“Everything we expected and MORE!”
Review of Little Bird Bistro

Little Bird Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Bird Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: in between OAK & PINE on 6TH AVENUE
Transit: The Green and Yellow MAX lines stop directly across the street. The following bus lines stop within a block: 4,8,9,17,20,31,32,33,35,36,44,54,94,99.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have lived in Portland for nearly 18 years. We pride ourselves on being foodies, however, we always seem to end up at the same restaurants. This year, for a birthday celebration, I decided to force myself out of sticking with the "knowns", and try something new. I had heard a lot of positive things about Little Bird and their sister restaurant, Le Pigeon. I went back and forth between the two when making my selection. To be completely honest, the only reason I selected Little Bird over Le Pigeon was the photo on Le Pigeon's website of a cheeky little kid with sorbet all over his face. While our kids would be joining us for our celebration dinner, they certainly do not act their ages of 11 & 12 in restaurants. The act like young adults and therefore we tend to avoid establishments who advertise "family friendly" as it usually means they have a child's menu (yuck) and more than the average share of screaming kids.
Anyway, we arrived at Little Bird and were greeted warmly and promptly shown to our table. Our server was friendly and professional. We had barely gotten situated when bread arrived and our initial drink order was taken. A quality I appreciate from any server.
Our server was very helpful and knowledgable about the offerings and made suggestions only when asked. Another mark of a good server.

The food arrived in a timely manner and each course was well paced. We started with the Charcuterie Board, for $21, which we all shared. My boys loved, and I mean LOVED the Foie Gras Brûlée & the Veal Tongue. I was partial to the liver mousse.

For our entries we selected the Cassoulet of Duck (amazing), Melted Leek & Goat Cheese Crêpes (incredible), and two orders of Roasted Quail for our boys (I think their words to describe it was "awesome"). Oh, and a side order of the best fries I have ever had. They were for the boys, but I could not resist.

The rest of the menu was creative and tempting. Since we had birthday cake at home, we passed on dessert, as hard as it was after reading the menu.

Having been to Paris often, Little Bird reminds me so much of that wonderful city. There were even two ladies practicing their French at the table next to us. Delightful!

We will give Le Pigeon a go, and will most certainly return to Little Bird. So many things left to try.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Little Bird is a charming little French bistro with spectacular food. Not only did my friend and I enjoy our food, we noticed that everyone around us was as well.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Little Bird is what a downtown Bistro should be, and more. The modest exterior belies the culinary treasures waiting inside. And, the restaurant sets aside a few seats for walk-ins! But a reservation is recommended. The food, a mash-up of continental and Northwest fresh, is very fresh and creatively presented. Expect sophisticated, layered flavors and surprising combinations that work in every case. The space can get a little loud, a testimony to its popularity, but that's what Bistro dining is all about. Service is superior.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Enjoyed our French with a twist dining experience. I love duck and had the duck confit, which was perfectly cooked..dessert was a meyer lemon creme brulee, smooth, creamy and delish. Portion sizes were right on. Overall, very nice little place in Portland.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We'd heard so much about Le Pigeon but knew we'd never get a table there, so we settled for Little Bird. Definitely a meat-lovers venue, with an emphasis on local and even, raw products. I was delighted with my juicy rare burger, but my partner said his sandwich was dry. Price is right, but be careful with menu selections. It's very noisy, so if you're hearing impaired, you might want to give it a pass.