“Lovely downtown Portland hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Portland
“Lovely downtown Portland hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Exceptional service. Beautiful, spacious room with large balcony overlooking one of Portland's quaint side streets. Very quiet. Wonderful shopping and restaurants just outside the front door. Fantastic restaurant on site. Walking to lots of attractions. Have stayed many similar hotels in the area, but this is by far my favorite!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hapj123, thank you for such a nice review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilmette, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel is in a great location and offers large rooms at a reasonable price, however, during my April visit, I had two complaints:
1) I was awakened at 5am-ish by the noise of garbage trucks that sounded like they were in the room with me!
2) Sevaral days after checking out of the hotel and returning to Chicago, I was charged $40 for a lost umbrella (details below)...
On the morning of my check-out, I borrowed an umbrella from the front desk for my walk to/from the Heathman for breakfast. An hour later, I returned an umbrella in my possession to the front desk, the clerk accepted it, thanked me, and signed me out.
Later that week, I received a call from the hotel notifying me that the umbrella I returned wasn't the one that was provided to me, and that they were charging me $40 for this loss. If the clerk had informed me at that time that I had returned the wrong umbrella, I could have walked back to the restaurant to retrieve the correct one. I tried to explain this to staff of the hotel in two subsequent phone calls, but they were unsympathetic and refused to reverse the charge.
I'll never know if I really returned the wrong umbrella, but I'm certain that I'll never return!

Room Tip: Be sure to request that your room be located on the side of the building opposite of where the garba...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank chicagowestlooper
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just spent one night in Portland and were realy made to feel welcome by the hotel staff. We had a super rpoom with a balcolny and a special Spa bath. The stay was part of an anniversary road trip and this hotel stands out amongst the others we have stayed in.

Room Tip: We stayed in a second floor with a balcolny, an excellent choice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Paramount and were impressed the minute Ed, the concierge on duty, opened the door. Ed couldn't have been more helpful for directions, a place to eat on our late arrival all done with a smile. Our hotel was fancy, and loved the comfortable beds. Location of the hotel is terrific. Will definetly stay at the Paramount on our next visit.

Room Tip: On the 15th floor and the room was exceptionallly quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Msgmel
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Msgmel, thank you for your review and kind words about Ed. I have already shared them with him and the rest of the staff.
Winston, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed at the Paramount for two nights for a girls getaway. The room was nothing fancy but had plenty of room for three women and all of the stuff we dragged along with us. There was a nice balcony that overlooked 9th street and the room was surprisingly quiet for being downtown. The beds were very comfortable. Only complaint was that the bathroom had a musty smell. The staff was friendly and very helpful and gave good directions and suggestions. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and a Max transit station is nearby. Very reasonably priced for what you get. Valet parking is $31 which seems a little steep but that's what most hotels in the downtown area charge.

The restaurant, Tasting East, was delicious! Great drinks and even had a gluten free menu.

Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Emily M
Issaquah, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter and I visited Portland for a short weekend, staying at this hotel one night. We previously have stayed at the Marriott on the waterfront, and wanted to try staying more central to the downtown core. This was a perfect location. The hotel was quiet and pleasant, with nice décor, comfortable bed and pillows and everything else you would expect from a downtown hotel. We hoped to find a property with lots of old-world charm and character, and while this certainly had more personality than the Marriott, it wasn't quite as unique as we had hoped. Still, we would consider staying here again.
Special Tips:
1. Save yourself the valet charge of $31 per night and self-park in the garage that is under the movie theater on the corner. Park in section P and you will come out of the elevator directly across from the hotel. We paid $12.50 for a stay from 11 am one day until 9 am the next.
2. Use caution in the bathtubs and USE the rubber mat provided. The "non-skid" material on the floor of the tub in our room was useless and I took a fall - could be disastrous.
3. Bring your walking shoes - everything is within walking distance from this central location and you will want to enjoy the many shops, the Saturday market, the Pearl District, etc.
Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vivendi4
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Paramount for a week and I could not be more pleased. The staff was very helpful and very knowledgable about the city. It was my first time to Portland and they were able to direct me to various locations for entertainment and meals. The location is amazing. It seems to be right in the middle of downtown which is a huge plus! I rode the Max Rail system for most of the trip which is located very close to the hotel. The rooms were very nice and clean. The hotel was also very quiet. I would most definitely stay at the Paramount again and I can't wait to do so.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for the great review Evelyn S! Come back and see us again soon.