and 1 more site!
GreenLeadersGold level
PENFIELD
“MY VISIT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My visit was just overnight and I had an early flight so I didn't have time to explore the city. My room was nice, clean and plenty of room to spread out in. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Having a shuttle to the airport was really nice. It's always nice having a shuttle driver who you can communicate with and that adds that personal touch.

Room Tip: Being on the 6th floor provided a really nice view of the city.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank STEVE P
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and appreciated our friendly service my staff and I aspire to deliver consistently. I hope you tell many friends and return often.
Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fleming Island, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked this hotel via Priceline. It looked like a better property than the Marriott which is close by. The rooms are nice and large. Pretty much up to date and clean. The property is in the convention center area which is convenient for travelers attending events in that area. It is on the east side of the Willamette River which makes it convenient to the restaurants and cafes on the east side of Portland. Very easy to get in and out of by car. The restaurant looks small. We didn't eat there. The bar is small but the bartenders are great. Front desk staff and housekeeping staff are very helpful. I can't say that there are any downsides to this property and I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: The hotel plan is in the shape of a triangle. Two of the sides face downtown Portland. if you want...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for staying and taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you had a good stay and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here because it advertised itself as the only property at the convention center with a shuttle from the airport. First surprise: "sorry, we're really busy, you'd be better off catching a cab unless you want to wait a while!" Fifty dollars later, we arrived at the hotel to be greeted with: "sorry, we're very busy and none of the three rooms you reserved are ready." By the time they were ready, the room types were mixed up, other requests were not met, though promised, and we took what we could get. The recurring theme was: "sorry, we're really busy!"
Rooms were dated with tiny bathrooms and high, uncomfortable beds. There was an annoying whine coming from the air-conditioning system in all our rooms. It was loud enough to affect sleep. The one significant problem I reported to the front desk was a bathtub that didn't drain, so I was up to my ankles in water during a shower. Yuck! Once reported, it was fixed immediately by the maintenance person. The busyness of the property didn't seem to affect the maintenance man negatively.
The final straw: all the room charges were incorrect. "Sorry, we're really busy!"

Room Tip: High rooms facing the river are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your visit fell short of your expectations. As you can see when reading our reviews we take great pride in our quality and service. I apologize that we were not able to accommodate your arrival schedule and need for early check-in, generally we can complete any request within 30 minutes and will gladly check in any guest early if we have and can meet your room request. In order not to confuse our future guests I wanted to let them know that our mattresses are an extremely high quality Serta installed last winter. Our rooms are a more traditional style that features high grade Basset furniture, new wool carpets and our bathrooms are done in travertine tile and granite. I would encourage our guests to review our pictures because they accurately depict our product.
Thanks for staying and I hope you will consider us again.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The room was very spacious. Clean sheets, towels, bathroom supples etc.
The staff was very polite and friendly.
The food was very good and quickly prepared.
I also received a free beverage (rum and coke!) which was very good- not watered down!
I was also upgraded even though I'd booked my room using my points!
Overall, very good!

Green Features: The hotel ahd a recycling bin ihn the room and eco-friendly porgram in place
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and friendly staff. I sincerely appreciate your comments and will enjoy sharing them with my team.
Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Staff was genuinely friendly but I won't stay here again. It was the noisiest room I've ever stayed in. I heard every noise from the expressway, every train blowing it's air horn, ALL NIGHT LONG!!! The windows were closed but it was as noisy as if I were outside. Absolutely amazing! I've stayed at hotels across the street from airports and they were much quieter. Four nights with minimal sleep makes for a very unproductive trip. This was after I was given a room on the second floor with a window-filling view of the HVAC units. I asked to be moved, and was accommodated with no issues, but then I was given the room on the seventh floor with no sound insulation. I will change rooms once, after that the hotel, and the chain are a no-go for me from now on.
It's a nice property, and as I said, the staff couldn't have been friendlier, but the noise issue makes this a really poor choice. Then I got tagged an additional $18 per night to park in their lot. It's not in downtown Portland, it's kind of close, but $18/night to park?
To make it a total experience, the hotel sent an email asking for a review to be posted on their website. The link didn't work.
The restaurant is totally open to the lobby, so noise and traffic make it very undesirable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for staying and taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you acknowledged our exceptionally friendly staff because we are dedicated to exceeding our customers’ expectations and quality. I do want to apologize that you experienced noise of the nature you described which is very unusual because we do not have any railroad tracks nearby and no one has mentioned this before. I would also like to inform future guests that our parking fees are lower than other area full service hotels and half the price of the hotels across the river, we also offer alternate transportation for free such as our airport shuttle and loaner bicycles that are always fun. Thanks for staying and I hope you will consider us again.
long beach, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Had been looking forward to my first stay at a Crowne Plaza, started off great, Chrystal greeted me as an IHG premier club member & was upgraded to an executive suite on the 10th fl. Room was great until in the middle of the night awoke sweating, the room was incredibly warm, so I tried to adjust the thermostat to lower than 60 but nothing happened, no cool air from any vents. Didn't sleep well at all. At 5pm the following day I explained the issue to two women behind the front desk. One woman advised me how to adjust the thermostat instead of offering maintenance to look at it. I adjusted it when I returned to my room. I awoke at 3:15AM drenched, hot & sweaty. The room felt like a heated sauna. I immediately called the front desk, Chrystal kindly found me another room on the 6th floor & arranged for Security (Britney) to assist with my move as I walked with a cane. Britney entered my room & commented how hot my room was..hence the move. Finally in a much cooler room. Everything was great except I was so wired from having to move, a bit upset & aggravated, had to shower and then try to sleep. Couldn't get to sleep til almost 6AM!!!! Luckily I was here for vacation, had I been here for business I would've been even more furious. Lack of sleep caused me to be exhausted, ending my evening earlier than planned. Prior to checkout I spoke with Meliza Arzu, Guest Services Manager, advising her of my experience. She apologized profusely & thanked me for bring it to her attention and even offered to compensate me & return my reward points which is how I paid for the room. An unexpected offer but I was grateful and thanked her in person as I checked out. Wasn't clear if I was to be reimbursed for all 3 nights or only the 2 sleepless nights. My mistake to not have asked her; upon returning home & booking another trip I was advised she did not compensate me for 3 nights, not even the full amount of points used for 2 nights. Huge disappointment & epic fail Ms. Meliza Arzu. I hope you communicate more clearly with your other guests going forward. You offered to do the right thing but in the end, a huge failure. I will never stay at another Crowne Plaza and as soon as I use up my reward points I'm canceling my credit card. I'm a traveler but will never return to a Crowne Plaza ever again.
FYI - Shae at Concierge was fantastic, so helpful from info on transportation, restaurants, shops, parks, etc....she was a superstar!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for staying and taking the time to write a review. Once again I would like to apologize that your room was too hot. My staff and I take great pride in our service and we stand behind our product. I am pleased that we refunded two nights stay for the inconvenience which was unexpected and that you were grateful for. I do want to apologies that Meliza gave you the impression that we were going to make additional considerations; in the future we will make sure we are clearer in our delivery.
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your feedback.
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a room on the 9th floor with awesome view to downtown, bridges and a mount. The room was very clean, comfort matress and pillows. The front deck service was excellent. We had a dinner at the restaurant located at the first floor and I would not recommend it. But we liked the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel its great location and friendly staff. My team I hope you tell many friends and return often.
Thanks!