“French classics with a fresh approach”
Review of Little Bird Bistro

Little Bird Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Bird Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 4,560 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: in between OAK & PINE on 6TH AVENUE
Transit: The Green and Yellow MAX lines stop directly across the street. The following bus lines stop within a block: 4,8,9,17,20,31,32,33,35,36,44,54,94,99.
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My friend and I discovered Le Petit Oiseau (Little Bird) while walking back to our hotel. It was filled for dinner that night so we quickly made a reservation for the following evening.
As others have stated, the cuisine is French and the preparation and quality of ingredients are top notch. My friend had the Trout which was fresh, meaty, sweet and perfectly cooked.
I had the pork chop which had been milk brined and was the most tender I've ever tasted.
It was quite a large portion and I ate far more than usual because it was SO GOOD!!
My only complaint was the stacking of the food on the plate. Not sure why the pork chop is placed on top of the asparagus when you have to then rearrange everything to get to the elements on your plate. I know it's fashionable to do this but certainly makes getting to the food a bit awkward :-)
We shared a lovely salad as a first course and a wonderful Rubarb Tart Tatin for dessert.
My friend doesn't drink alcohol so I ordered wine off of the "by the glass" list and found it to be a lovely offering of both French and Oregon wines.
The service was friendly, helpful and relaxed. Little Bird is a restaurant I would recommend to my foodie friends and definitely return to next time I'm in Portland.

1  Thank sastillman

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Love, love, LOVE Little Bird! Have been here twice for lunch, most recently with a very discerning foodie friend from Marin County CA. From the delectably French bistro fare to the wine list to the authentic decor, Little Bird is a little slice of Paris in the heart of downtown Portland OR. Now if only there were a view of the Eiffel Tower out the window...

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Not being big on french food I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED when friends brought me to the little bistro in downtown Portland and found that the best thing on their menu was a wonderful burger...good wine great conversation area Definitely will go back

Reviewed May 21, 2012

What a wonderful introduction to Portland.

A charming, relaxed bistrot that hid some amazing culinary creativity. There was quite a collection of salads, etc. but (lots of people were eating the crab and celery remoulade). But we decided to go totally appetizer and had the charcuterie plate followed by the bone marrow (washed down with some good red wine).

The charcuterie was really amazing. There were six things - each more adventurous and interesting (in a good way) than the other. We started with the head cheese sampling which was nice - good mixture of earthy taste with vegetable freshness. Then pickled quails egg with pickled green apples - wow! Then paprika sausages that were incredibly smokey. Then chicken liver moose, trotter croquet. Then the finale was a foie brulee that was a wonderful terrine with a crem brulee hard top .... and a brioche 'stick' to dip in it. All of the above on a single charcuterie plate. For small tastes.

The service was wonderful, knowledgable and friendly.

Then the bone marrow. Had shaved horseradish and a lemon marmalade. The there was twice as much marmalade than it really needed (danger of overpowering the marrow) but it cut/complimented the richness of the marrow quite well. And they had a rosemary sale that you could barely taste.

That's it. Two appetizer servings that together really blew us away and set us up for a few days of the most amazing food or our lives. Portland rocks.

One other thing about Little BIrd. Eat the bread! We lived for three years in Paris and rarely had bread this amazingly good. Perfect crust, taste, etc.

Just rocking all around. . . . or else we were just really hungry ;-)

1  Thank PBandJR
Reviewed May 14, 2012

In town for an overnight trip to Portland from Seattle. We hadn't made any planes for dinner and asked the gal at our hotel we were staying at for a recommendation. We threw out some of the regular spots we knew in Portland but then she suggested The Little Bird and it was one of the best little places we've been to in a long time! It was a busy Saturday night and we did not have reservations but the staff sadi we'd probably only have to wait a few minutes she offered to get us drinks while we waited and we got sat in just a short time. From the fresh baked bread served to the lovely green salad we shared as a started we could already tell it was going to be good. Seeing the plates being served to all the other guests around us everything looked so good. I decided on the veal which was so so delicious! Perfectly tender and very tasty! My friend had there steak and he kept commenting on how tasty it was and the onions that came with it were uniquely flavored it really made the steak something special. Our only problem was a glass of wine my friend ordered. At first taste he thought it tasted a little off, I tasted it as well and agreed, when we mentioned this to the server she immediatly appologized asked if we simply wanted a different glass of the same wine or wanted a different wine all together. He opted for a different wine all together and was happy with the second choice. When we got our bill we were not charged for either glass, a classy way to fix the only hicup we had all night. The service was prompt and friendly. We had coffee and a yummy dessert and felt not rushed to free up the table. The Little Bird is a little place we will remember for any of our visits back to Portland. Yum!