“Very good fish and chips”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #567 of 4,563 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: Here is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Frying-Scotsman-Portland/135370609444 This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed October 17, 2016

It's nice that you can pick from different kinds of fish. He has cups with lids to place condiments if you ask for them.

Reviewed September 29, 2016

Authentic fish and chips done to perfection. This is a walk-up trailer that is part of a large Portland food truck location. Fair price, great food. There is a park across the street that is popular for sitting and having lunch. Try the sauces. I will be back!

Reviewed July 27, 2016

The cart is owned by a Scotsman, and while friendly, he wasn't very chatty. He helped us decide on some items and we narrowed our order to:

Halibut n chips, large order
Haddock n chips, regular order
Bangers (sausage) and chips, regular order
3 diet cokes

The order came to $30 and change, and they were served piping hot. The next task was to find a place to eat. The Scotsman suggested going to the Courthouse Square, located 2 blocks to the left. It was a great place to enjoy our food cart lunch and people watch.

The fish was excellent, but the fries (chips) not so much. He did have HP sauce, ketchup, vinegar, etc to add to your food, but you had to literally splash it before leaving. I wish he offered little condiment cups or packets. Oh well.

Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

The food cart scene is cool - lots of options. Fish and chips sounded good so we stopped by here. Your choice of fish and a nice selection to choose from.

But mother of god it's so oily and greasy. The oil is not getting up to temp or something. We ripped all the batter off and just ate the fish, which was somehow overcooked.

Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

For 12 dollars you get two pieces of fish and chips. It was really good, but beware - there's a lot of oil in it.