“Delightful Fish & Chips”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #727 of 4,343 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: Here is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Frying-Scotsman-Portland/135370609444 This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Portland, Oregon
“Delightful Fish & Chips”
Reviewed June 27, 2016

A friend and I tried both the cod fish and chips and the haddock fish and chips. Both were delicious. The cod is a bit flakier and lighter than the haddock, but both were great. We watched him batter fresh fish right there in the cart and fry it up. The chips (french fries) looked hand cut and were also very fresh and tasty with a hearty portion. The fish was a bit greasy, but only because he didn't put them on any paper towel after taking them out of the fryer, so make sure to grab plenty of napkins. The price was so reasonable ($9ish). You'd easily pay $15 for the same dish in a local restaurant. You can grab your food here, and walk up a couple blocks south and eat at Directors Park.

• Visited June 2016

Portland, Oregon
“Best Fish and Chips outside the UK”
Reviewed June 19, 2016

I don't eat a lot of fish, but when I do, it better be good. And fried. Those are my only two requirements really. Oh and it has to be cod. No one does fried cod better than The Frying Scotsman, although his glorious accent alone would be reason enough to visit his food cart.He makes all of his fries by hand and you can really taste the difference. All the food is made to order so you will have to wait a bit, but believe me, it's worth it.

He has a variety of fish with some sold at a set price and others sold at market price. He also sells mushy peas in case you're a homesick Brit who needs to eat baby food peas.

Hands down the best food cart in Portland and the only one I'll overlook the the lack of appropriate hand washing facilities in order to eat the food.

• Visited April 2016
“Portland Experiential Learning”
Reviewed June 2, 2016

I took a trip with a group from my college and the one thing I wanted to try was fish from the Frying Scotsman…They did not disappoint. The fish and chips were so good that I went back twice during our visit… this speaks volumes as there are so many other choices at the food cart pod. Absolutely loved the chips and I am not a fry kind of person.

• Visited March 2016
Turlock, California
“Excited to be in Portland checking out the food ...”
Reviewed May 2, 2016

2 of our group of 5 were happy and the other 3 were not. 2 got sick and blamed the cod which was a bummer because I really wanted this to be a good place and thought it would be because of the reviews. 2 had halibut and were fine ... Fries were nothing special. Wanted it to be more of a Scottish experience .

• Visited March 2016
“Have driven to Portland just to eat here”
Reviewed February 3, 2016

Closest thing I have found to traditional English fish and chips. I always get both the fish and the battred sausage. I wish they were open on weekends as that is usually when I am in Portland, but I will admit I have gone to Portland for a day trip just to eat here.

Visited December 2015