“Excited to be in Portland checking out the food ...”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #727 of 4,343 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: Here is his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Frying-Scotsman-Portland/135370609444 This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Turlock, California
“Excited to be in Portland checking out the food ...”
Reviewed May 2, 2016

2 of our group of 5 were happy and the other 3 were not. 2 got sick and blamed the cod which was a bummer because I really wanted this to be a good place and thought it would be because of the reviews. 2 had halibut and were fine ... Fries were nothing special. Wanted it to be more of a Scottish experience .

• Visited March 2016

“Have driven to Portland just to eat here”
Reviewed February 3, 2016

Closest thing I have found to traditional English fish and chips. I always get both the fish and the battred sausage. I wish they were open on weekends as that is usually when I am in Portland, but I will admit I have gone to Portland for a day trip just to eat here.

Visited December 2015
Redlands, California
“Five Kinds of Fish”
Reviewed January 17, 2016

The Frying Scotsman offers five kinds of fish for deep-frying: cod, haddock, halibut, red snapper and mahi-mahi. In addition, you can have the fish fried panko style, as opposed to the regular batter, and can try haggis, mushy peas, or even a deep fried Mars bar. I've never seen more than two kinds of fish available for frying in this way. The proprietor suggested haddock when I pressed him for the best kind, but I chose the red-snapper because I've never seen red-snapper available for battered frying. The red-snapper was firmer and stronger than I think other kinds of fish would have been, but what I expected. The fish was good, not the best I've ever had, but good, and the selection could not be beat. I would like to try all five kinds and do a taste comparison, but that will have to wait until I can get to Portland again.

Visited January 2016
Austin, Texas
“Excellent Halibut Fish and Chips”
Reviewed December 12, 2015

Went for lunch. Halibut fried well. Almost too much coating, almost. Fish was firm and flakey. Excellent meal.

Chef Kim was a pleasure to take talk with.

Visited December 2015
Ottawa, Canada
“Great!”
Reviewed October 26, 2015

This was a little difficult to find, but well worth the trip. As a big fish and chips fan, this is one of the best I've had. Also discovered a great drink IRN BRU, from GB.

• Visited October 2015