“Beautiful boutique hotel”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 23, 2014

The Paramount is a lovely hotel in a superb location in the heart of downtown Portland. My room was tastefully appointed and extremely clean. More than enough space for someone traveling alone. I appreciated the in-room coffee maker and simple directions on how to use it. Since I was alone, I had more then enough towels for my 4-night stay so I put the "do not disturb" sign on the door the first day I arrived and left it there. There are no safes in the rooms, so I really did not want anyone coming in and out in my absence. The housekeeping staff honored my request and no one entered my room. If you are lucky enough, one of their concierge staff, James, will be working and gives excellent restaurant recommendations as well as helpful walking directions if you do not have a car and prefer to walk places. The young women at the front desk, while polite and courteous, could be a little warmer and engaging with guests. My only complaint is that their check-in time is 4:00pm....much too late in the day for travelers who arrive late morning/early afternoon. While the desk did put in a request for a rush on my room (I arrived at noon), it was still a good 2 hours later that my room was ready. Other than that and no safes in the hotel room, the Paramount is really a beautiful and comfortable hotel and one that I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Right now there is a huge construction project going on across the street from the front of the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Thank you vjeash!

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Would definitely look for a different hotel if I'm ever in Portland again. We stayed for 3 nights. The room was small, but very clean and well-appointed. For two showers, I had only tepid water. Definitely unacceptable. We had just stayed 5 nights at the Sheraton in Seattle which is a million times nicer than the Paramount. The Paramount actually cost more and offered way less in terms of comfort and amenities. The fitness center has only 4 cardio machines and it freezing cold. Staff were fine/nice. It's in a great location. Construction work on building going up on other side of Director's Park starts at 7am. I was up before then so the noise didn't bother me, but my spouse slept later, and he was not happy. (August 2014).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the front (Taylor St) side of hotel while construction of building across the plaza i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed here just this past may, and boy are we sure happy we did! It was quiet, clean, and very nice. The staff were all smiles and very professional. It is just a couple blocks away from the Alder St Foodcarts (which are all amazing!) We weren't able to try the restaurant (it was still under construction), but we had plenty of choices down the block! We loved Portland (go to the saturday market if you get a chance) and cannot wait to come back, and we will surely stay here again!

Room Tip: Our room faced the streets but had no issues at all with noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks stefunny415, see you next time!

Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is a nice older hotel in a perfect SW downtown location. It is within walking distance of Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall and Pioneer Place Mall. The rooms are small, but clean and well appointed. Although breakfast is not complimentary, there is a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also a Starbucks next door. The King sized bed was comfortable and we had no issues with noise, however we stayed on a weeknight and the patrons were mostly business travelers. Check in and check out was a breeze. There are 2 parking garages nearby, which charge $15 per night, or you can use the valet service which was $31 per night. We will most likely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was a great hotel. It was very clean and the staff was super friendly! We arrived before check-in and dropped off our bags with the hotel and went around the city. The hotel is walking distance to everything which was nice. We asked the front desk for a room on a higher level and they gave it to us, it was nice. I would definitely stay here again! Portland is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Alexandria L, thanks for the great review!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I stayed at the Paramount Hotel in downtown Portland in late-July and early-August 2014. This high-rise hotel has been thoroughly renovated and was a very pleasant place to stay for my five nights in the City of Roses. I made my reservation on the hotel's website, chose one of the corner Executive Guest Rooms and was very satisfied with the 12th-floor room I was assigned.

My room was relatively spacious, very comfortable and nicely appointed. The view out the front window was to Director's Park, below. Individual climate control in my room worked well. The bed was large and comfortable for sleeping. I had plenty of work space for my laptop, and the wi-fi worked well. There was enough closet space for one guest, along with a sufficient number of wooden closet hangers.

The room was quiet at night, and I had no problem with getting it made up timely by housekeeping each of my stayover days -- although my friend in a room on a lower floor did have untimely (late-in-the-afternoon) visits from housekeeping on two of his four days. The housekeeping service for my room was good. I used the laundry service, and it was also good, if a tad expensive.

The bathroom was large and completely modern, with a particularly large shower enclosure. There were plenty of clean towels and some nice bathroom accessory items. Hot water for showers and at the sink was plentiful. The water pressure was good at all times.

The check-in and check-out at the front desk were easy and quick. My final bill was calculated accurately the first time. The bell service was good, and I appreciated the guys' efforts to hail taxis for us, as there are times of the day when taxis do not drive by so often. They also phoned taxis for us, when necessary. I felt the uniformed bellmen/doormen were very good at this hotel. The front desk staff were helpful, polite and efficient.

The concierge attendants were knowledgeable and helpful, dispensing directions to nearby restaurants, mini-marts and other businesses upon request. This hotel is very near a MAX light-rail stop, so you can take the train over to Portland's Washington Park easily from here, to visit the Japanese Garden, the Rose Garden and the Oregon Zoo. The Portland Art Gallery is only 1-1/2 blocks south. Pioneer Square is only 3-4 short blocks away. And the north/south streetcar that runs the length of the Pearl District is only 1-2 blocks west of the hotel entrance.

The hotel's restaurant is decent, if a little pricey. I wish they had a breakfast buffet; instead you order off the menu. But the food was good. The hotel's bar was surprisingly active during my stay. Both the restaurant and the bar are accessible directly from the lobby. The fitness room and the business center are one floor down from the lobby floor. I used the business center to check in for my departing flight and to print a boarding pass. Everything was quite convenient. The lobby itself is also a comfortable place to pass the time. The two main elevators run pretty quickly between floors.

I would stay here again and suggest you give this nicely renovated hotel a try, if you are willing to pay a few dollars more - for their overall services, larger room size and central location.

Room Tip: Book on the hotel's website and choose from among the room types and prices available. I enjoye...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you Route66stan for the detailed review!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel is excellent.. and provides all that we wanted for a lovely weekend adventure in Portland. We totally enjoyed our stay with access to all the great places in the town. We particularly enjoyed the closeness to the restaurants and lovely lounges

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Maggie N