“Glad we found this place!”
Review of Grain & Gristle

Grain & Gristle
Reserve with OpenTable
Grain & Gristle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #502 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Someone on the TA forum suggested this place and I'm glad they did. After marvelling at the massive wood bar, we took our seats and got prompt service. Loved the eclectic menu, both beers and food. Three of us tried three different beers and everyone was happy. I had a salad with greens, apple and goat cheese. We shared a cheese board and the others had a sausage of some sort and mussels. I tried it all and was happy with my choice, but all were tasty. Great neighborhood vibe and friendly staff. Wish it were in my neighborhood.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

With all the different types of places to eat in Portland, you'd think they couldn't come up with another one but Grain and Gristle surprisingly found a way to offer yet another new type of menu, dividing it up into salt, vegetable, and protien. Many dishes include an interesting combination of ingredients, making it different from what you're probably used to but not so unusual that you'd be afraid to try it. I had the braised pork shoulder (I'm not too adventurous) and it was excellent. My friend had the raddichio/feta/hazelnut salad and said it was great as well. The restaurant had a fresh, open, and friendly feel; laid back and a little country. It was very clean and the staff was attentive. I was surprised at how reasonable the prices were. We aren't beer drinkers but there was an impressive list of brews on the board as well as some specials.

This is a place I'd bring out-of-town friends to show off Portlands excellent variety of eateries. It's like a sunny day in Portland!

1  Thank cybergrrl
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We found this by mistake while looking for Podnah's pit BBQ (which I'm guessing this replaced). What a very happy accident, we walked in off the street and sat down to a fabulous meal, really excellent value too (appetisers, mains and 1 beer each for 3 people came to $65). We liked the atmosphere plus the staff are really friendly. Would heartily recommend.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is a place that was highly recommended by a couple of friends. The reviews were good, too, so my expectactions were high.

I like the casual atmosphere. We were seated at a corner window table. Damn, it was cold! It was about 35 outside and my boyfriend said he might need to go outside to warm up. My coat was buttoned up to my chin and my scarf was double wrapped around my neck as I asked the server to turn off the air. That did the trick and I was soon warm and cozy.

We each ordered a salad and they were both flavorful, fresh and I decided that I need to eat more arugula in 2012 and beyond. The arugula salad with apples and blue cheese was crunchy, creamy and delicious. My boyfriend was attacking my sald plate before he even gave his a glance. Had to bat his fork away!

I ordered the mussels and my boyfriend ordered the chorizo on creamy beans. From the time we finished our salads to the time our entrees came out, 20 minutes had passed (restaurant was two thirds full). Too long and no one bothered to explain why it took so long. Acknowledgement goes a long way.

Our food finally arrived and my mussels frites were served cold. I was famished so I let the server know that my dish was cold but that I was hungry so I wouldn't mind eating the cold mussels as long as I got a fresh order of hot fries. Well, before I could stop her that dish disappeared out from under me and was whisked back into the kitchen. As my boyfriend ate his meal, I waited and waited for my dish to come out. He was completely finished by the time my mussels came out.

Unfortunately, the mussels tripped and fell flat on their little mussel faces in flavor. Some garlic, herbs and wine would go a long way to impart some flavor into these, although they were cooked perfectly.

With so many great places to eat in Portland, I probably won't return unless I go for a beer.

They did comp the mussels, btw.
Edit Remove

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I first tried G&G in Dec 2011 when I was on a Portland neighborhood walk-about. I walked up to N. Alberta but didn't find a place to have an afternoon beer. I ventured down NE 15th and happened upon a simple looking building that appeared to be a pub. I cozied up to the most beautiful bar surface made out of rough edged Oregon coast maple. G&G has an ever changing list of fresh local brews on tap and I had a soup and salad that hit the spot. Liked the place so much I returned with a friend later in December on another visit to Portland and had some excellent appetizers. My recent visit on a Saturday afternoon had some wonderful late afternoon breakfast foods with some excellent local beer. I learned that they get a full pig once a week and dress it out to make all kinds of fantastic pork dishes. The ham slice with scrambles eggs was delicious. This is a place I will return to over and over again. Good service, great food, and good local Portland NE neighborhood vibe.