Paramount Hotel
$343
$327
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
$184
$178
Travelocity
1,296 results
All reviewsdirector parkdirector's parkgreat locationwhiskey barjetted tubthe portland art museumcorner roomwithin walking distancevalet parkingpioneer squarelight railfarmers marketmovie theatertwo blocksthe hotel staffdowntown locationthe pearl
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Booked this hotel sight unseen. I was very satisfied with my choice. It had a high-end hotel feel, with exceptional service from the doormen/valets to the bellhop to the desk clerks. The rooms were nicely appointed and very comfortable. Though every room on my floor seemed to be occupied, I could not tell because it was so quiet, meaning the rooms are well insulated from noise.

Never having been to Portland before, I picked a place that was near to everything I needed. Close to good restaurants/food choices, freeways, shopping, and public transportation. If anything, they could use more channels on the television, and charge less for parking, which is $29 per day.

I did not use any of the facilities offered by the hotel, such as the gym, and can not rate them.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

All good things must come to an end, glad we were able to make it end on a high note at least!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I had friends visiting Portland from California, and we suggested that we all stay at the Paramount due to its proximity to the lightrail (as they were coming into downtown from the airport) as well as to other attractions (e.g. the Portland Art Museum, the Oregon Historical Society, the Arlene Schnitzer concert hall, Nordstrom's, Macy's, and several fine restaurants are all within easy walking distance). Everyone was happy with their room, and our friends, new visitors to Portland, especially appreciated the central location that made sightseeing easy. My husband and I stayed in one of the balcony rooms on the 5th floor facing the plaza. The "Romeo and Juliet" balcony is cozy yet still big enough to sit out on it with a chair or two. We enjoyed the view and fresh air, and watching the people in the plaza drink their coffee and the children play in the fountain. Our king bed was very, very comfortable, and we liked the artistic photographs of Portland on the walls. The small fridge was handy for storing our restaurant leftovers. The room and bathroom were overall roomy and quite clean, and my only complaint is that I realized while taking my shower in the morning that the tile grout needed more scrubbing. The lobby was comfortable and pleasant to socialize in while waiting for our entire group to assemble, and the front desk service was superb -- friendly, warm, accommodating, and helpful. Our friends were all very happy that they had decided to stay at the Paramount instead of the Governor despite its bigger name because the setting is more charming and picturesque in its proximity to the south park blocks.

By the way, we highly recommend Southpark (a block from the hotel) and Higgins (4 blocks from the hotel) as wonderful restaurants for lunch or dinner, and the Heathman (2 blocks away) as a good place for breakfast. There is also a Starbucks on the corner from the hotel, although an even better place to grab your morning latte and a croissant is the cafe at the Portland Art Museum just down the street.

Room Tip: We're not light sleepers so the 5th floor with the balcony was fine for us, but if street noise might bother you, ask for a room on a higher floor that faces west (the quieter side street). Be aware that the "park" view is not of the green park space (which is behind the hotel) but of the concrete plaza in front of the hotel with a fountain that is pleasant to look at but not a park with grass and trees. Also, the corner suites have large jetted tubs!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the review and local suggestions RoseCityfriend! Also for noting the photography in the rooms and corridors highlighting the city’s bridges, these have been a recent addition to the hotel so it’s great to hear guests are enjoying them.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We love staying at the Paramount in downtown Portland. The location is great, right in the heart of the city center. Its close to both the Max lines and the streetcar so it makes it easy to get around. Between this transportation and walking both the Pearl and the waterfront on within easy distance. We even took the Max to the zoo! They have free Wi-Fi that worked. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly. We were lucky and had a corner room on the top floor so our city view was pretty nice! It is a pricier place so it won't be for everyone but we like to treat ourselves once and a while, especially for the location. We park at the Fox Towers which is really close and less expensive than the hotels parking.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine S
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review Elaine S!

