for a couple days, thankfully. I am very happy to hear you were able to try out some of the local bakeries around the Nob Hill area, they have some delicious treats! We hope to see you for your next visit to Portland.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I admit it - we haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in years. On a recent vacation to Portland, Oregon I found that almost all of the downtown hotels were sold out for the days we aimed to travel and/or they were outragiously expensive.

So - I settled on a Holiday Inn Express in a nearby district named Nob Hill. We found it to be an absolute delight. Spacious rooms, with recently remodeled decor and furniture, excellent pool/spa area and fitness center, helpful and knowledgeable front desk staff, nice breakfast and free newspapers, etc. Great location near downtown and within walking distance to both Nob Hill and the Pearl district.

We loved it. Well done to the hotel staff.

Dear ChicoSkip,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad to hear we were a wonderful surprise on your trip to Portland. Our hotel does its best to accommodate guests with what we can, price and comfort in mind. We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I love Holiday Inn Hotels. They're reliable. This one is too. Clean, friendly, predictable breakfast and amenities. So, what makes this one different? Location. Downtown Portland is a zoo, its crowded, confusing, and parking is a NIGHTMARE. Downtown hotel$$ are spendy and charge for parking. This place is about a mile or so from Burnside (the main e-w street downtown) so you can get to downtown easily. I-405 ramp is 1 block over. Jack-in-the-Box is across the street for 24 hour snacks. Decent parking lot. 23rd (cross street) is a hopping place. Convenience store next door is not cheap. But, if you're doing something downtown this is an affordable, clean, and convenient location. It was quiet, but best of all BEST OF ALL was the most amazing TV I have ever seen IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. The color and clarity of the tv was so awesome you could almost smell the hot dogs at the baseball game we were watching- rent there for the tv alone!! I have a big HD set at home and this one kicked it to the curb.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west have a view of the rooftop and some industrial buildings, so if you want a view, t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy S

Dear cindysyn,

We appreciate your review. As many people do encounter, Downtown does tend to have hectic parking, which is why we love our public transportation options. We upgraded our TVs within the last year to our HD flat screen ones to accommodate our guests better. We are so happy to hear how much you liked them! We hope to see you for your next visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for about 4 nights. Hotel is in a great location. You can walk to restaurants and stores. Also, you can take the freeway in less than 5 minutes.

Hotel offers a hearty complimentary breakfast. Rooms are nice and clean. However room #201 is the noisiest. Front desk won't even mention it as if they don't know it. They run out of towels which for a hotel this size, it's sort of embarrassing. Front desk could use some customer service training. I had an issue with my room missing one TV remote control. I mentioned it to a blonde female at front desk and she told me she'd get the remote control replaced that day. This NEVER happened! Then the next day I mentioned it to a brunette in the a.m. She too said would mention it to the manager and get this remote control replace. It never got done. And as if that wasn't enough, that same day when attempted getting in my room coincidentally my 2 room key cards didn't work. I had one key car in my pocket and the other in my car's glove compartment. When I went to the front dest, the guy with the curly/frizzy pony tail told me that maybe I exposed my cards to a magnet, etc. I had one card in my front pocket and other in another place. Never was a magnet near any of the key cards, REILLY? So, I spent time going from my room to the front desk twice and unnecessarily. Aside from this insident, I thought their rooms w/exception of room #201 was satisfactory. I hope management reads this review and does something about it.

Room Tip: Room #201 faces the freeway/bridge and main street therefore is very NOISY. Get a room on the oppos...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear TravelerMind,

We appreciate you taking time to review your stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for our service during your stay, it is certainly something we make a priority. Room 201 is one of our largest rooms, however, it is closer to Vaughn St and at times can be noisier than other rooms. Our Front Desk usually will tell you what type of room you received and what floor, but any more description is not allowed for security purposes, I apologize for the lack of information on your room. If at anytime you are unsatisfied with your room, we would be happy to room move you to one more to your liking. With regard to the key cards, they tend to deactivate with the slightest change, and we have bought new cards and machines to help prevent that from happening. We have phones at the end of each hall that call the Front Desk directly, who would be more than happy to come up with a set of new key for you. I do apologize for not following up on the remote, we know our guests like to relax with the TV. We recently upgraded our TVs and made sure to have enough remotes for each room. The management has taken time to talk to the staff about the service mentioned here and hope that you will consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Above what I would rate a good stay. Pretty clean, friendly staff, nice rooms with flat screen tv, great views, microwave, and refrigerator. Overallit exceeds all my expectations of a good hotel so I'm rating excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank MommySmith2

Dear MommySmith2,

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express. We are happy to have accommodated you during your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed a week in Portland at the Holiday Inn Express to visit our daughter over the fourth of July. She lives in the Nob Hill neighborhood. The HIX was very convenient for our needs. We were at the end of 23rd Street which is a very vibrant area with shops and restaurants. Our location was very convenient for access to the Interstate.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was the standard HIX food and beverages. Two mornings we walked up 23rd Street two blocks to eat breakfast at Besaws. Another couple of mornings we walked a block over to Saint Honore Bakery, a classic French bakery.

A plus for the HIX is the free parking. If you have ever been to Portland you know that parking is at a premium there. The bed was comfortable and we had good sleeping. I had requested and received a room on the top floor away from the elevator. It was quiet during our stay.

We definitely plan to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown during our next visit to see our daughter. It met all our needs.

Room Tip: Very convenient location for the Nob Hill area and for access to the interstate. I asked for and re...
2  Thank Razorfish

Dear Razorfish,

We appreciate you taking time to review your stay with us. It is always great to hear guests enjoying the local eateries around our hotel like Besaw's and Saint Honore. We are always happy to accommodate our guests with free parking and anything else to make their stay as easy and comfortable as possible. We hope you and your family visit us soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Couldn't have asked for anything more from a hotel in the city. I stayed there for a full week and never had a problem or shortage of things to do and places to eat. The hotel is at the edge of a great area in Portland. Within a few short blocks of the hotel you can find just about every type of food, beer or wine at nice (and casual) local restaurants. The staff were very friendly and provided a great map of the area along with a list of great restaurants. City wise, the hotel is very centrally located and had very easy access to the highways.

Free parking, breakfast included, quite area, coffee house right next door, friendly staff, great neighborhood, pool, hot tub, small gym, good TV's - not much more to ask for.

Room Tip: Some rooms lack a view but was told they are quite and darker. If you want a view make sure to ask f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ksm67e

Dear ksm67e,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad to hear your stay was filled with all the Portland activities to keep your stay interesting. We look forward to your next stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express.