“Exceptional hotel”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend, and had a wonderful experience. All the standard requirements for a nice stay were met - staff was pleasant and efficient, decor appealing, beds comfy, etc. Though there was a minor hiccup with the air conditioning unit, the hotel had many pleasant "extras" that more than made up for it, and warrant an exceptional rating:

1) During our stay, all rooms and room floors were decorated with framed works by a local photographer, depicting the many beloved bridges of Portland. Elevator landings also had tables designed by local design students to compliment the photographs. Such support of the local artists and pride in the city gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me!
2) Environmentally friendly policies such as providing toiletry dispensers in the showers (instead of those wasteful mini plastic bottles) and only washing towels when left on the floor also gets kudos from me.
3) Chupa Chup lollipops in abundance in the hotel lobby. If you've never tried one, you should. They are really good!

Management and staff have done an excellent job at making the Paramount an exceptional property, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in downtown Portland.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hello ItineraryLady, thank you so much for the nice review! I loved reading that you enjoyed our local art, it’s nice to know that it appreciated by you. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed for a few nights-- as others have pointed out, the location is very good. Our room was clean and comfortable-- and the staff were all very friendly. Our room was quiet and the wi-fi worked well.

The in-house restaurant was fantastic-- Portland has so many great dining options that we only got to experience it once! I would gladly return to the Paramount on future trips!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

From this location we could walk everywhere. Totally enjoyed the Pearl District and the Saturday/Sunday market which has unique and creative merchandise.
The hotel and rooms are very clean and comfortable, and a good value for the dollar in an expensive hotel district. The front desk was professional and courteous.

The only thing I was not satisfied with was the Concierge. The front desk had to call him in the morning. He seemed distracted and did not respond with any enthusiasm when asking for help. I asked him for "a good place for breakfast " within walking distance. ( We had just arrived and did not know the area.) Well he suggested "Mothers" which was about a 20 minute walk- not too bad distance wise, but when I asked him if some streets were safer/better/busier/prettier to go down then others he said it was all the same. I was in the lobby with 3 young children, so I thought he would" get" what I was asking for. So following his route we had to walk past several blocks with many transients/homeless and by some places advertising things that I did not want my kids to see. After I learned the downtown area I found there were many fantastic places about 5 to 8 minutes away if we went in the direction of the Pearl District or toward Nordstrum that I discovered on my own. Why he did not tell us about this area or direction, beats me. He lead us down a lonely area of the downtown to get to one breakfast house. A suggestion for the manager: Have the concierge "walk the streets" so he can present the best and safest of Portland. If it wasn't for the disturbing experience I would be giving the hotel 4 stars.

Regardless of this one mislead guidence by the Concierge, the rest of the hotel was just fine, and I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Turn the air off at night to avoid noise. Nearby 9th and 10th streets are great!
1  Thank seaturtledove
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed two nights. Very clean room. Staff very, very friendly. Centrally located so easy to get to just about anywhere in Portland using the streetcar or light rail. Check in and check out was quick. The farmers market at Pioneer Square and the park directly behind the Paramount had excellent fruits/vegetables and baked goods? Will definitely stay here again!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the Paramount Hotel for just two nights (would have been happy to be there longer). The hotel is very well located, next to Director Park and within walking distance to the Saturday Market and Farmer's market, all the major shopping areas, and the museums. The Hotel is elegantly appointed, modern but comfortable. There is free Wifi in the rooms. Bedding was excellent, and the noise level was low. We were on the top floor, and could occasionally hear some street noise but no hallway noise. The room has a mini fridge (empty), coffeepot, and ours had a Jacuzzi tub. There is a small gym, but we did not use it. Valet parking is currently $31/day but there are many lots nearby for about $12-13. If you are not planning on coming and going a lot, I recommend self-parking.

Overall, lovely hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I think the higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Nysatx, thank you for the kind words, we are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here July 20-23. I had asked for a early check in and a high floor since I had read other reviews of street noise. I got both! The only problem was the group of ladies next door the last two nights that did not respect other guests late at night. Very noisy when they came it. We just turned the AC lower to drown the noise! Doorman was very nice as well as front desk. Very knowledgeable of restaurants. TE has a great breakfast - wonderful French Toast!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and hope you don't get noisy neighbors late at night! There was no pool a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I travel to Portland several times a year and almost always stay at the Paramount. The central location is very convenient, I've always received excellent service from the staff, and I really enjoy the Te restaurant. I highly recommend the Paramount for stays in central Portland.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you CharlesGrant, see you next time!