“Incredible and any other superlatives you can think of”
Review of Natural Selection - CLOSED

Natural Selection
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 31st
Transit: The Trimet Bus #9-Powell/Broadway can be boarded on Broadway Ave in the Portland City Center. The bus crosses NE Alberta at 27th, a few blocks from our location. Broadway and Radio Cabs are a good option for travelers. Ample bike parking available.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We only spent one night in Portland and chose Natural Selection based on swath of different reviews. Could not have been more impressed. The meal was perfect was from start to finish. The wine pairings and overall execution of each course were flawless. In all my years of enjoying food, this was the first meal I have ever had that made me consider all the wonderful textures that food could have. I am a new vegetarian, only about 4 months. I promise if you simply enjoy good food you will love this restaurant. It is fairly small. I would guess it holds about 40 people. The open kitchen is actually in the dining room. The service was great. The dishes and the wine was served at a nice pace, but never hurried. Did I mention that I really enjoyed my meal. I could not give any higher recommendation to anyone visiting Portland than Natural Selection. It was perhaps the best meal I have ever had. Simply spectacular!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I enjoyed a dinner at Natural Selections in March, 2013. I loved it from beginning to end. From the amuse-bouche to the last bite of dessert. Every mouth full flooded my taste buds with delicious flavours and textures. The palate cleanser of fluffy sorbet served before our dessert was like biting into a tasty cloud.
I can't wait to return to Natural Selections to see what will be on the seasonal menu next. I would highly recommend this restaurant to vegetarians as well as anyone who likes finely prepared food served with casual reverence. Great value too.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

One of the best meals I have ever had. Beautifully presented. Delicious combinations of unlikely pairings of foods. So tasty and a delight for me, as a vegan, to find a meal of such a high caliber. That said, the staff is overly professional to the point of being unfriendly and stuffy. They were very organized in clearing dishes and presenting the next course but never with a smile, which is unusual for the very friendly City of Portland.

1  Thank JeanneCumby
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Here's my course by course assessment. The parisian gnocchi was great. Fluffy & wonderful with nice flavors. My second course was the pear, peppers, figs, blue cheese, lemon pistachio cream salad. This was where the disappointment began. It was under salted & under seasoned. The next course, roasted fennel & beets, suffered from the same issue. I understand that fennel doesnt come out of the ground soft, but it seemed a bit tough...a steak knife would be helpful with this dish. The fruit crumble had a weird gelatinous, stringy texture to it.

The wine list was good, with minimal mark up compared to the norm.

The service was stuffy, I kinda wished my server would loosen up a bit & have more fun. Afterall, this a veggie joint on Alberta, not your grandmas steak house...

1  Thank NEPortlandia
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We found Natural Selection to be delicious. Very vegetarian. Lovely presentation. The most delicious white chocolate pots de creme I've tasted. Atmosphere was quiet even though it was
fairly crowded. The kitchen is open so you can watch everyone at work. The decor was lovely.
Service excellent and servers attentive. Can't wait to go back!