“Portland Experiential Learning” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #751 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Fast Food, Seafood, British
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Here is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Frying-Scotsman-Portland/135370609444 This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
“Portland Experiential Learning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2016

I took a trip with a group from my college and the one thing I wanted to try was fish from the Frying Scotsman…They did not disappoint. The fish and chips were so good that I went back twice during our visit… this speaks volumes as there are so many other choices at the food cart pod. Absolutely loved the chips and I am not a fry kind of person.

• Visited March 2016

Turlock, California
“Excited to be in Portland checking out the food ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2016

2 of our group of 5 were happy and the other 3 were not. 2 got sick and blamed the cod which was a bummer because I really wanted this to be a good place and thought it would be because of the reviews. 2 had halibut and were fine ... Fries were nothing special. Wanted it to be more of a Scottish experience .

• Visited March 2016
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Have driven to Portland just to eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2016

Closest thing I have found to traditional English fish and chips. I always get both the fish and the battred sausage. I wish they were open on weekends as that is usually when I am in Portland, but I will admit I have gone to Portland for a day trip just to eat here.

Visited December 2015
Redlands, California
“Five Kinds of Fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2016

The Frying Scotsman offers five kinds of fish for deep-frying: cod, haddock, halibut, red snapper and mahi-mahi. In addition, you can have the fish fried panko style, as opposed to the regular batter, and can try haggis, mushy peas, or even a deep fried Mars bar. I've never seen more than two kinds of fish available for frying in this way. The proprietor suggested haddock when I pressed him for the best kind, but I chose the red-snapper because I've never seen red-snapper available for battered frying. The red-snapper was firmer and stronger than I think other kinds of fish would have been, but what I expected. The fish was good, not the best I've ever had, but good, and the selection could not be beat. I would like to try all five kinds and do a taste comparison, but that will have to wait until I can get to Portland again.

Visited January 2016
Austin, Texas
“Excellent Halibut Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2015

Went for lunch. Halibut fried well. Almost too much coating, almost. Fish was firm and flakey. Excellent meal.

Chef Kim was a pleasure to take talk with.

Visited December 2015