“Such a nice stay - great staff”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I recently travelled to Portland for business and was booked at the Paramount. Wow! What a great experience. From check in to check out, everything was top rate. The room was very nicely appointed, comfortable and quiet. I had a great night's sleep. Once I checked in I was looking for somewhere to grab dinner. Being alone I didn't know where to go and the concierge recommended a restaurant right near the hotel. When I arrived, I was warmly greeted as he had called over to let them know I was on my way. The recommendation was a great one and what made it even more special was the complimentary appetizer he had sent to my table. What a special treat and a great thought. It made my stay. I would highly recommend this hotel. You will be glad you stayed.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the park
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you, kandjOregon, for the review and recommendation!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel was very clean, friendly, and centrally located. It was only 1 block away from the Max and 1 block from Nordstroms and the rest of the shopping. The trolley was easily accessible, as well. Room service in the morning was a tad slow, but that really wasn't an issue.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have been coming every November for Thanksgiving for four years. Still lovely rooms, but no double queens overlooking Director's Park, which is really the only side worth staying on. Also, this year HORRIBLE low-flow shower heads were very disappointing, as were the scratchy, overlaundered towels and the institutional, thin, scratchy toilet paper. And no microwave in the room, although I was told at checkout there were a "limited number" available for placement (why didn't I hear about this before?). I think for next year we will stay at a nice Holiday Inn or other chain hotel and save our money for the fabulous food available downtown!

Room Tip: Facing Director Park is the only way to go. Be aware that garbage trucks are very loud (and very ea...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kerry H
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at the Paramount for three nights in late November and we were delighted. We had not stayed in Portland for many years, so we did a fair amount of pre-booking research before settling on the Paramount due to price, location and a positive review from some friends. Simply stated, we will not let so many years pass before we visit this great city again and we won't research hotels, we'll just book the Paramount. Our corner room, 808, was spacious and comfortable, with lots of natural light due to windows on two walls. Well worth it if you have the option. It also had an excellent street view overlooking Director Park. The art work in the halls and rooms, photographs of Portland bridges, was very cool.

We found the staff to be friendly and attentive, but the main draw and payoff for us was the location. We simply walked everywhere we wanted to go to and were never too far away to duck back into our room to drop off shopping or take a quick break before heading out again for a few more hours.

Arriving on a Friday afternoon, we decided against the valet parking which is offered at $31 per night and parked ourselves across the street for less than half of that. The only difference is there are no in and out privileges at the parkade, so valet parking may be worth it if you wish to use your car during your stay.

There is a restaurant located adjacent to the hotel lobby where we had a reasonably priced and tasty breakfast every morning.

This is not a super high amenity hotel, but it has everything you really need. It appeared to have either been recently renovated or been well kept up. Overall, it is very clean and very comfortable at quite a reasonable price.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flynn78
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Paramount while visiting Portland. Overall, this is a great hotel that I definitely recommend to anyone who wants a place to stay in the middle of the city.

The pros:
* FANTASTIC location (1 block from the Red/Blue MAX line, 2 blocks from the Green/Yellow MAX line, 1 block from the Portland Streetcar, and near a bunch of shops and restaurants as well).
* The price is much less expensive than a lot of other hotels in the area
* The hotel itself is full-service, with a good restaurant (Tasting East) on site
* The staff is very friendly and helpful
* The rooms are a good size and were clean and comfortable
* The lobby is nice looking and has several seating groups that are good when you find yourself needing to wait for others

The cons:
* Since this is a downtown hotel, parking a car costs $31/night (although every hotel I've ever looked at in this area charges about the same)
* The bed was not especially comfortable, although it didn't prevent me from sleeping well
* Tasting East serves breakfast, but it's kind of pricey and there aren't a ton of options that would be less expensive in the area
* Some parts of the hotel show their age a little bit, although overall the hotel is well maintained and clean

I was able to get a particularly good rate by booking through AAA (it didn't require a membership, although I do have one), but even the rates offered directly by the hotel are much cheaper than similar hotels in this part of Portland. I fully intend to stay here again, although I might try to figure out a way to visit without a car so I can avoid the cost of parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary A
Reviewed November 24, 2013

First off, the downtown location can't be beat! It's very close to Powell's, excellent restaurants, museums and Farmer's Markets. The valet and bell staff are outstanding as are the front desk and Concierge. The check-in was somewhat cumbersome in that they wanted both of us to sign every form. Weird, but OK.

The room was a corner room overlooking the square. It was comfortable and functional although not what I'd call upscale or luxurious. The bathroom was stocked with very high quality toiletries and the bedding was quite comfortable. The closet was the oddest I've seen in a hotel. It was very deep, at least 6' and quite narrow, maybe less than 3'. The ironing board was just inside the door making the opening even more narrow. The closet door is set at a 45 degree angle.

Avoid the restaurant in the lobby for breakfast. There are better places close by.

Room Tip: Overlooking the square was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Fantastic location, helpful, friendly staff and nice property. Located in the middle of downtown, you can walk to just about anywhere. Great restaurants within a block or two, brew-pubs nearby, Nordstrom & other shopping an easy walk. The front desk staff & valets were terrific - friendly, helpful & readily available. Our room was clean, well-appointed & the beds were very comfortable. This is an older hotel (updated) so if you're looking for something brand new with absolutely no hint of age, this isn't it. However, the lobby, hallways & rooms are all updated & in excellent condition. My ONLY complaint is the water pressure. I'm all for water conservation, but the low flow showerheads are REALLY low flow.

We stayed on the weekend so I don't know what weekday prices are but what we paid was very fair for the service & accommodations. Others mentioned the street noise (trash truck in the morning was about all we heard) but you ARE in the middle of the city so it wasn't anything unexpected or excessive.

I had asked for extra pillows & towels when making the reservation - and they were in the room when we arrived. (Which, in my experience, happens only 20% of the time.) Excellent service!

We will definitely stay at the Paramount whenever we're in Portland!

Room Tip: Higher floor if street noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thanks for the wonderful review ColoChick_11! See you on your next visit to Portland.