“Nice Hotel, Not to close to Downtown”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #45 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Hotel, Not to close to Downtown”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I've stayed here a couple of times. The hotel is very nice and clean. Their toiletries are really nice and smell good.

The rooms have a coffee machine, microwave, and fridge which is great. The TV is good and there is a DVD player in the room.

I don't really have any complaints about this hotel except for it's not really downtown, but it's close. The stop for the MAX is near by also or it's also a cheap cab ride. If you bring a car they do charge for parking. It's about the average cost to park at a hotel downtown.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland downtown and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.
Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Astoria, Oregon
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I found your hotel to be lovely, quick efficient service in our time of need. Love the pool and hot tub. The front desk staff and shuttle drivers were more than accomadating, they were a blessing. My husband had to have surgery and they arranged the shuttles for us on several different occassions. This was a godsend ,as we are older and get lost in the city. We had tried to find the hospital ourselves but then realized it would be too stressful. The staff arrranged to take us and bring us back. The pool was wonderful to relax in for my husband,as he was very anxious the evening before.
The staff was proffessional, polite, effiecient. Being a front desk agent my self, I appreciated the AAAAAA service. You are all to be commended for a job well done!

Kathleen Fitzpatrick

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you mentioning that the staff was friendly and helpful; I will let them know they were recognized.
Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 30, 2011

All good until at check out they told me there was a $12/night parking fee and pulled out the invoice for it!!! On a Saturday night downtown Portland when we could barely find an available spot in a paid parking lot, we paid $5 for the night !!! How is it possible that they wuold charge you $12/ night at the hotel, where it's meant to be included in the price or at least notify you up front of the charge. Instead they even make you go back to your car to put a sticker on your dashboard and you are diligently doing that instead of them just taking the license plate of your car like in every other hotel. So, I pay $12/night for parking and they would make me go back to my car just to put their silly sticker, not something i want to be doing after a long day of driving. There is nothing that is more frustrating to me as a gues than hidden fees like that!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank mmmmm5016
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. I understand and acknowledge that our parking is not free. Parking in our area is at a premium and our prices are actually slightly lower than other nearby hotels or the metered street parking. In addition we provide valet service and an attendant for your service and security. I apologize that you did not see the signage it is clearly posted on the valet stand as you enter the driveway. Our fees and transportation options are on our website for our guest’s convenience.
I always encourage our guests to utilize our free shuttle to and from the airport thus avoiding having to pay for parking, or park once at our hotel to avoid paying at other locations. Portland has a fantastic transit system and it is even free. We also have bicycles which are free, convenient and fun.
nh
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Great spot for singles as well as families. I've stayed here 3X, alone, with my husband and with my granchildren. All times the staff is accommodating, the food is wonderful with local and fresh produce and the pool is fantastic for the children. We have 2 other trips planned in coming months and will be staying here again. We visit Portland 4-5 times per year and have stayed at vasrious hotels but this now will be our hotel in Portland. If I could recommend any change is that they upgrade the amenities for the Executive level floors and those of us who frequent this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pcdc
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and have returned three times. I shared your suggestions with the staff and we will consider enhancement to our amenities.
We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Portland please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Check in and check out service was very friendly and quick. The service was excellent from all employees at the hotel. The hotel and room we stayed in were very clean, comfortable, and beautiful. My 8 year old son really liked the indoor pool and spa. We even got a free shuttle from the hotel to the rose garden arena to watch a Trailblazer basketball game. I would recommend this hotel to anybody staying in the Portland area, and will definately stay there again next time I'm in the area. It's definately the best hotel in the area!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TroyW
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and related services. Being considered the best hotel in the area is important to us and we look forward to seeing you in 2011. Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza and overall had a good stay.

The hotel has a complementary shuttle within 5miles of the hotel, however this is subject to the hotel's discretion.  Specifically we asked if we could have a ride to the zoo which is within 5 miles, and were told it would not be possible as the route that is within those 5 miles would create a problem for the driver on the return.  As well, there are trips to and from the airport which sometimes leave at a set schedule and sometimes do not.  In our case, we asked if we could have a ride at 11:40, but were advised that the next shuttle would run at 12:45, ratifying that the driver would not be able to take us, and be back on time for the 12:45.  Nonetheless, we did make use of the shuttle to be picked up from the airport, and on one trip downtown.  Both of these worked well, and we were driven by Randee, who occasionally drives as he is also the concierge.  He shared his knowledge about the Portland area and made for great conversation.  His customer service is excellent.

Aside form the shuttle, the hotel is well serviced with public transportation.  The walk to the nearest lightrail is about a 5 minute brisk walk and runs fairly often.  There, you are about 10-15 min to downtown, and within the center, it is free to ride.

The service at the front desk is simple.  Don't raise your expectations and you will be fine.

The service at the restaurant and room service is excellent.  The food was fresh and well prepared.

The Internet is complementary, and works well for standard usage.  However, if you need a strong connection it may not work for you.  (Based on a week signal) Not sure if the front desk has any alternatives.

Aside from that, the hotel is clean and serves it's purpose well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dune2Snow
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate you identifying our staff member Randee who you found exceptionally pleasant and helpful. I will be sure to recognize him as he is a true professional who takes great pride in his service. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the shuttle and I apologize that it was not immediately available. We try to prioritize airport runs because it offers our guests the greatest value, at times this limits our immediate availability. In regard to the internet service is our free business center is always an option. I also encourage our guests to use utilize our 24 hour support if they are experiencing difficulty. Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2011

3 of my girlfriends and I decided to go on a last minute roadtrip to Portland. We booked through Hotwire and got the Crowne Plaza for $59 + fees and charges per night. This was a steal as it worked out to $35 per person for both nights! Staff was friendly, quick, and efficient. Checked us in quickly. Hotel was clean and quiet. Room had microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. No safe though.
Great location--Right off the I5 and close to shopping malls (Lloyd Center and Pioner Place), Walmart, Target, and downtown restaurants. No free parking, but it was reasonable at $12/night. Overall, great value and would DEFINITELY stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank melissay-21
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland Downtownand we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.