“Excellent bang for your buck: great location, great service, comfortable and clean stay”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We just got back from four nights at the Paramount. Booking through Travel Portland we got complimentary valet parking (normally $29/night) and a $14 breakfast voucher each morning (breakfast was okay, not anything special...we only redeemed it once).

The hotel is in great condition; rooms have been recently renovated and are extremely clean. Linens are smooth and soft, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Plenty of pillows were provided for us weary travelers. We reserved an executive corner room with a walk-in shower and jacuzzi tub, which was quite relaxing on tired muscles. The room is equipped with standard amenities (iron, fridge, hair dryer) and free wifi. The room was also quite large.

The downside: several other reviewers have pointed out that noise level from the street can be loud at times. We requested a quiet room and received one on the tenth floor; this did diminish the noise level some, but city noise is city noise. I was woken up two nights in a row by garbage trucks who seemed to stay perpetually in reverse (beep, beep!), but troubleshooting this by leaving the air fan on helped. Also, we had difficulty titrating the heat to keep the room at a comfortable level; the room seemed to swing from hot to cold fairly fast. Adding or removing blankets helped with this problem, but it did require a bit more effort on our behalf than we're used to at home. This was really more of a minor annoyance than anything else.

The hotel is in a great location near lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, shopping, a movie theater, and in easy walking distance to Powell's. It's also located close to public transport. Also, if you're tired and don't feel like sitting down to dinner, check out the Flying Elephant--they have a great selection of take-out foods.

We were very pleased with our stay here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Thank you for the review and the great photos! I apologize for the garbage truck noise; Portland is a very quiet city through the night so any noises such as garbage trucks seem to be magnified in caparison. If you have a moment can you please email me directly at tchandler@portlandparamount.com with the room number you stayed in, I would like for our engineering staff to take a look at the heating/cooling unit and make any adjustment to rectify the fluctuation of temperatures. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed a week at the Paramount Hotel in Portland, OR while training at The Nia Technique. The Paramount has great amenities and is in a perfect downtown location just a few blocks from the university and the Saturday Farmer's Market. I don't generally swim, so I didn't miss having a pool, but a whirlpool would have been really nice. Everyone we encountered from the front desk staff to Concierge to Housekeeping were very nice and extremely helpful. Just steps away from the Flying Elephant Deli which has excellent fresh, local, often organic soups, salads and sandwiches. I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

kmcnutt1148, thank you for your review, I will be sure to share it with the all of the staff! Hopefully you were able to try the Mama Leone soup at the Deli, it’s my favorite. See you next time!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This downtown hotel is a great hotel. Bellman was there to open the door when I arrived, I found the check-in speedy, and the room was relaxing to the eyes. By the way it's nice to see upgraded bathroom amenities of Gilcrest & Sommes. I just do not like Coast hotels generic bland cheap amenities, and is one of the reasons why I stay away from Coast. Overall the staff was very professional and polite; I even had two housekeepers to say "good morning", and had a short conversation with another. I felt very at home. This was the first time that I stayed at this hotel, and I will be back. One of the, if not "THE" best 3 diamond hotel in Portland The hotel is a block or two from the LRT's Airport line.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for the review and for noticing our upgraded bathroom amenities, Gilchrist & Sommes! It’s great to hear we are achieving our goal to make our guests feel ‘at home’. Look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very nice rooms. Very helpful staff. Location is great. One can get to most places by foot. Shopping restaurants even a movie theatre are within a blocks. Parking one block away.

Room Tip: Higher up the better the view.
1  Thank rb44chinook

Thank you for the review rb44chinook! The movie theatre across from the hotel is the Regal Fox Tower 10, they show mostly foreign films, documentaries and independent features which compliments our boutique hotel very well.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

The Paramount Hotel is an excellent hotel. From the moment you arrive till the moment you leave, I found their service to be excellent. They quickly got you to your room, luggage brought up and placed on the luggage stands.

