TripAdvisor
Portland
Post
Inbox
Search

“Nicest Fish and Chips in Portland”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #75 of 272 Quick Bites in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed October 10, 2014

I've been visiting Portland for years now and having hear so much from my son about The Frying Scotsman, I eventually got to visit it earlier this month. My husband and I decided to share a portion of cod and chips and we weren't disappointed. The portion was huge and was so tasty that we promised ourselves we would go back again on the following day. Unfortunately, we didn't make it back but we will definitely be returning in the very near future.

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank Erins-Isle22
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed October 8, 2014

Based on some reviews, my hubby and I decided to hit this food truck for lunch while staying in downtown Portland. We opted to split a large order of the haddock and chips, which was more than enough for two hungry people to share for lunch. Judging from the line, we were definitely not the only ones ordering from this truck. Credit cards are accepted.

When we received our order, we walked over to a nearby square and dug in. The fish was cooked perfectly, not cold in the middle like many fish and chips orders seem to be. The fish seemed fresh, although I'm sure it spent some time in a freezer at some point. The fries were thick cut, proper British style. They are supposed to be doused in vinegar, hence little seasoning. If you don't like vinegar, make sure to throw some pepper on them. The homemade tartar sauce was really good. The cole slaw was also fresh and tasty.

I would definitely recommend checking out this if you like fried fish.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I love Portland's food carts and am always trying to discover the great ones. A 2013 article suggested that The Frying Scotsman was one of the top 21 food carts in the city, so I checked it out. I don't agree. The French fries are terrible, lumps of potato with no seasoning at all. I ordered the cod upon the recommendation of the gentleman in the truck. It was flaky and perfectly fried; however, it needed seasoning as well. Also, both the fries and the fish were very greasy, which is to be expected when eating fried food. But, they weren't good enough to justify the amount of grease. I ended up giving more than half of my meal to a co-worker, who also agreed with me that the fish was perfectly fried, but in need of more seasoning. If you have lots of time in Portland or live in Portland, sure you can give this place a try. But, if you have limited time, then shuffle around the corner to the Washington street side and go to the Noodle House (delicious seafood noodles and the best chicken fried rice I've ever had) or The People's Pig (the porchetta is a must try!). Even the Grill Cheese cart on 10th will have better food. Or the Georgian food cart, Kargi Go Go, also on Washington, a couple of carts over from the Noodle House with a cheesy bread with flavor that definitely makes up for the grease!

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

So ordered my good and sat waiting all seemed ok until my fiancée sees a member of staff was behind the counter eating. He was asked to put a roll in and so licked his fingers and then picked his nose before putting the roll in the toaster. Wouldn't want to be eating that roll tonight. For me that's unforgivable and I won't be coming back!!!!!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

If traveling through Portland, you MUST stop at this fish and chips stand., He has multiple types of fish, my favorites being Red Snapper and Haddock. Absolutely delicious. He makes his own tartar sauce to go with it! Every time I'm in Portland, I make sure to stop by. You can get a 2 piece order or 4 piece order. 2 pieces doesn't look like much, but I find it incredibly filling. We often will order a 4 piece box and share it and we are both full by the end. The handcut fries are also great. Everything is made to order (as it should be), and when it is slow, I will often chat with the very friendly shop owner. He actually has some pretty interesting stories if you care to ask.

Pros:
-Amazing Food
-Fresh
-Friendly Chef/Owner

Cons:
-About a 10 minute wait during busy times (Not bad for me, but might bother others)
-Only in Portland (but it would lose its charm otherwise)

Date of visit: September 2013