“Very basic, and not at all great.”

Radisson Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #14 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Salem, Oregon
“Very basic, and not at all great.”
Reviewed November 16, 2008

For a trip to San Diego, it was a good deal to stay at the Raddison and then park our car for the 10 days we would be gone. We got there late at night, and we were all dead tired, with a flight leaving at 6:00am the next day. You would think we would be able to go right to sleep and not have any complaints about the room . . . .

Unfortunately, the room was the utmost in "hotel basic", despite a price of $139. Fortunatelly, we got our parking for free, so it was probably a break even deal. We didn't have very high expectations, but the hotel still let us down.

We stayed on the "Charles Lindburgh" level, which is somehow supposed to be better, I think because it comes with some appetizers. It also had sleep number beds. The kids were initially excited about adjusting the beds, but soon found that they could not find a comfortable position. We tried too. We wen't from unbearably hard to uncomfortably soft. In the middle of the night, we discovered that our son's bed had deflated, so he was essentially sleeping in a hole.

The room was very average, with the most basic trim work and amenities. The lights in the room were harsh, and nothing was very inviting.

I must commend the staff however. At the front desk, they took our names when we came and scheduled us for a shuttle. The shuttle driver was very helpful, as was the driver upon our return. That was the highlight though.

The hotel is hard to find and for the money, I think you can do better.

• Liked — Close to the airport, with parking included for the week we were gone.
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds and uninviting rooms.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Korean first
Graniteville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2008

A little hard to find, even with GPS I was a little confused where the entrance was. This is a "park & fly" hotel so the parking lot was always full (hard to find a good spot). Check in was easy & friendly. I reserved a king room but was given a double/double room. Not a big whoop thouugh. My room was on the 4th floor which is called the "Lindenburgh Level"; supposedly this level has special perks but I never experienced any. You have to use your room key in the elevator to get to this floor. Not sure what that's about except to maybe make you feel "exclusive". I had a beautiful view of the duck pond. High speed internet worked fine, no wireless though. Did not care for the sleep number bed - I just could not make it comfy for me. Everything else was fine. I'd stay again, but maybe in a room without the sleep number bed. Great Chinese restaurant within 2-3 miles. Happy Fortune something.

• Liked — View of the duck pond.
  • Disliked — Sleep Number bed.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Colorado
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We found this hotel on our GPS while driving into Portland late one afternoon. It was a little hard to find (would have been near impossible without our GPS), but it was only minutes away from the airport, which was our primary concern. We went inside to inquire about rates, and I asked the young man if I could see a room. He seemed surprised at this request, but wordlessly lead me down a hall to a room. It looked fine - had two sinks outside the bathroom area, which was great since we had a 6 AM flight and two ladies needing to apply makeup and style hair. We found the room to be acceptable - large enough for the three of us and very practical because of the sinks. We also liked that there were two complimentary bottles of water. As we settled in for the night, we became aware of the sounds of a bass guitar from an undetermined location. We didn't think much about it, but as we tried to get to sleep, the bass continued. It was obvious that there was music playing somewhere in the hotel, but we were not able to identify it. And this vague bass sound continued...and continued....all night long. The next morning as we left, we could still hear it. So from a sleeping perspective, it was not a great experience. The beds were comfortable and the location was practical, although hard to find, and we wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — The unwanted music throughout the night
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Hotel's a bit secluded streetwise which is good for roadnoise, but a bit of a challenge to find (without a GPS or very good detailed description on Mapquest or something).

Hotel's ok in so far as decor, etc - certainly nothing fancy. Rooms aren't very soundproof when it comes to someone talking in the hall or walking around in their room above yours.

Like I said, nothing terrible but certainly nothing snazzy either.

Restaurant/bar is nice with good food, etc. This hotel has a free washer/dryer for guest use which came in handy.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Rooms not very soundproof
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I booked on Hotwire for two nights at prices in the $60's for my late night arrival at PDX and for the night before my departure from PDX. Arriving late my first night, I was given an ordinary, handicap room, on parking lot side, third floor. Ordinary queen bed. The desk amenities were impressive including stapler and tape dispenser. Free WiFi. Micro Frig. Coffee carafe chipped.
My departing night I was given a lakeside room with Sleep Number king, second floor. The controls didn't work but that was OK because the bed was nice anyway. Slept well. The lakeside is also the airport side, with airport noise. Ducks, geese, birds around the lake made it nice. Restaurant patio.
To eliminate noise disturbances, I turn on the bathroom fan (this hotel has a separate switch) and HVAC fan to drown out unwanted sounds when i sleep.
Good size vanity for all your stuff.
Limited TV choices.
Top floor (4th) is upgraded rooms floor. Key-card and more money required to access this floor.
If you're driving, make sure you Google directions.
Only area for improvement for this hotel would be fresher smelling linens and bedding. The king pillows in my second room were better. I always carry a pillow case from home to put on my pillow when this is the case. Older carpeting could use some work.
Check in and check out was very quick.

• Liked — free wifi, proximity to airport
  • Disliked — smelly linens/bedding
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed July 10, 2008

First impression was BAD. Only 1 check-in clerk, who seemingly did everything!! Stood in line for 15 solid minutes while she answered the phone, handled room requests, addressed airline personnel and THEN checked guest in. Did not apologize or seem to care. The good first: The room is BIG. The beds are sleep # (more info on that below) and the sheets at first glance are cotton (NOT) The bad ... the bed is HORRIBLE, the sheets are NOT 100% cotton and the window unit airconditioner is TERRIBLE.

So -- I would not choose this hotel again. I did not complain and DID feel I got my $49 a nights' worth - but when booking again, I would pay more for nicer and newer accomodations.

Good luck on your trip!!

• Liked — room is large
  • Disliked — old, poor service, uncomfortable bed and linens
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
SF Bay Area, California
Reviewed June 21, 2008

The staff here was very helpful and friendly, but the property is not that great. I expect pictures online to not exactly match a property, but this was pretty bad.

I checked in around 1am after arriving into the airport. The check-in process was pleasant and quick. No issues at all with the front desk clerk, except the room he assigned me.

It was right off the elevator. Literally, one step off and the elevator and there was my room. I was afraid it would be noisy, and it was, just not from the elevator. The hotel must be incredibly old because the floors creaked a LOT… I heard the guest above me walking around back and forth throughout the night, and I can only imagine what the guest below me must have heard as I walked around. And I also heard the Sleep Number beds during the night, either from above or next door, I’m not sure which.

The sound of the Sleep Number bed certainly wasn’t coming from my room because I didn’t have one. The room was small and definitely not one of the renovated rooms that are pictured online. The linens were old and smelly, almost like they were stale or something.

I went to the Lakeside Café for breakfast, which was just average.

The room was clean, which is certainly important. Since I was only staying for one night – a total of about 10 hours from check in to check out – I decided that it wasn’t worth the trouble to complain and ask for a room change. And one last small detail… the towel rack in the bathroom was no where near the shower. There was not a single spot to put a clean towel, except on the bathroom floor. I decided instead to just hop out of the shower wet, and grab a towel that way. It’s a small thing, but having the towels near the shower (or at least a hook) is something I figured was standard.

• Stayed May 2008