“Rude & incompetent staff members...”

Radisson Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #13 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 21, 2006

I booked directly through the hotel 2 weeks before my stay in order to make sure I got a waterfront room on the Lindburgh level. I paid a premium rate specifically for that. A very young woman who was working the desk gave me keys to my room upon check-in. I mentioned the waterfront and she assured me that indeed I was getting that. When I got to my room it overlooked the parking lot. When I called to let her know this was not acceptable she became hostile and very short with me and told me she was assisting another guest and that there were no other rooms available. (Why even bother picking up the phone then?) When I called back and asked for a manager, she indicated there was none on-site and if I "stopped giving her attitude" she would give me another room (yes, after she had just indicated there were no other rooms available). I was absolutely amazed at this and went down to the front desk to speak to someone else. When I pay what I did for a hotel I do not think it is appropriate to be snubbed by an insolent teenager -ESPECAILLY when I could have (and probably should have) stayed elsewhere where CUSTOMER SERVICE is more of a paramount concern for the staff. When I approached the desk this same person continued with her arrogant, snotty attitude and comments and she actually gave me dirty looks to the point that I finally told her to go in the back and think about what her job was, because no one else behind the desk seemed to have the fortitude to do so and I was absolutely finished with dealing with her. She folded her arms and smirked at me and then actually told me that maybe “you should just check out”. I am dead serious; it was on their security tape. After holding myself back from knocking her into next Tuesday, I did finally manage to have the other clerk get me into the right kind of room and unfortunately to top it all off, it reeked like mildew and cigarettes. I was exhausted and saw no point in going back down to deal with the incompetent. The next morning I checked my credit card and saw that it had been charged twice for the full amount of my 3-day stay. Amazing and yet not suprising. I then talked to one manager who was also somewhat rude and nonchalant until I gave her a copy of the letter of complaint I wrote addressed to the Executive VP of Carlson Hotels in NE. Her tone changed immediately and she brought out the Operations Manager who did in fact have me talk to the auditor who asked me to get all my banking information so she could call my bank and have them reverse the charge immediately. He also made arrangements to move my room for the 3rd time due to the stench in the 2nd room. And in his favor I will say that he did comp my first night but the whole thing was really a fiasco and took so much time away from my vacation on the first night and 2nd morning that I was exhausted and disgusted. This was all so stupid and none of it should have happened at all. The damage was done and in my opinion was not worth the effort. Stay somewhere else and avoid pointless rudeness and precious time wasted!! Too bad because the 3rd room was actually pretty nice. I will not stay again and will probably avoid the Radisson chain altogether as there are other Hotels that do actually care about their guests out there.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank hg1andpk2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,158)

Reviewed September 22, 2006

Finding the hotel was a little tricky since it sits off the highway. Check in went smooth. We were pleasantly surprised to find we had a room with queen size "Select Comfort" beds which allow you to adjust the firmness of the beds. Very nice! Also, the hotel restaurant called the Lakeside Cafe, which had below average ambiance, had VERY good food from salads, Ahi tuna (kind of a sushi), calamari, sandwiches and fries. We did not have breakfast there. Note: we were not able to find other good restaurants in the immediate area unless we drove several miles toward portland downtown area. Also, one of the staff told us they were only 60% full so we probabley could have got the room for even cheaper than our the $60/night we paid but I feel we still got an excellent deal.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grizzlyben
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I thought this hotel was going to be so luxurious but it really wasn't. I booked the Charles Lindbergh level room, which is supposed to be top of the line and so fantastic. The room was average, nothing special, the sleep number beds were not that great, the restuarant in the hotel was a lot smaller than I expected and the staff was complaining loudly about their jobs! The pool was right off the lobby and had huge windows in between so the people in the lobby watched you swim. You can here the plane from the airport in the hotel and it woke me up several times. The regular staff was friendly and helpful. If you're staying near the airport it may be a good choice, but don't go out of your way because you think it's luxury. It's not.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank cheshirekittie9
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Got the Radisson on Hotwire for $51 a night, Thursday and Friday in July. Nice room, helpful staff, everything worked, clean and quiet. No traffic, train or plane noise. Although only an average three star property, the price made it a fantastic bargain. I was given a handicap room, which has happened on Hotwire before, but I consider the extra room and less wear and tear to be a positive.

