“Average fish and chips”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #488 of 5,014 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed July 22, 2015

Ive eaten alot of fish and chips all around the states and i could say these were average. The fry oil smelled and tasted like it need to be changed. Cod was fine, service was all you could expect from a food cart. The actual price was higher than on their web site.

Date of visit: July 2015
Write a reviewReviews (54)

Reviewed June 30, 2015

this was truly the worst I've ever eaten. Flavorless chips- great size though but ice has more taste.
The fish was large but how can anyone louse up haddock so badly? I really felt that the whole operation was very poorly set up.
First, no seating, anywhere. You have to walk a block to a park that's infested with drunks sleeping in the shadowed areas or dodge the people talking to themselves.
Poor condiments- ketchup tasted awful. Only malt vinegar. No lemon, just squeeze juice from a bottle- that's the way to impress customers!
I've had better from a city-run concession stand at one of vancouver's beaches!

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed June 9, 2015 via mobile

I tried this food-cart on a mid-day Saturday. He had already ran out of mostly everything; I was able to get the cod and chips. Good fish, it was seasoned well and had a nice texture. The tartar sauce was good too thats important for me, i was pleased! Fries, eh....The only thing about fish and chip and thats everybody's fish and chips was "The Grease Factor" ugh... I was we could think of a way to eliminate the awful greasiness of Fish and Chips!

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed May 5, 2015

The Frying Scotsman food cart in downtown Portland serves the best halibut fish & chips I've ever had. A must for a complete Portland OR experience.

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed March 31, 2015

Location: Downtown Portland where all of the food trucks are located!

Customer Service: Fast considering the line!!!!

Decor: It's a small white food truck.

Presentation of Food: Big portion of fried fish and thick cut steak fries.

How did the food taste?: AMAZING! I've had plenty of fish n chips back in the Bay Area but this place takes the crown. Nice golden crisp on the outside and smoking hot and soft fish in the inside. The fries completely compliments the fish. They are just as crispy and sooo gooooood!

Overall Experience: Hands down a must go to food truck!!!

Would I Come Back?: Yes if ever in Portland!

Date of visit: March 2015