I had a room on the 3rd floor with a small balcony looking to the wonderful outside area. I immediately noticed that this is a great place to stay for those who love movies and shopping. Nordstroms is a couple of minutes away; movies are directly across the street. I settled in and decided to take in a movie across the street. I returned around 9:00 p.m. and debated upon having room service or ? I then noticed they have a happy hour special starting at 9:00 in the bar area. I had a delightful late night dinner of 2 cold sakis (very good); miso soup; and 2 sushi rolls for $14.00.

The rooms are very nicely appointed and comfortable. Great places to sit. Their bed pillows are large and fluffy making for a good night's sleep. Location was quiet.

I had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning. They deliver newspapers in the morning to your room so took my paper and had a good breakfast there. Coffee is very good.

While I usually travel with others, this is a delightful stay for solo travelers;, a romantic stay for couples; and also a good place for business travelers. I enjoyed walking in the area around the hotel - many stores and shops within a few minutes of the hotel.

When I stay in Portland in the future, I would not hesitate to stay here again. It is a delightful and wonderful hotel.

For those staying at the hotel, they do have valet parking service. On this trip I spent $29.00 for parking the car for the night. Valet service was very good; they were also helpful with giving directions.

This is a wonderful hotel; thanks to the hotel management and staff for good service as well.

Room Tip: Check to see if they have late night happy hour while there - good food and drinks for reasonable pr...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mini
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank you so much for the five star review Mini! It’s very informative and offers great insights from a guest’s point of view, not to mention, well written. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in the Paramount after seeing which hotels would be a quick walk to/from the Max Redline train to/from the airport. We were visiting family in the area but would arrive and leave while family members were working. The Paramount is a quick 2-block walk from the closest arrival from the airport and 1 block to the closest pick-up going to the airport. We were very happy with our stay in this hotel. Our room was clean and quiet, with a very comfortable bed (and we are fairly particular on these factors). Clerks at reception were very courteous. We walked all over downtown and over to Powell's books. The Paramount is a great base, and we will definitely stay there again. The only reason that I graded the hotel down from 5 stars to 4 stars has to do with their restaurant in the lobby, the Dragonfish Asian Cafe. We tried to have breakfast there the first morning - we had to wait to be acknowledged, half of the tables were not cleared of dishes, and once one of only two visible employees had cleared the dishes from one table she just looked at us but didn't actually seat us. She brought menus and then seemed to forget about us, without even an offer of coffee, for several minutes. Neither the menu nor the plates that passed us impressed us as deserving the wait. My husband and I decided to cut our losses and leave. We had breakfast at Starbucks across the street. The Dragonfish is an "Asian fusion" restaurant but offers an American breakfast. Another problem with the restaurant (and perhaps they were just short-staffed for some reason that weekend) was that they left a tray of food and dirty dishes on the floor a few doors down from us. After 24 hours of passing this tray, I finally reported it to the reception desk. I was told that this was the restaurant's job and that the reception clerk would report it to the restaurant. (The tray was gone a couple of hours later.) I hope that a new restaurant has the lobby lease the next time we go to Portland. We will stay at the Paramount even if the Dragonfish is still there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Upandaway99, I’m sorry to hear and apologize for your experiences with Dragonfish. I am happy to report, however, there are some upcoming changes and improvements in the works for the restaurant. Thanks for making us your home base while visiting your family!

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Excellent location, easy connection to airport via MAX train. Front desk service was wonderful. We arrived at 10 am on the day of check in and were planning to ask if they could store our bags until a room was ready. Instead, they immediately offered to give us a room and checked us in on the spot! No fighting, no pleading. We even got an upgraded room. So easy! Rooms were quiet and comfortable. My only complaint is the grout work in the bathroom...it could really use some cleaning. Otherwise, our stay was lovely and we would definitely stay at this hotel again. (Tip: eat at Violetta's in front of the hotel...wonderful grass-fed beef burgers and salads!)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Anesthesia2011, thank you for the review and tip! You should try Violetta’s white truffle french fries next time you stay with us, they are my favorite / weakness.