Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
$183
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsrose gardenwithin a mile radiusfree shuttlerose quarteracross the riverfront desk stafflight railbreakfast buffetnice amenitiespool and hot tubself parkingcomfortable bedslloyd centershuttle servicehotel restaurantfew blocksairport shuttle
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I decided to up my game a bit and stay at another IHG site. I chose Crowne Plaza because the pics made it appealing and it was. From the outside it did not look like much but once you walk through the doors and into the lobby, it was VERY nice.

At check in, I was not that impressed as it appeared that this employee was not fully up to the challenge of assisting guest or she was very new. I was not recognized as a platinum member but I was recognized as a Priority Club member. I was not offered an upgrade either. This seems to be the norm ( at least for me ) on the west coast. Any other areas, I am always offered the upgrade.
Normally at H.I.E. they have my points on the room key sheath. This was not done here. ( not a big deal )

The room was nice but very small. Reminded me of a H.I.E. in Seattle. The amenities were nice as well. Flat screen, Kuerig coffee maker (Big Plus ) and the usual stuff.

I really appreciated the sign they have on the wall on the 8th floor. It reads out there pledge for. Quiet for their customers. Stuff like, they will not give any rooms on the floor to bands, large groups of kids, etc. The floor was VERY quiet.

Let's discuss the lounge/bar. Now normally, I don't eat at the restaurants in hotels. No real reason, I guess I just like getting out. This time I did not feel like dealing with traffic. I made a great choice both nights. If you go, hopefully you will sit in the bar area and be serviced by Michael. This guy was by far one of the best host/server/bartender I have come across.

The gym was decent. Better than most of the H.I.E.'s I frequent. It has 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, dumbells and a universal machine.

All in all, I will visit this hotel in the future. Maybe they will offer an upgrade upon my return in 3 weeks. (wink )

Room Tip: Ask for the 8th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Woodrow W
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you pointing out that Michael did an exceptional job, I will be sure to recognize him. I did want to apologize that we did not recognize you were Platinum level Priority Club member and I look forward to the opportunity to make it up to you next time you travel to Portland.

Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne plaza this last weekend. The hotel was very nice but the customer service was not. We felt like we were a burden because we were a family. We had called down to ask for a shuttle for the next day and the women at the front told us they were first come first serve so the next day we went down and waited for the shuttle for 1 hour and 30 min, then they told us they didn't have time to take us because we needed to make reservations for the shuttle. We felt if it was because we were not there on buisness or for the coffee convention. .Not to mention the shuttle driver his name was (Luis) that ended up taking us back to the Amtrak almost hit 2 different people walking,he should not be driving let alone driving for a hotel because he has other people he is responsible for in the vehicle. He acts like he is in such a big hurry that he hit a bump and my kids bounced so far out of their seats. He slams on his breaks.I was very disapointed. I do not recomend this hotel for a Family. & do not depend on the shuttle .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 805jrma

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your visit was not perfect please be assured I have already addressed your concerns with the driver. We love families and strive to exceed everyone’s expectations not matter why they are staying with us. I would like to apologize regarding the confusion surrounding the shuttle and to make sure future guest are informed. The service is indeed first come first serve for local trips which we space between airport runs. We ask that guests check with the desk when in the lobby so we can arrange transportation as soon as possible. It seems the confusion came about because we were not aware of the request. I will work with the team to see if we can make the process more seamless. Shae our concierge mentioned she arranged complimentary breakfast in our restaurant while arranging a shuttle to your local destination.

Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

The moment that I stepped up to the front desk I was impressed with this hotel. What struck me throughout my stay was how well managed this property is.It just seems to run smoothly and goes quietly about the business of being a great place to stay. How often do you get note under your door from the manager asking for any complaints that you have? Most managers,(in my opinion)would rather bite their lip and hope you don't complain.
Besides the management,I found the physical property to be outstanding.The carpeting appeared new.The room was clean.The bed was beyond comfortable.The vending areas were enclosed in a separate room to mitigate the noise.I could go on.The point is that I never observed any of the problems that you so often read about here.The room even had a separate "Recycle" wastebasket......So Portland :)
An interesting aspect of this hotel is that it is designed like a spoked wheel with three wings.As a result the hallways are much larger and wider than a conventional box hotel.Another aspect of this design is that one wall of your room is slightly angled.This creates an optical illusion that the bed is somewhat askew.Being a concentric person i had to laugh at myself because I was constantly trying to straighten the bed out.I say this not in a bad way. It just struck me as funny.
As for parking, they offer both self park and valet for a fee. Or, you can opt for street parking and feed the meters however the hotel does offer a short term rate for three hours which it works out to be the same as the metered rate without the necessity of keeping a running clock ticking in your head.
That's all I got folks.Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank butchpSt_PaulMn
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your informative review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities and friendly staff.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Well apointed to detail. Beautifully decorated. The colors are royal. Close to the Amtrak station. Too bad we only had one night there. It was a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and hope you have the opportunity to return and stay a while.
Safe travels.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

First off, I do not enjoy giving bad reviews. Management should not let it go that far; atleast that's what I would do if I was in charge.
I've stayed here on numerous occassions.... not by choice. The company pays for the rooms. This used to be a Holiday Inn years ago. It used to be a crack hotel with very bad bed bug problems. After the renovation, it became a Crowne Plaza. They seemed to have fixed most of its problems, except one big one-NOISE! This hotel is conveniently located and the free tram ride into downtown comes in handy. I have no problems with the decor of the rooms. What the hotel did not spend money on is sound proofing the windows. The rooms facing the Shilo Hotel are fairly quiet but the rooms facing the freeway and the main road are noisy. Now I know how the homeless people feel sleeping under the bridge. I guess there's a reason why the hotel provides the ear plugs (in the red bag placed on the bed) :-(

Room Tip: Bring noise cancelling devices and sleeping pills
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your visit was not perfect. I would like to point out some inaccuracies with your review to ensure future guests are not misled.

Because we are in an urban environment we have the potential for more noise exposure especially on the city side. Guests’ expectations and preferences vary with many choosing and recommending the side with an exceptional city view but more noise exposure. I have stayed on the city side and do not find it excessive, both my family and I enjoy the view facing the river. Our “Sleep Amenity Kit” a Crowne Plaza brand standard, includes ear plugs, eye mask, lavender spray and a drape clip are provided to improve your night’s sleep not imply that the room is noisy. Remember we are here to serve you and would be happy to honor any request such as view preference, location or other special request when available.

Thank you very much for staying with us. Please consider contacting me if you are returning to the area I would love the opportunity to address your concerns.