“Decent Mexican food, but inconsistent service.”
Review of The Matador Bar - CLOSED

The Matador Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The food was your basic Mexican fare, and good enough. The patio was nice on a pleasant summer evening.

However, we had at least six or seven different servers bring various items to the table, and none of them really showed much personality or connected with us at all. Even with so many people apparently in on the game, the service was still pretty slow.

The final straw was a male server (who we hadn't seen yet) who came to take my empty plate away, asking "are you finished?" and then adding "except for licking the plate." This seemed rude and unnecessary (is he saying I ate too much? Should I have left some food to be wasted?) and just inappropriate. Just remember, the final impression you leave your patrons with is what they're going to remember about your establishment.

Overall, just so-so. I don't need top quality gourmet food, but I rarely re-visit a restaurant that provides sub-par customer service.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great atmosphere. Good happy hour prices. A good place to go with friends or a loved one.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Wonderful happy hour. Our sever was quick, professional and very friendly. Loved the margaritas and beer choices. A definite on my list.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

My wife and I were in Portland recently and stayed in the NW district. This is an area of mixed industrial buildings, victorian homes and trendy nightspots. Within walking distance of our motel on NW Vaughn there were numerous restaurants.

We chose "The Matador" one evening for dinner. Its a wonderful space with tasteful furnishings. The bar and seating areas are open to each other. The bar was lively with sports on the televisions and energetic music playing. Some people might not appreciate the music encroaching into the dining area but I thought enhanced the vibe.

On to the food! We both had carne asada enchiladas. She had the green sauce, I had the red. Both were mild and flavorful. The enchiladas were simply delicious. The side of rice was a different story. It was rather cold and we asked for a replacement. Our server graciously brought out some hot rice. My wife mentioned that the rice may have gotten cold because the plates were not heated. I suspect this may be the case. The enchiladas stayed hot but not the rice.

The temperature of the restaurant itself was also a little "cool". We were seated next to the windows and my wife said that she felt a draft. I didn't feel it where I sat across from her. I did notice though a woman in a booth nearby rubbing her bare arms to warm them.

I really wanted to like this place but it fell short of the mark.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Went here for a drink/happy hour before Screen Door opened down the street. Kinda wish I would have just stayed here.

They do have a happy hour but only on food not drinks. And their drinks aren't cheap, but my house margarita was good.

The have TVs at the bar. The restaurant is nice looking inside. The food looked really good. I'd like to go back for some food.

1  Thank plaidbagel