“Great business hotel in Portland!”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #45 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Irvine, California
“Great business hotel in Portland!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Was here for a conference at the Convention Center. My room was very nice with a great view of the city. The hotel is in a good location, just off the freeway, and I felt very safe at night as room keys were required to get to each floor. The aroma-thearapy pack helped make the room extra inviting! It was also very nice to have the fridge as well to keep drinks cold. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. We are very happy that you had a great stay overall and that you enjoyed the fridge and other amenities that are unique to the Crowne Plaza Portland. Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Okay, so I'm spoiled. I like to stay in a hotel that is in the middle of everything. The Crowne Plaza is close to public transportation, but it's not like staying downtown. The neighborhood seems somewhat deserted; we had to drive to the sushi restaurant the concierge recommended. However, if you have business at the Convention Center, this hotel may be right for you.

The concierge was nice, if not warm. She was knowledgeable and was able to give us directions to OMSI and the Japanese Gardens. The restaurant was good and offered a buffet (not free) for breakfast. We had some great selections at dinner. Room service was pleasant and prompt.

The pool was great for the kids. The pool area opens to the outside on one side (if you can picture that), but is completely covered. There is a sauna. Everything seems clean and many kids were taking advantage of an evening swim.

And the beds. It wasn't a bad thing, but it's worth noting that they are unnaturally high. Otherwise, the room was extremely comfortable (we had a double queen) and big, clean, up to date.

I'd stay here again if I didn't care about being close to Downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall but I am sorry that our location was not ideal for your circumstances. Please let me know if I can be of help in the future.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here three days. Easy access to all of Portland and downtown. The staff is excellent and the rooms are large and comfortable. Hotel offers room service which is nice when you are too tired to dine downstairs. Also dined in the restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed May 2013
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland Downtown and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.

Take care.
New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had some business on the southeast Portland, so we stayed here. It was the beautiful hotel - renovated recently it seems.
I drove 300 miles that day, and arrived in the late evening. The reception staff was busy dealing with one guest, so the concierge took care of our check-in. She was very efficient but there was no friendliness there. We went to our room, and we could not open the room. It was almost like it was locked from inside. We tried many times without success. I went back to the concierge who was on the phone, and indicated to me that it would be 5 minutes as if to shoo me away! She probably did not mean to but she could have dealt with it in the better way.

So I was waiting for my turn at the reception, and one staff passed by and called the maintenance for us. When I went back up, we repeatedly tried to open the door. We could finally open it. Then the maintenance staff came and made sure that the screws were not caught, and oiled the lock. He was the only genuinely nice person in the hotel until that point.

The room phone was not working - there was no dial tone.

The hotel restaurant was closed for minor, so we had to find a restaurant that was open as the room service was very expensive. The hotel was a bit removed from the area with many restaurants. The area is deserted at night but it seemed it was not dangerous.

The room was clean and very nice. The beds are exceptionally high. My son said that it was the bed from the "a pea and the princess." I do not know why they had to be that high. It is not the height that you could naturally sit down. You make an effort to sit down or get on it. But the beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was very nice too. I wish there was a complimentary bottle of water for the coffee machine.

Over all, we only used the hotel to sleep (we were there about 12 hours), and the room itself was very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. My staff and I take great pride in delivering exceptional service and product so I was disappointed that we fell short of your expectations. I will share your observations with the team so we can continually improve. Thanks for staying; we are very happy that you had a great stay overall.

Please let me know if I can assist in your future booking plans so that your next stay is exceptional.
BC
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I enjoyed the Crowne. They were helpful and flexible. I brought my bicycle and asked for a suggestion about where to go. I was directed to a multi-use path on the north side of the river. This path led into the Springwater Corridor which extends for 20 miles and ends just past the center of Gresham. I enjoyed the ride. The staff were not as great in suggesting places to eat - new to Portland I guess. In all this was a nicer hotel for us. We usually go for a lower budget place but my husband's course was being held here and it seemed to be easiest option. Also, Portland was booked solid. Our trip coincided with the beer festival. Still it was very nice and the location was pretty good. Some nice features were the relaxing room spray and creams and a keurlig coffee machine and microwave in room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. We are happy you enjoyed the many amenities that are complimentary and set us apart.
Thanks for staying and please let me know if I can be of service in the future.
singapore
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The airport shuttle makes this place very convenient, and after hours they can also take you anywhere within 5 sq miles. I got to and from the airport with this shuttle and saved $$$ on taxi fares.

The hotel itself is a rather well kept hotel of slightly older vintage. The location isn't quite in town... but if you have time you can walk past the convention centre , over the bridge and to the Saturday market ... about 30mins.

Inside, it is all a bit cramp... but still manageable. The room itself is quite comfortable, if a bit small. The mattress is thick and really high. The wifi internet works well.

It has a nice indoor pool we had no time to try. Food in the restaurant is so-so ...

Location wise... the area is safe to walk in the evening, but can be a bit unnerving for women walking alone. At night, it's a little quiet to be walking around.

All in, if you don't want to pay the high prices of being in downtown itself, this is not a bad alternative for the price.

Room Tip: Go higher than 3rd floor for a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for great review. I am so glad that you were able to utilize the free shuttle from the airport which can save you lots of money in cabs, rental car fees and parking. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you return soon. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Daly City, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I did this booking for the girlfriend and me through a discount site and did not know what to expect. EVERYTHING was great. Airport shuttle came after a reasonable wait - they made a trip to just to get us. They let us check in to the room at 10 am, to which I can only say THANK YOU! Did not expect that but it got the short week-end off on the right foot as we arrived on Saturday morning and left Monday morning. Room was clean, with a great view. Convenient to downtown with the CL street car. Concierge was about to leave after working a 12 hour day yet took the time to recommend an Italian restaurant in the Pearl District named Piazza Italian and also explained how to get there. Bicycles were free, but they could have had more as we were aced out once when we wanted them, and they are the type with pedal brakes so kind of hard to maneuver, so you really don't want to go too far with them, which actually kind of works out in terms of nobody will probably want to monopolize them for a whole day. Front desk staff, all three I spoke to over the week-end, were super friendly. This place is excellent and an excellent value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for you great review from you recent stay at the Crowne Plaza in Portland. My staff and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return. Please feel free to call on me if I can be of any assistance.