Drawback is the somewhat hidden location in an office-industrial park so print out a map on mapquest. As a base of operations to explore Portland, it is neither central nor easy to get in and out of. You will want a car if this is not just a night at the airport before flying out. No transit in the area that I could see, not near the light rail station, stores or ameneties. Lots of loud, active, uncontrolled children and their rude and clueless parents on Friday evening in the public areas and hallways, not the hotel's fault of course. The pool may make this property attractive to traveling families.

1  Thank lindengroves
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My ordeal started when after I booked my room online, I called the hotel to ask a question. I was told they had no record of my reservation. I planned on leaving the next day so I was hesitant to go there not sure of whether I had a reservation or not. The staff member I talked to was very helpful and offered to make a second reservation just in case the first one didn't come through. He assured me that one of them could be cancelled easily. When I checked in, my original reservation had indeed come through so they were supposed to have cancelled the "back up" reservation. I showed them my confirmation receipt t hat showed my credit card had been ran when I made the first reservation but they insisted that that wasn't possible and ran my card again.
They assured me that I was only being billed once. The next morning when my bank opened I called them to see if I a had been billed twice, and sure enough I had, for two totally different
amounts,95.63 (the correct amount) and an addidtional 125.65.
I tried to sort it out with the desk clerk and he just would not, or could not see the problem. When I returned home I saw on my online banking that the correct charge had cleared my account but the Hotel still had a "hold" on t he other, incorrect ,amount. The amount is still being held and I am told that I won't know until t he end of this week, whether or not the hotel released it.

As for everything else, the room was Okay for the price. We stayed on the executive floor which has the continental breakfast and the managers reception. Just know that the managers reception is only on Monday-Thursday and the continental breakfast is a carb lovers paradise, but a diabetic or protein lovers nightmare. You can however use your ticket for 3.00 off per person at the hotel cafe. The pool was closed and unavailable for the whole time we were there (where is the travelling knome when you need him!).
I loved t he sleep number bed and it is definitely quieter than some of the other airport hotels. I might have considered staying here again if they had been more open about fixing their mistake.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank The_Travelling_KMOM
Reviewed June 2, 2006

I used to stay at the Radisson PDX quite frequently, when in Portland for business. It used to be a great place to stay, due to it's location to PDX, ease in getting into town, and very reasonable price. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Great rooms, with a concierge level on the fourth floor (free continental breakfast). Nice exercise room (more complete than other hotels) and a great pool and jacuzzi spa.
This time around I was a bit disappointed. Even though the hotel is very close to PDX airport, the jets never flew out on the hotel's side, at night. This time, they were running alongside the hotel on take-off all day and late into the night. . . No sleep was to be had no matter what I tried. There also seems to be a military jet presence now, where there was not one before. Nothing like having the 'extremely' loud fighter jets flying past your window first thing in the morning.
I do hope that this was a 'one-of' experience. I will update after my next visit to Portland.

4  Thank Dragonfly972
Reviewed May 30, 2006

The Radisson PDX has all the comforts one can expect from a hotel in its class. Just as important, the rooms are clean and comfortable.

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel, both times I have had rooms with a Sleep Number bed. In addition, there is a sitting area, wireless internet access, refrigerator, and if on the North side, a room facing a small portion of the wetlands.

My only complaint is that I bought this room from Expedia. I was charged appx. $99. When checking in I presented a credit card for incidentals. A few days after checking out I found that I was charged again for the same room, only this rate was appx $79 - what must be the contract rate Expedia has in place for the room (single King w/Sleep# bed). I had the charge removed, but be advised, if you are a negotiator, when reserving a room and you are quoted a price, offer something closer to the $79 figure - if they aren't booked I don't see why they wouldn't give you this better deal.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business