TripAdvisor
Portland
Post
Inbox
Search

“Best Fish n' Chips EVER!”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #75 of 272 Quick Bites in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed March 31, 2015

Location: Downtown Portland where all of the food trucks are located!

Customer Service: Fast considering the line!!!!

Decor: It's a small white food truck.

Presentation of Food: Big portion of fried fish and thick cut steak fries.

How did the food taste?: AMAZING! I've had plenty of fish n chips back in the Bay Area but this place takes the crown. Nice golden crisp on the outside and smoking hot and soft fish in the inside. The fries completely compliments the fish. They are just as crispy and sooo gooooood!

Overall Experience: Hands down a must go to food truck!!!

Would I Come Back?: Yes if ever in Portland!

Date of visit: March 2015
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed March 2, 2015

I had lunch here during my recent visit to Portland, and I must say, it was delicious. Really good fish and chips. I love fish and chips and usually try them wherever I go. The Flying Scotsman is a food cart in the big food cart lot at SW 9th and Adler. It was great. I really enjoyed my meal. I had the cod. One of my colleagues had the Halibut and the other had a different type of fish. We all enjoyed our meals.

Try it...you will enjoy the meal.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed October 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped at a few different food trucks/carts and we both enjoyed our fish and fries. The fish wasn't overly breaded but the breading that was on it fried up incredibly crisp. The fish itself was moist and delicious and didn't need any additional seasoning. The fries were hot and the malt vinegar was an authentic touch of Scotland/Britain.

Reviewed October 10, 2014

I've been visiting Portland for years now and having hear so much from my son about The Frying Scotsman, I eventually got to visit it earlier this month. My husband and I decided to share a portion of cod and chips and we weren't disappointed. The portion was huge and was so tasty that we promised ourselves we would go back again on the following day. Unfortunately, we didn't make it back but we will definitely be returning in the very near future.

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank Erins-Isle22
Reviewed October 8, 2014

Based on some reviews, my hubby and I decided to hit this food truck for lunch while staying in downtown Portland. We opted to split a large order of the haddock and chips, which was more than enough for two hungry people to share for lunch. Judging from the line, we were definitely not the only ones ordering from this truck. Credit cards are accepted.

When we received our order, we walked over to a nearby square and dug in. The fish was cooked perfectly, not cold in the middle like many fish and chips orders seem to be. The fish seemed fresh, although I'm sure it spent some time in a freezer at some point. The fries were thick cut, proper British style. They are supposed to be doused in vinegar, hence little seasoning. If you don't like vinegar, make sure to throw some pepper on them. The homemade tartar sauce was really good. The cole slaw was also fresh and tasty.

I would definitely recommend checking out this if you like fried fish.

Date of visit: September 2014