Review of Little Bird Bistro

Little Bird Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Bird Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 4,491 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: in between OAK & PINE on 6TH AVENUE
Transit: The Green and Yellow MAX lines stop directly across the street. The following bus lines stop within a block: 4,8,9,17,20,31,32,33,35,36,44,54,94,99.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Recommended by local family. I had Chicken-fried trout; hub had burger. He said it was the best burger in his life, and he's had many. My fish, delish! Great service, despite lunchtime rush. Would eat there everyday if I lived in Portland.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Happened upon this place for lunch near our hotel. We enjoyed an outside table and the food was excellent. It was a bit pricey but worth a visit.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We wanted classic heavy fat laden french cusine and this was the best I ever had. Our server was also the best I had ever had, friendly and knowledgeable and guided our choices. We started with foie gras torchon wrapped in duck bacon. This was so creamy and good and great for smearing on their excellent bread. Then the next course was bone marrow with calamari on top and goat cheese gnocchi in a rich lamb ragu. Both of these were also perfectly done and unique. Our 3rd course was the pork shoulder in a casserole over some kind of potatoe/pasta sauce. The pork was so tender that you did not need a knife and this was the best dish of its kind I ever had. I also enjoyed a side order of mac and cheese very crispy. Dessert was a strawberry ice cream with some kind of crust over it and a cookie which was fabulous. This restaurant truly earned my 5 star rating acoss the board.

1  Thank kod
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I just had dinner at Little Bird. We had been looking forward to the meal, having read so many positive reviews about this restaurant. The atmosphere is lively and the restaurant was full. We were seated upstairs and the server explained the menu additions. We both decided to have to have the black cod fish special, though I had some reservations from the description - not exactly line-edge French, not classic French either. We also ordered olives as an appetizer, and a glass of wine each. And then the server disappeared. My husband's fish was cooked; mine was raw. In addition, the tomato jam (unnecessary, acidic and sweet) made the fish skin soggy and unappetizing. The dauphinois potatoes were overcooked and tough, the warm salad sadly reminiscent of church suppers and the beurre blanc a figment of the chef's imagination. Had the server checked in with us I would have asked him to have the chef pop my fish back into the pan to crisp up the skin a bit, and warm it through. By the time he got back to us, it was too late. My husband finished my potatoes. To give them credit, the restaurant did apologize and comp my meal, and we were heartened to try dessert. Twenty-five minutes after the server gave us the dessert menus we had lost our goodwill, and just asked for the cheque. Was it terrible? No. Was it as good as it easily could have been? Absolutely not.

2  Thank Jane P
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is generally the first place we eat in Portland when we hit town after 9PM and many restaurants have closed or, if they are open late, don't take reservations so it's hard to be assured a table.

Must-haves include the charcuterie and the marrow bones. Very few dishes are misses; others rave about the burger, but it's not my style. Service is usually excellent. Highly recommended for after 9PM dinners.