“The Best Fish n Chips in PDX”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #503 of 4,626 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

You don't have to go looking for the best fish n chips, when it's all here and ready for the taking, at this lil cart in downtown PDX. I recommend the haddock n chips for the best deal ($9.00). The full size comes with 2 crispy pieces of golden fried goodness, along with traditional English style "chips" (that's the term for freedom fries, for you overcharged patriot types!). Drizzle a lil malt vinegar and shake some salt onto the chips and you are good to go! Make sure you go when you are super hungry, because it is really filling, and if you are just lookin' to satisfry a craving for something fried and fishy, you will have leftovers, and anything like this as leftovers does not fare well as a born again meal.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Used to be top quality with an excellent batter and fish, but fish quality has definitely slipped enough to no longer be a choice.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

You really can't go wrong with most of the food trucks around Portland. It's quite the place to satisfy whatever taste you may be searching for...and if you happen to be searching after a drinking few locally brewed beers, then you have to stop at The Frying Scotsman.

Simply put, this small food truck has great fish n chips. You can get it made with many different types of fish. We tried the haddock and red snapper, and both were well breaded, crispy and fresh. Everything is made from scratch by the cook/owner James and there is no questioning his dedication and ability. If it is good enough to be featured on Eat Street, then it's good enough for us.

Apart from the food, if you aren't familiar with Portland food trucks you'll find seating to be part of the excitement of eating outside. Some trucks have their own picnic table, or maybe a few chairs here and there. We sat on the curb and ate while people were flying by on their bikes or crawling along in their cars. It was definitely more memorable for those reasons. The sights and sounds of city go well with such a simple dish.

Try this place if you enjoy the feeling of being full on greasy fish n chips. The portions are generous and the service is unique. It's definitely better than good, but it's best after a few beers. Actually, with or without beer, you'll walk so much in Portland it won't matter.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The best fish and chips I have had. We decided on the Cod, because we were not sure about haddock. The fish was perfectly cooked and the batter fried up pefectly. Chips great as well. Our Son, loved it and wanted more. This is a must stop if trying out the Portland Food Carts. Friendly service and answered all my husband questions. We went at noon on a Tueday and it was not horribly busy at any of the food carts. You place your order then when your order is called out you pay and receive your order. Which I prefer. Service was quick for perfectly fried fish and chips.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have seen and heard so much about this place that on a recent trip to Portland we felt we had to do this. We were not disappointed. We had a large haddock and chips. While I really enjoyed the fish, I wish I would have chosen halibut. It is more familiar to us. The haddock had almost a metallic aftertaste. We also had the deep fried mars bar which needs to be eaten right away. It will taste fishy and is oily later. Prices were great for portion sizes!