“Best Fish and Chips outside the UK” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #749 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Fast Food, Seafood, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Here is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Frying-Scotsman-Portland/135370609444 This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Portland, Oregon
“Best Fish and Chips outside the UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2016

I don't eat a lot of fish, but when I do, it better be good. And fried. Those are my only two requirements really. Oh and it has to be cod. No one does fried cod better than The Frying Scotsman, although his glorious accent alone would be reason enough to visit his food cart.He makes all of his fries by hand and you can really taste the difference. All the food is made to order so you will have to wait a bit, but believe me, it's worth it.

He has a variety of fish with some sold at a set price and others sold at market price. He also sells mushy peas in case you're a homesick Brit who needs to eat baby food peas.

Hands down the best food cart in Portland and the only one I'll overlook the the lack of appropriate hand washing facilities in order to eat the food.

• Visited April 2016

“Portland Experiential Learning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2016

I took a trip with a group from my college and the one thing I wanted to try was fish from the Frying Scotsman…They did not disappoint. The fish and chips were so good that I went back twice during our visit… this speaks volumes as there are so many other choices at the food cart pod. Absolutely loved the chips and I am not a fry kind of person.

• Visited March 2016
Turlock, California
“Excited to be in Portland checking out the food ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2016

2 of our group of 5 were happy and the other 3 were not. 2 got sick and blamed the cod which was a bummer because I really wanted this to be a good place and thought it would be because of the reviews. 2 had halibut and were fine ... Fries were nothing special. Wanted it to be more of a Scottish experience .

• Visited March 2016
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Have driven to Portland just to eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2016

Closest thing I have found to traditional English fish and chips. I always get both the fish and the battred sausage. I wish they were open on weekends as that is usually when I am in Portland, but I will admit I have gone to Portland for a day trip just to eat here.

Visited December 2015
Redlands, California
“Five Kinds of Fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2016

The Frying Scotsman offers five kinds of fish for deep-frying: cod, haddock, halibut, red snapper and mahi-mahi. In addition, you can have the fish fried panko style, as opposed to the regular batter, and can try haggis, mushy peas, or even a deep fried Mars bar. I've never seen more than two kinds of fish available for frying in this way. The proprietor suggested haddock when I pressed him for the best kind, but I chose the red-snapper because I've never seen red-snapper available for battered frying. The red-snapper was firmer and stronger than I think other kinds of fish would have been, but what I expected. The fish was good, not the best I've ever had, but good, and the selection could not be beat. I would like to try all five kinds and do a taste comparison, but that will have to wait until I can get to Portland again.

Visited January 2016