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Hotel is mid-sized with ~12 rooms on each floor. Fitness center is the size of a conference room and is the basement, so no view for your workout. The hotel itself is clean and well kept, if decorated a little "generic". Service was very good. I came back to the room with a bag of groceries to find the refrigerator didn't work. Within 10 mins of calling the front desk, someone came, moved the bureau and plugged it in. Worked fine after that. Staff also tried to be helpful with my disappoint in the room not being as advertised.

This is a wonderful property but the room description on the website is misleading. They advertise "Park View" rooms that actually look out onto a concrete plaza. It's deceptive if, like me, you look at an online map when checking out the location, because it looks like the hotel has the concrete plaza one one side and the park on the other. In reality, the hotel occupies only the half of the block that faces the concrete plaza - no room actually faces the park. So I arrive expecting a view of the park, instead my only window is two doors facing the busy plaza. Don't get me wrong, the plaza is lovely, but it's a plaza - not a park. It's like staying in a fishbowl where you have no privacy, having 200 people right outside your living room window - not the image of peace and beauty a park implies. The front desk staff tried to be helpful, but admitted they need to change the description on the website, as I wasn't the first guest upset by this. I understand trying to describe your property in attractive terms, but this is deception.

Oh and the "Romeo & Juliet" balcony? That means a tiny balcony that wouldn't really fit a chair, that you and one other person can stand on and look at the concrete plaza (or on the sides of the building, a car park or an office building).

There are many other choices in Portland, so while the property is fine, I will be taking my business to a property that doesn't stoop to deception in their advertising. Shame on the Paramount management for not changing the room description after complaints,

Room Tip: Don't be duped by the "park-view" description of some rooms with balconies. Even the rooms with patios are on the second floor, looking directly onto busy streets.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John K
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Kenyonsf, I apologize if you were confused by our website. We do offer ‘Park View’ rooms overlooking Director Park, which is the name of the park on the front of the hotel. We agree that it is probably more of a Plaza than a park, but we go with what the city of Portland named it. Our photos on our website clearly show Director Park on the front of the hotel. We also have Director Park links available on our website for guests who want more information about the park.
As for the balcony rooms, we took care to describe the balcony as a ‘Juliet’ balcony (it’s actually larger than a true Juliet Balcony) so guests would know that it is a step out balcony, not large enough to entertain on. We have those available if you are looking for more space. We welcome guests to call or e-mail us if they have any questions about rooms or views.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had a wonderful 3 night stay here. First of all, I find that the Coastal Hotel chain has great facilities - I've stay at them in Vancouver BC, Seattle and now Portland. Not cookie-cutter hotels. The Portland Paramount is well located in the heart of the business/government center part of downtown, but still only 10 minute walk to Powell's Bookstore and the Pearl district, shorter to the waterfront, and 3-4 blocks from Max light-rail to Union Station (for Amtrak) or PDX airport. My room - kingsize bed, corner unit, had decent view over the adjacent park-plaza across the street. Quiet (occassional footsteps from the unit upstairs); jetted tub AND large shower in bathroom. Large flat-screen TV with 30+ channels (though no premium movie channel; they do have pay-per-view as though anyone actually uses it); USA Today each weekday morning; very good wi-fi (no extra charge). Very friendly and helpful front desk staff and doorpersons (OK, doormen in this case) . And amazing prices (AAA discount helps even more) compared to other hotels in the area. Room well maintained and comfortable mattress. Plus nice desk and chair with ottoman.
(Note: if you have a car, the nightly fee is $29!!!! Probably much better deals at nearby lots. There's also little reason to have a car in Portland given the good mass transit system and the walkability of downtown.)

Breakfast in the hotel's Asian-inspired restaurant was fine - french toast with fresh strawberries - typical hotel price - and much less expensive than the same room-service menu. Never understood why the same menu should have higher prices on the room-service menu PLUS a 20% delivery fee and 18% tip added to it.

Would definitiely stay here again when I need to be in the heard of downtown Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank CK2009
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

CK2009, we appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review! Hopefully your travels will bring you back to Portland and The Paramount again soon.