“Perfect location”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is the second time we stayed at the Paramount Hotel in downtown Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday. It is the perfect location for shopping, short outings with the little one, walking around, and taking part of the city holiday festivities like T-day Macy's parade, and tree lighting in Pioneer square. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. Last year, I forgot some clothes in a drawer, I called to inquire and they still had them and were nice enought to ship them to me. The hotel offer valet parking but there is plenty of street parking around the hotel. One just has to keep in mind the new city rules for parking off the street.
All in all, it has consistenly a good experience staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thanks for the great review trouthousenogo, come back and see us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very nice property that straddles the fine line between "big" and "boutique". Our preference is for big and brand new, and this place is not quite either. That said, the property is quite nice (clearly not brand new but in no way worn), the rooms are a nice size and nicely appointed, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the location is...well...almost perfect.

Really, there is absolutely nothing that can be said negatively about this hotel - I just don't believe it is quite a 4.5 as rated here. It is very much a solid 4 however, and a great value as well. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thanks for the review gogobeartravel – We appreciate your recommendation!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Paramount over the past Thanksgiving weekend (3 nights). This was our first stay in downtown Portland.

We chose the Paramount after reading other reviews and learning that they had a pretty good deal going on for the weekend. Through another booking service, we landed a king room on the 12th floor.

Our room was clean and removed from street noise. We had and excellent view to the north. The bed was soft and very comfortable. All the usual amenities were in the room: small fridge, coffee maker, etc., but no microwave.

The room was surprisingly large for an older building. It felt airy and open.

So, why the 4-star rating? For starters, the lobby was a let-down. It felt sterile and unwelcoming. We felt no inclination to lounge there. It was too bright and the seating wasn't comfortable. It was simply a large room to move through on the way to the elevators in back.

Second, while the room was large and clean, it wasn't what I would call luxurious. The bath was functional but I had recently stayed in another, sub-$100 hotel in Spokane which was much more luxurious. It probably spoiled me.

Third, the below-window HVAC unit was pretty noisy as it kicked on and off all evening.

Finally, the parking fee was a rip-off---the highest I've ever been quoted. Over our three-day stay, we saved about $70 by doing the following: After 7:00 p.m. street parking is free. Park your car on the street on the west side of the hotel (SW 9th AVE). Then, sometime before 8:00 a.m. the next morning, move your car to the parking garage on Taylor St., between Broadway and SW 6th. That costs about $9 for all day (less on weekends). Then, in the evening, move the car back to 9th AVE. Repeat as necessary.

This is a perfectly nice hotel and I would stay here again, assuming another deal on pricing. The excellent location alone makes it a winner.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid street noise. If I remember correctly, the hotel has about 14 floors.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for your review Bill B!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were initially steered to this hotel by a group discount. We were surprised to see that many of the extra charges that we have come to expect weren't there - free wifi and overnight parking available next door if we didn't want to pay the hotel's overnight rate. The room was roomy, comfortable and clean. On our 2nd stay, some street noise from garbage trucks invaded our room at 4 am - so I would recommend asking for a room on a high floor.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Ballgrl thank you for your review, it’s appreciated!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We planned our annual Thanksgiving trip to Portland this year. We chose the Paramount for its close proximity to many downtown attractions. Upon arrival we were welcomed and found our room to be nicely appointed. All would have been fine had it not been for the lack of cleaning crew on the day after our first night. We were out catching black friday sales from 9:30 until 3:30 and came back to find our room hadn't been cleaned yet. When I called the front desk, I was told that they usually clean 'check-out' rooms first, and don't get to 'stay over' rooms until later in the day. She said "I will check if I can get someone to get to your room." No one ever did. I never realized how much I appreciate fresh towels, my beds made and clean glasses. We checked out early the following morning. I wasn't asked how my stay was, so I offered my displeasure with the lack of service, specifically in cleaning my room. The reception attendant told me she would relay this to the housekeeping manager. No apologies. I will not be returning. No apologies.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

lorlo5, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned or any amount of customer service offered when you checked out. Please contact me directly so I may apologize in person and assure you that we do want you to stay with us again.

Norm Hwa
nhwa@portlandparamount.com
503.276-1764

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Excellent location within walking distance of all downtown attractions and neighbourhoods - don't miss the farmer's market on the University Campus on Saturday! The hotel staff were extremely friendly, the room was very clean, the bed very comfortable, and the happy hour discount at the bar a welcome end to a long day of travel. I especially appreciated the loaner umbrella given the stereotypical Portland rain. The gym is small but sufficient with free weights, an elliptical, and a few treadmills. A bit more floor space and a decent mat for stretching would be nice. I didn't have any noise concerns - some street sounds are inevitable when you're downtown but I didn't find them loud enough to be disturbing. I didn't try the restaurant at the hotel, but do recommend the Flying Elephant in the square for a quick bite.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for the wonderful review JesseOntheGo!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We loved our stay this summer in the Paramount Hotel! It is right downtown, so we could walk to everything. We were there for four days, and each day had an adventure before returning to our room. The beds were comfortable and the decor was modern. Our room was spacious with nice seating other than the desk chair and bed. I appreciated all of the bathroom amenities, and the thick towels. We had a great view of the street below, and spent a lot of time sipping wine or tea sitting in our room looking out. There was free wi-fi, large flat screen, and the service was excellent! We had a rental car and felt lucky that our room rate included valet parking. I really think this was a fantastic hotel at a reasonable price! Oh, and downstairs there is a wonderful little lounge where the Happy Hour appetizers are tasty and interesting! We will for sure return here.

I hope this review was helpful. If so, please "click" and let me know! Thanks, and happy travels!
parking central downtown area

Room Tip: We asked for a room facing the street so that we could look down on all of the comings and goings of...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jodie D
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Jodie D, thank you for your helpful review! Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.