“South seas atmosphere and good eats”
Review of Trader Vic's - CLOSED

Trader Vic's
Cuisines: American, Polynesian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NW 12th
Transit: We are conveniently located one block from both the north and south bound Trolley cars, and bus 17 stops at the corner.
Description: :Temporarily closed due to fire: Trader Vic's was created by "Trader" Vic Bergeron in 1937 when he converted his saloon in Oakland, California, into a tropical retreat decorated with art and artifacts from the South Pacific, complemented by an ever-expanding menu of exotic and imaginative cocktails and Chinese/Polynesian-style food. Trader Vic's Portland offers an escape to paradise in the middle of the Pearl District. Enjoy great appetizers and finger foods, amazing entrees and mind-blowing exotic cocktails while surrounded by the world-famous Trader Vic's decor.
Portland, Oregon
“South seas atmosphere and good eats”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our dinner last night at Trader Vic's was a treat. The only problem is that the servings are quite large. We shared an appetizer (the sampler) and it was more than enough. We should have stopped there but I could not resist the Ocean Trio (the scallops were like butter and some of the best shrimp ever. The lobster, though, was dry) nor my husband the lamb which he reports was very good although most of it came home in a box. He raved about the coconut ball for dessert and with my taste, I can't help but agree. Oh, I have to report on the treat before dinner - a flat cracker covered in nuts and seeds served with a peanut butter. It was so yummy and complimentary.

The restaurant is in the Pearl District of Portland so there is a lot a fun places near the restaurant to enjoy like Keen's (their corporate headquarters), Filson, Oblation Paper and so much more. Plan to spend some "wandering" time.

• Visited May 2014

Washougal, Washington
“Fun atmosphere and location, yummy appetizer, but a bit slow”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband, 12 yr. old son, and I went to Trader Vic's last weekend for dinner. It was a rare warm spring night and we were excited to get a window seat along NW 12th Avenue. We got to watch all of the people walking and driving around the neighborhood.

The lavosh crackers and spicy peanut butter spread were a great way to start the meal, the Mai Tais were to die for (pretty strong and very tasty), and my son loved the chicken satay appetizer. Everything else was good but not great, which is one of the reasons I only gave it 4 stars. Also, the restaurant wasn't really crowded but the service was very slow. It took us 2 full hours to enjoy our appetizers, entrees, and dessert.

Regarding the other items we ordered, the calamari appetizer was a little underspiced, and the tofu-veggie-noodle and beef-and-reef entrees were both tasty but not outstanding. The chocolate-n-strawberry mousse and pineapple upside down cake were the same. For the prices they charge, I would expect more.

I might go back because of the atmosphere and location, but I think I might try sitting at the bar (assuming my son isn't with us) for faster service and maybe try to get there during happy hour, when the prices are more reasonable. We probably won't be back for a family dinner again any time soon.

• Visited May 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Trading Off Historic Quality”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've had dinner/drinks and also brunch . . . two strikes. I guess if you drink enough one won't notice the food quality/taste/presentation flaws. I didn't get drunk, so regretfully, I did notice. Service is also MIA (Missing In Action). I remember dining at several of the generation ONE Trader Vic's and food quality was exemplary. A Mai Tai wasn't from a mix bottle, but rather mixed by hand. The food was delicious in generation ONE, what I ate was greasy . . . We will not return

• Visited July 2013
Portland
“Fun happy hour”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Good things at good prices on happy hour. Reviving an old concept that older customers might remember!

Visited March 2014
“Awesome Happy Hour”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Happy Hour (4P-6P) menu is awesome. Choice of 12 dishes between $4 and $7. Drinks are a heavy pour at $6, drafts and wine start at $4. Great food, good party like atmosphere. Get there early on Friday's as the place fills up quickly.

Visited May 2014