“Still Great Over a Decade Later - Top Choice for Portland”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Beaverton, Oregon
“Still Great Over a Decade Later - Top Choice for Portland”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The last time I stayed here, Trip Advisor didn't exist. I used to stay at the Paramount constantly when it first opened around 2000/2001 as I traveled to Portland on business 2-3 times a month and the Paramount became both my favorite and my go-to hotel at that time.

The urban park in front of the hotel at that time was a surface parking lot, the movie theater wasn't even conceived, there was no restaurant in the hotel lobby, and the hotel even served a complimentary continental breakfast back in those days. Time and a job change took me away from coming regularly to one of my absolute favorite cities in the U.S.

A recent business trip took me to downtown Portland and I was eager to see what had changed or was the same from my many previous stays. I'm thrilled to say the Paramount was every bit as wonderful as I remembered.

Rates were very affordable mid-week in January - low season, so I booked an executive king room on a high floor (16 or so total floors here) complete with jacuzzi tub and walk-in shower.

The room was just as nice I had remembered - comfortable, luxurious even, but with upgraded decor and amenities as other reviewers had noted. And despite being pretty busy, the room was quiet and relaxing - just as I had remembered as well. Jacuzzi bath was a treat, shower really good, incredibly comfortable bed, sheets and pillows.

Really the only noise was from outside - being in the middle of a downtown it's to be expected and the windows in the room aren't that soundproof, even 12 floors up. Nothing major, but earplugs are a good idea if you are light sleeper and easily get woken by things like the backup beeper on trash trucks, etc. The higher the floor, the less the outside noise so be sure to get a room up high if you can.

I didn't try Dragonfish, the restaurant in the lobby, but there are so many great choices to eat within easy walk, light rail or street car, that you'll have no trouble finding good eats.

Only one block to the light rail or Portland street car. If you don't need a car in Portland, then just take MAX (light rail) from the airport to the Pioneer Square North stop, and it's a short couple of blocks walk to the hotel.

Overall, great stay, highly recommended and a place I'll be sure not to let another decade past before I stay again!

Room Tip: Get a high floor to reduce ambient noise from outside. Views good from all sides.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
hotelreviewer333 (great handle for tripadvisor) Thank you for your comments! Yes, our neighborhood has changed so much over the last 12 years, all for the better. I appreciate your mention of the Max lightrail. Many visitors to Portland do not realize how nice and convenient our train system is. Plus, they are free in the downtown area. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scappoose, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights after our wedding in early January of 2012 before we flew out to Cabo. The Paramount has it down, service, room quality, cleanliness. My husband and I have not quit talking about many elements of our stay that they did right.

We checked in on a Friday night around 10pm. Our bell hop was very helpful (I usually try to avoid these people, but our guy was great!) The front desk check in guy was efficient but a little dorky/quirky. They had upgraded our room for free because of the occasion. KUDOS to them, we really enjoyed our jacuzzi tub!

We will defiantly be returning for anniversaries and will recommend this place to our friends. They did a great job at being there if we needed them to but not interfering when we didn't want them.

The Paramount knows how to run a great luxury hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your review Mrs. K, we look forward to being part of many anniversaries to come!
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stay here every time I come to Portland. One of my nationwide favorites. Everything is first-rate. Restaurant is super and accommodating; we needed to change it to a small business conference and they worked with us quickly and precisely. The hotel staff itself are all more than helpful. I have nothing bad to say about this place. I stay here probably 6-7 times a y ear.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Thank you so much Blair C for the very kind review! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We booked a room with a king size bed, and they gave us a corner room on the 14th floor that had a fabulous view. Many of the nicer hotels in Portland do not have as many floors, so you don't get the great view. Our room was large and very nice. The best part was the staff; the young woman who helped us during check in was so pleasant and helpful and the bell hop was fantastic. He showed us everything about the room when he brought our luggage up, and twice went back to the car for us when we accidentally left things on the back seat. He also arranged taxi cabs for us when we needed them. The hotel itself is beautiful, and has a great location. We will definitely stay at the Paramount again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for the review Judi F. I will be sure to share it with the staff!
seattle
Reviewed January 20, 2012

this reasonably priced hotel is very comfortable and feels upscale without too much snobbery. :)
really nice corner room... comfy bed and good location for restaurants and art museuming. Also very helpful when i left somethings in the room, excellent customer service.

Room Tip: corner room was nice view in two directions... 8th floor was high enough for city overview and view...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank hilaryseattle
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thanks so much for the review hilaryseattle. See you next time!
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights for the wedding of my daughter. The staff was excellent, taking care of my every need. The room was great. Top floor, corner room, beautiful view of Portland. Comfy bed too! I will definately stay here again. Very conveniently located to many great places to eat and shop.

Room Tip: ask for the top floor--- great view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review Holly1956 and congratulations to your daughter on her recent nuptials!
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Very Comfy crisp sheets, feather bed on a firm mattress, great large down filled pillows. Nice eclectic group of guests. all ages/world travelers. Great location, just a block over from the Portland Saturday Market, that had healthy local fare, nice hot breakfasts and great lunch food.
The hotel is just a block of two from the Portland Art Museum, and all major department stores, (Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Macy's) Also just a five minute walk to the Pearl District.
Great close by reasonable Asian restaurants. The Paramount is a very easy, enjoyable place to stay. Parking is expensive though...$30 bucks a day. Consider not taking a car.

Room Tip: The corner room executive suite was nice, and large.
1 Thank gfran2
gfran2, thanks for taking the time to review the hotel! It sounds like you had a good visit to Portland and took advantage of our location and maybe even some tax free shopping. Come back and stay with us again soon.