“Feel like royalty at the Crown Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice before, approximately 1 year apart each time. I do like to try different places, but when I find one that is exceptional and centrally located, I will come back to it.

The rooms are very nicely appointed, with everything necessary for a very comfortable stay. Beds are the best, and I usually have difficulty with hotel beds (too soft, too hard), as I have back problems, so getting a good nights sleep can be an issue. Not so with the beds at the Crowne. I've always been able to sleep through the night.

Love the setup in the bathroom, I have only partial sight in one eye, so the addition of the swing out-lighted-dual magnifying mirror is perfect for applying makeup. (Where can I get one of those?!)

We always carry a small plug-in cooler with us to keep drinks cold on our travels, the refridgerator in the room was adequate, so between the two, we did fine with our cold foods.

I found the addition of the Keurig coffee maker very nice. I don't drink coffee myself, but my MIL does, and it was nice to be able to make just the one cup for her first of the morning. What I didn't know, was that they also have the tea, which is my drink, so I was able to make a fresh, hot (read:not nuked) cut of tea in the morning, which was a pleasant surprise. I always carry my own tea bags with me, so it was nice not to have to dig those out.

Maid service was very discreet, I always tip the housekeepers, I feel they are particularly deserving of the kudos for the service they provide.

My favorite was the restaurant. We upgraded so that we could utilize the continental breakfast, it wasn't necessary to use it, as with the upgrade, we were given gift cards entitling us to a free regular breakfast in the restaurant. The extra few dollars for the upgrade was well worth it, in my opinion. We had dinner the first night, and surprisingly, the same waiter served us who did a year earlier. What was even more surprising, was, he actually remembered us. My daughter hopped the streetcar from her dorm and met us in the restaurant for dinner, Octavio brought our appetizers and drinks, then kept an eye on us until she showed up and we could order the meal. He was very engaging and took very good care of us. He showed the same attention to detail 2 mornings later, when we went in for breakfast.

When we first stayed in 2009, there was no charge for parking, but in 2011 and then this visit, I was slightly bothered by the $15.00 nightly charge for parking. I've noticed this seems to be a trend with more of the 3+ star hotels, the only problem I have with it is, there is sometimes no disclosure at the time of booking that this is an extra charge.

All in all, I have always been very comfortable and treated very well at the Crowne Plaza Portland.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you pointing out the names of our staff members who did a great job. We will ensure they get recognized for this. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and related services. We love the fact that you have stayed with us on three previous occasions and that you appreciate our continuous improvements. Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans we want to be your favorite hotel.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We spent 1 night at the Crowne Plaza to attend a concert at the Rose Garden Arena. It couldn't have been easier to navigate around -- took the MAX from the airport, walked to the venue, walked back, and took the train back to the airport next day. The hotel was very comfortable, we slept like kings! Nice amenities on the nightstand, too ... creams and sprays to set the mood for relaxing after long travels. The only downside is that there isn't much around -- we ate dinner at the Pyramid Taproom in the Rose Garden arena as other options in the neighborhood were sorely lacking. Granted, our group didn't want to travel far or extend themselves to take the train downtown. For our particular trip -- concert-- it worked out great and I would do the same again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. I always encourage our guests to check with the desk as we have lists of restaurant selections available that are nearby fun and unique.
I hope you enjoyed the concert.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went to Portland for the Springsteen concert (FABULOUS) and decided to stay next to the rose arena- what a great to stay- its right off I-5, a few blocks from Lloyd Center shopping and walking distance to the arena. room was great, parking convenient only 15- liked the counter space in the bathroom. bed and pillows comfortable. happy hour fun . can't say enough good things. the breakfast buffet looked like a good deal- but we went down the street to starbucks. has a shuttle too if you need it.

Room Tip: enjoyed the upper levels because you can look out over the city
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and how close it was to "Easy Street". We are sorry that you did not enjoy the buffet because we would not want you " Running on Empty". Thanks for letting us be your "Home Town Hero".

Hope you enjoyed the concert.
Thank you!!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Good Price, good deal, good hotel! A friendly helpful staff makes this hotel tops. They go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They even have bikes for guest usage. The airport shuttle is a great benefit too, no riding the met with all it's stops.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland Downtown and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.

Take care.

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this location years ago when it was a Holiday Inn but found out it changed to a higher class Crowne Plaza. The transformation is great! Much nicer rooms and the lobby looked wonderful! Nice service and loved their pool and hot tub. Fabulous stay once again!

• Stayed: October 2012
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that your second stay was even better than your first. We love when our guests have amazing stays! Please feel free to contact me directly at anytime in the future when you plan on visiting Portland, we definitely want to be your go to hotel in Portland.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

It can be a little noisy near the freeway but there are great views from some rooms and it's close to everything. $15 to park your car on-site but there is plenty of parking on the street in for about $1/hour. You usually get 2 free drinks per room when you check in!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that you have stayed with us on several occassions and that we have consistently provided good service. Please feel free to contact me directly at anytime in the future when you plan on being back in Portland. We want to be your hotel of choice all the time.

Take care.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very nice property that is close to everything. I you are going to Portland Oregon you owe yourself a trip to the Crowne Plaza at the Convention Center. You can walk to the Max trains that cover the entire area. It is a easy stroll over to Lloyd Center Mall and several restaurants if you don't feel like dinner in your room or in the hotel restaurants. But the best is the wonderful sleep in the king sized beds. Oh yeah. They have the best pillows. You're gonna love the sleep. Set the alarm if you need a wake up.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Portland.