“Incredible meal!!”

Tasty n Sons
Ranked #18 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tasty n Sons is a neighborhood restaurant in North Portland, Oregon by restaurateur chef John Gorham serving inventive ‘new American diner’ cuisine. The sprawling, family-style menu features innovative dishes with diverse origins from the east coast and inspired by Chef Gorham’s travels and experiences with the vital immigrant community working in the restaurant industry whose own cultural traditions have helped re-shape American cuisine as a global collaboration of flavors. Tasty n Sons is also Portland’s go-to brunch spot, putting a Pacific Northwest twist on international breakfast fare. The beverage program boasts adventurous house ‘Tasty Cocktails’, an approachable wine and beer list, and a variety of unique aperitifs and digestifs.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After trying their sister restaurant, Toro Bravo, two nights ago, we decided to give Tasty & Sons a try. I thought that topping the meal that we had there was going to be difficult, but T&S managed to pull it off! The Cobb Salad (not something that we normally order) was incredible; the Shrimp & Grits made us all say "Wow"; the Cassoulet, though quite different from the traditional version, was tremendous, and my personal favourite of the evening; the Spaghetti Carbonara was to die for. As at TB, we tried the Panna Cotta for dessert, and it was amazing. This one was done with berries instead of caramel, but equally satisfying. These restauranteurs are doing incredible things with the fabulous ingredients available in the area, and it's heartening to see that they are being rewarded with big crowds. My only regret: not being able to try the third location (Tasty & Alder) during our visit -- oh well, there's always next time!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

went in around 10 on a monday morning so there was no line but by the time we were coming out there were many people waiting. everything is made family style and is brought to table when it is ready.
I ordered the morrocan chicken hash which was amazing, and my husband had a braised pork dish with eggs two ways which I found ok.

the service is friendly too

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Second time here for a sunday brunch.
No reservations are accepted, and the wait can be trying, and frankly not worth it.

The dishes are interesting and well-prepared. I liked the moroccan chicken hash (though somewhat too greasy and salty), and loved the creme brulee. The "big dishes" are not exactly generous. The house coffee is awfully acid, the decaf a welcome escape from it.

The main downside is the setup. The noise, due to the high ceiling and open kitchen, makes every conversation difficult, and the sitting is uncomfortable.

Overall, a good experience, but it falls short of the place's reputation.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I made the mistake of going here during what turned out to be their "happy hour" (between 2:30 and 5), which must be Portland-speak for "screw you". Only a very limited choice of small plates is available then, and normal restaurant seating is closed off--ones only choice is a large communal table, or stool seating around the perimeter of the front room. The only place with 2 seats together was at the communal table, so there we sat. It was actually fairly pleasant until 3 children, all under the age of 10, under the minimal supervision of their mother, were seated next to us. If I wanted to dine with small children, I would have had some. Food was fine, though only the biscuit and the polenta with sausage ragu lived up to the pretensions.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Getting in: not a fun experience and must be properly planned...as in "off-hours" and probably luck as no razzies available. Once in: social scene, pretty happening, not the most asthetically appealing but honestly who cares? Not there for a show. The food: Oh. My. God. The "Tasty" part of their name hits the nail on the head. We shared french toast: Tasty's version would make the French cower as it was so over-the-top fantabulous! Also ordered the cous cous/egg/sausage dish which put me into HEAVEN....the mix of flavors was so unique and superb and DIVINE. This place is a must...brave the lines or go at some weird time but JUST GO!