“Excellent french bistro in downtown Portland”
Review of Little Bird Bistro

Little Bird Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Bird Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: in between OAK & PINE on 6TH AVENUE
Transit: The Green and Yellow MAX lines stop directly across the street. The following bus lines stop within a block: 4,8,9,17,20,31,32,33,35,36,44,54,94,99.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Service was timely and not pretentious. They did not hurry us at all. Wine choices were excellent. The french bistro food was above average and worthy of another visit. Easy to find the restaurant. Make reservations though.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Beautifully done French bistro, had the duck confit cassoulet - oh my Gawddd! Great wine, great staff, loved just chatting and eating at the bar - this place is special! James Beard awarded, if that helps!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed in Portland for a week, on a house hunting trip. Sampled food carts by day and fine dining by night. At little bird, Right from the start there were a few pretentious vibes in the air. A sense that a table for two was bothersome and not going to get a good tip. Then when we said we were looking for a light dinner, having grazed all day, the waitress was disappointed. Then not ordering a bottle of wine and just a glass, the tip potential was low. So with low tip prospects the service dropped too. We had to work hard on eye contact to get our waitress away from her two bigger tables. All in all, we felt more like a nuisance than valuable, potential long term customers. I had the trout, which was quite nice, but our overall experience was soured by the waitress and we were rushed through the dining production line in less than 45 minutes, presumably to make room for a bigger tip. Not a very good strategy, because if we are thinking of a location for a dinner club venue for 10 of our close friends, little bird won't make the cut.

1  Thank Jonny D
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I were in town to see the Broadway play Warhorse and we always relish the opportunity to dine out in Portland since we are from a smaller city with few quality restaurants. We selected Little Bird based on other positive online reviews. I knew they were a French Bistro and knew they would but hoped they wouldn't serve Foie Gras. They do serve it and I'm sure it's delicious but we passed on these dishes for various reasons. We were pleased to see they had plenty of other dishes and we opted to get the macaroni and cheese as an appetizer. We were truly unprepared for this dish. I cannot express adequately how unbelievably delicious this dish is at Little Bird! Get it! You will not be disappointed. We had a couple of different cocktails, all were outstanding. Our dinner selections were also very, very good but nothing topped the mac and cheese.

I echo what others say about the atmosphere...it's trendy, warm, inviting and fun.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have lived in Portland for nearly 18 years. We pride ourselves on being foodies, however, we always seem to end up at the same restaurants. This year, for a birthday celebration, I decided to force myself out of sticking with the "knowns", and try something new. I had heard a lot of positive things about Little Bird and their sister restaurant, Le Pigeon. I went back and forth between the two when making my selection. To be completely honest, the only reason I selected Little Bird over Le Pigeon was the photo on Le Pigeon's website of a cheeky little kid with sorbet all over his face. While our kids would be joining us for our celebration dinner, they certainly do not act their ages of 11 & 12 in restaurants. The act like young adults and therefore we tend to avoid establishments who advertise "family friendly" as it usually means they have a child's menu (yuck) and more than the average share of screaming kids.
Anyway, we arrived at Little Bird and were greeted warmly and promptly shown to our table. Our server was friendly and professional. We had barely gotten situated when bread arrived and our initial drink order was taken. A quality I appreciate from any server.
Our server was very helpful and knowledgable about the offerings and made suggestions only when asked. Another mark of a good server.

The food arrived in a timely manner and each course was well paced. We started with the Charcuterie Board, for $21, which we all shared. My boys loved, and I mean LOVED the Foie Gras Brûlée & the Veal Tongue. I was partial to the liver mousse.

For our entries we selected the Cassoulet of Duck (amazing), Melted Leek & Goat Cheese Crêpes (incredible), and two orders of Roasted Quail for our boys (I think their words to describe it was "awesome"). Oh, and a side order of the best fries I have ever had. They were for the boys, but I could not resist.

The rest of the menu was creative and tempting. Since we had birthday cake at home, we passed on dessert, as hard as it was after reading the menu.

Having been to Paris often, Little Bird reminds me so much of that wonderful city. There were even two ladies practicing their French at the table next to us. Delightful!

We will give Le Pigeon a go, and will most certainly return to Little Bird. So many things left to try.