“Very good fish and chips”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #486 of 5,010 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Being a purist I stick with cod for my fish and chips. The large portion is a good size. I like the flakey batter not the crunchy. As long as the oil was recently changed it is good. The amount of tarter sauce you get is small so ask for extra.

Date of visit: October 2017
Write a reviewReviews (54)

Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

I have been here for fish and chips before, and I knew what to expect - only the best !!!

A special fish and chips is what I had, and I was not disappointed. Well worth the 600 miles I drove there and back to get them, and to top the meal off a bottle of Scotland 's other national drink Irn Bru.

I will be back again.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed June 28, 2017

The fish and chips are top-notch and were quickly prepared. The conversation with the chef in all his brogue was fantastic. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed May 4, 2017

It is one of the few carts truly open at 11AM. Other carts you can hear people working but the front window is not open. Also, when we were waiting for our food at 1115, they started opening their carts. He was pretty straightforward with our questions about today's prices, but if you're looking for conversation, even when no one else is waiting, he may not be your man. However, you're probably here just for the fried fish and chips, which were good. We had the haddock and it was one large filet rather than bits and pieces you might find at your nearby watering hole. The chips are not crinkle cut fries but considerable wedges of potatoes that are larger than steak fries. Crisp on the outside and smoking hot on the inside. I usually eat mine plain but needed ketchup to help cool them down even though we walked a few blocks away to eat. The price is fair for the quality you get here. For me, it's not the type of food I regularly eat but if I get a desire for fish and chips, I would definitely return here.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed October 17, 2016

It's nice that you can pick from different kinds of fish. He has cups with lids to place condiments if you ask for them.

Date of visit: October 2016