“Decent room at a decent price.”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 22, 2012

When I visit Portland which is around three or four times a year, I usually stay at the Westin. At the behest of a fellow traveller, we booked the Paramount. I was a bit leery - what, no Heavenly bed?!? - but it was actually quite a pleasant surprise. The room was quite spacious and even on the 4th floor, it was very quiet. The restaurant was undergoing a refurbishment so no dinner there but it'll be an Asian fusion I think, when it opens, and that sounds promising. Decor is good in the hotel and it seems quite fresh and contemporary. The location is perfect. The Trimet train to the airport is just two blocks away and you are walking distance from everything. As for that bed, well Heavenly it ain't, but it wasn't bad either. And at under $125 for the night, it was a decent price.

• Stayed: February 2012
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Thanks for the review Clyststmary and for giving us a try! Hope to have you back with us a couple more times this year.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Very nice classy hotel, bed and pillows comfortable, bathroom good accommodations. Only downside is need to take lots of cash for tipping--bell man twice because room wasn't ready on arrivial. Tip for valet parking each in and out. Recommend finding your own parking with in and out service

Room Tip: Corner room very nice, on 4th floor, no problems with noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

BendTraveler7 thank you for the review!

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Paramount downtown portland. We paid $124.00 dollars for a double bed room. Not a bad price, but dont forget to add the valet parking at $29 dollars. The room was very clean and very nicely updated. They did not have many bath items though such as shower cap or lotion so I was a little disappointed, and the TV while it was a good size did not have channels past 59. The TV was kind of a let down. The bed was the best part. It was so comfortable! I think this room would be nice for business or traveling families but not couples seeking a more intimate setting. The location is perfect for sight seeing and museum exploration.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Ely W – Thank you for your review. I appreciate you staying with us and your kind words about The Paramount. We do provide bottled lotion in the rooms (maybe we missed yours?) and have shower caps available at the front desk upon request. We were throwing away so many unused shower caps that it just seemed wasteful to continue to provide them in all our rooms. You are right that our T.V. channels only go to number 59. We do have 48 channels in there of high quality entertainment and 3 channels of low quality Public Access. Sometimes entertaining, depending on your mood. Safe travels.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

The Paramount is without any doubt a hotel that I'd seriously recommend for visitors in Portland. It has the perfect location in the heart of the city, overlooking one of Portland's most welcoming squares. Rooms are all that you can ask for, and so are the other facilities and services this hotel offers.

As for the staff members, they were extremely helpful and charming during our stay, and even afterwards. We were expecting a package which unfortunately arrived after our departure. The staff was very cooperative and helpful in helping us retrieve our package after all, and for that they deserve our appreciation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TomerC
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

And we would love to have you back TomerC!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was looking forward to staying someplace totally central in downtown Portland to the waterfront and Pioneer Square, as we planned on celebrating our anniversary and enjoying dinner at McCormick and Schmick's Harborside. After a delicious meal, we were looking forward to heading up to our (very small) room and curling up in bed.

Lo and behold, as I crawled into bed my foot brushed up onto something unrecognizable... a used sock! (That was definitely not mine or my husband's). I was totally grossed out and wondered whether or not the sheets were even changed at all since the last guest, because it seems to me that someone would know when they were laying the sheets down if there was a random sock sitting there.

That "discovery" soured my experience because everything at that point was just "meh." Parking is outrageously expensive which left a pit in my stomach, and nothing about this hotel stood out as being remarkable compared to other similarly-rated hotels in the area.

I have nothing against the Paramount Hotel-- it has potential to be a great hotel in a great location; I just felt like it was very corporate and didn't have the same touch as other boutique hotels in the area. Plus, I don't like the idea that I might have been sleeping on someone else's sheets...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mlove17
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Mlove17, first and foremost I apologize for the cleanliness of your room there is no excuse for it. This is the first we have heard of it and regret we were not informed of the this while you were still our guest. We could have easily and efficiently resolved this then. We do agree that valet parking rates are expensive in downtown Portland. However, our valet rates are one of the lowest for Portland hotels. We do have a great package available through our website where you can valet for $1 extra. That is a good deal. There are also many less expensive options close to the hotel where you are able to self-park and save a couple of bucks. Please contact me, Norm, directly at 503-276-1764 if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

It was first time for me visiting Portland, and staying at Paramount Hotel made it even easier for me to walk around Downtown Portland, really a great location...I stayed on the 9th floor and the view was great...The staff was more than helpful ....next time I know were to stay in Potland..

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Albana B
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Albana B., they say you never forget your first time. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed January 29, 2012

The last time I stayed here, Trip Advisor didn't exist. I used to stay at the Paramount constantly when it first opened around 2000/2001 as I traveled to Portland on business 2-3 times a month and the Paramount became both my favorite and my go-to hotel at that time.

The urban park in front of the hotel at that time was a surface parking lot, the movie theater wasn't even conceived, there was no restaurant in the hotel lobby, and the hotel even served a complimentary continental breakfast back in those days. Time and a job change took me away from coming regularly to one of my absolute favorite cities in the U.S.

A recent business trip took me to downtown Portland and I was eager to see what had changed or was the same from my many previous stays. I'm thrilled to say the Paramount was every bit as wonderful as I remembered.

Rates were very affordable mid-week in January - low season, so I booked an executive king room on a high floor (16 or so total floors here) complete with jacuzzi tub and walk-in shower.

The room was just as nice I had remembered - comfortable, luxurious even, but with upgraded decor and amenities as other reviewers had noted. And despite being pretty busy, the room was quiet and relaxing - just as I had remembered as well. Jacuzzi bath was a treat, shower really good, incredibly comfortable bed, sheets and pillows.

Really the only noise was from outside - being in the middle of a downtown it's to be expected and the windows in the room aren't that soundproof, even 12 floors up. Nothing major, but earplugs are a good idea if you are light sleeper and easily get woken by things like the backup beeper on trash trucks, etc. The higher the floor, the less the outside noise so be sure to get a room up high if you can.

I didn't try Dragonfish, the restaurant in the lobby, but there are so many great choices to eat within easy walk, light rail or street car, that you'll have no trouble finding good eats.

Only one block to the light rail or Portland street car. If you don't need a car in Portland, then just take MAX (light rail) from the airport to the Pioneer Square North stop, and it's a short couple of blocks walk to the hotel.

Overall, great stay, highly recommended and a place I'll be sure not to let another decade past before I stay again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor to reduce ambient noise from outside. Views good from all sides.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

hotelreviewer333 (great handle for tripadvisor) Thank you for your comments! Yes, our neighborhood has changed so much over the last 12 years, all for the better. I appreciate your mention of the Max lightrail. Many visitors to Portland do not realize how nice and convenient our train system is. Plus, they are free in the downtown area. We hope to see you again soon.